Edema of the nose after using vasoconstrictive drops
Runny nose in children forces parents to usevarious drops in the nose, as the sick child is capricious, badly eats and sleeps. To find out when to use anti-inