Swelling of the cheek after tooth extraction
Many wonder what to do if afterthe removal of the tooth swelled out the cheek. One of the main symptoms of the development of inflammation after tooth extraction is swelling of the cheeks. In some cases, the tumor is not a dangerous natural phenomenon and does not pose a cause for concern. But sometimes you need to immediately seek help from a dentist.
When swelling is not a threat to health
Do not worry if:
- the swelling of the cheek and gum after removal is not pronounced and does not tend to increase;
- No temperature or no tendency to itincrease (it should be borne in mind that if the tooth was removed against the background of inflammation, and during the operation you already had a fever, then a slight increase the next day is considered normal);
- After the tooth was pulled out by the surrounding personthe area does not hurt much, the pain that has arisen after the tooth has been removed should gradually decrease, as a rule, the cheek hurts when it is injured in the process or after removal of the nerve and wisdom tooth;
- from the hole after removal does not feel the unpleasant odor that occurs as a consequence of the rotting of the blood clot.
If the cheek is swollen, it is probably worth looking to the dentist.
Swollen cheek and lip after tooth extraction with higherlisted conditions is not an excuse to start active operations. Observe within 24 hours how the edema develops. And if you did not notice any worsening, but on the contrary, the tumor began to decrease, then a visit to the dentist is not necessary.
When it is necessary to urgently run to the doctor
Go to the dentist as soon as possible in the following cases:
- if the cheek swells and hurts the next morning after tooth extraction and the swelling becomes more and more;
- in the place where the tooth was removed, there is a significantpain and tendencies to reduce them are not observed (severe pain is considered the norm, only after a difficult removal with bone cutting, in other cases, if something hurts, this is an occasion for an urgent visit to the doctor);
- In soft tissues, there is a growing tension, especially if the nerve was pulped or the operation is associated with the wisdom teeth;
- increased temperature, accompanied by poor health, is a consequence of intoxication of the body;
- opening of the mouth became difficult, sore throat when swallowing;
- there is an unpleasant smell of decay from the socket of the torn tooth.
If you notice at least one and listedsymptoms in yourself after some time as a tooth was removed, it is recommended to immediately seek help from a dentist. Flushing the well, laying the medicine, prescribing antibiotics, carrying a laxative gum incision will significantly improve your condition and stop the occurrence of serious complications.
If the swelling occurred 3-4 days after the tooth was removed
As a rule, a tumor after tooth extractionmanifests by the end of the day or the morning after the operation. The appearance of puffiness after a few days is an unfavorable symptom, especially if it hurts in the mouth. Very often this is due to the suppuration of the blood clot, which develops gradually, or the blood clot did not form in the hole or was washed out of it during rinsing, which triggered the development of an empty hole in the inflammation. This inflammation is called the alveolitis.
If the mouth smells like acetone, it's a very disturbing sign. What he says, you can read here.
In case of alveolitis, mouth rinsing will not helpantiseptics, or taking antibiotics. Only the removal of the necrotic decay of food remnants and a blood clot that the doctor will produce and special medicines put into the hole will be able to cope with this problem.
Sometimes the cause of a tumor can be a smallhematoma formed on the gum, after the tooth was pulled out. In the first few days, it can not cause inconvenience, but on 3-4 days gum aches all the more strongly, a pronounced swelling of the cheek. This is a symptom of suppuration and requires immediate intervention by the dentist.
Quite often after the removal of the nerve before the filling of the tooth, the cheek swells in a few days. Basically, this is due to the mistake of the doctor himself, who, through negligence, did not completely clean the channels.
It is not uncommon for a tumor to be removed after a tooth extraction - an occasion to visit a dentist again.
The tooth was removed on the background of inflammation
If the tooth hurts a long time, but you do not dareto come to the reception to the dentist, considering whether it is necessary to remove it (especially if it's a wisdom tooth). When removing the inflamed tooth, it is not possible to prevent infection in the well.
For this reason, edema and inflammation are formed, andthe whole adjoining area hurts. For the prevention of alveolitis, the doctor must, after removal, rinse the well with an antiseptic solution, put the medicine and prescribe a course of antibiotics. But even these mandatory measures do not guarantee 100 percent that the inflammation will not develop in the future.
In severe cases, the dentist, when removed, has to cut a bone or make incisions of the mucosa, which significantly injures surrounding tissues. Especially acute react to this soft tissue.
The next morning you will notice a pronounced swelling on your cheek. If something hurts in your mouth, you doubt whether or not to remove the wisdom tooth, do not wait for complications, go for advice to a doctor
Have removed 8 tooth (wisdom tooth)
If you have removed the wisdom tooth, then in addition totumors may manifest and other unpleasant symptoms. You may have difficulty opening your mouth and swallowing problems. In some cases, when the wisdom tooth is pulled out, the cheek is swollen so much that it causes asymmetry in the face. The norm is considered only when removing 8 teeth and provided that these symptoms gradually decrease.
If the cheek is swollen when the wisdom tooth is removed,the temperature has risen and a putrid smell is heard - this is the reason for visiting a dentist and can not be broken. It should be borne in mind that after the removal of the wisdom tooth, the tumor can last for several days.
With the removal, a gum incision was made
If, during removal, the doctor discovers a swelling,then if an abscess is suspected, an incision is made on the gum. This contributes to the outflow of pus, which accumulates in the soft tissues surrounding the tooth, and reduces the risk of developing a second inflammation. In this case, the swelling of the cheek will increase compared to the swelling of the cheek before the tooth is removed.
Edema and special groups of people
People with high blood pressure (hypertension) and the category of people who have a significant layer of subcutaneous fat are prone to the formation of edema even with a simple removal.
Why the teeth turn yellow, you will learn here.
What is recommended if a tooth is removed
To remove the cheek after tooth extraction, there is no inflammation, bleeding and bruising, it is necessary to adhere to all the recommendations that are presented below.
If the tooth is removed and the hole continues to bleed,then the doctor will put a gauze pad for a while. It should be remembered that the blood swab is a wonderful hotbed of infection and should be removed as soon as the blood stops. Remove the tampon should be extremely cautious, because together with it you can damage and formed a blood clot, which can subsequently lead to suppuration.
At the first opportunity after tooth extraction, inincluding the wisdom tooth, to avoid or reduce the swelling of the soft tissues of the face, apply a cold to the cheek. The simplest option would be a piece of meat pulled from the freezer and wrapped in a towel. Apply ice four times for a short time, 5-7 minutes. Cold helps only for several hours after removal, applying later will not give any positive results. It is strictly forbidden to make hot compresses - inflammation is ensured.
Inflammation of the well in the diagram.
What is not recommended if the tooth has been removed
If the removal was difficult and time-consumingsawing out a fragment of a bone or made unprofessionally with trauma of surrounding tissues, then to prevent strong pain sensations the doctor can recommend you to take an anesthetic before the anesthesia has ended. It should be cautious about taking pain medications, since the increasing pain signals the development of complications. What to do is strictly not recommended:
- in the first two days do not caress your mouth so as not to wash the blood clot;
- Do not take a hot bath immediately after surgery;
- Do not eat in the first 3 hours after removal, warm drinking is not prohibited;
- not to provoke bleeding should not be engaged in heavy work, especially if you have removed the wisdom tooth;
- categorically it is forbidden to pick one's tongue or foreign object in the wound;
- Do not smoke immediately after you have pulled out a tooth and your cheek is swollen;
- drinks containing alcohol are contraindicated in the first 24 hours, but if you were prescribed a course of antibiotics, then alcohol will have to be abandoned for the entire duration of taking the medicine.
At dissection of the abscess, if present in the oralcavities of carious teeth containing a lot of pathogenic infection, for preventive purposes, rinse with antiseptic solutions. It must be remembered that the solution must be typed into the mouth, hold it a little and spit it out. Do not rinse gently so as not to rinse out the blood clot that formed at the site of removal and prevents the inflammatory process.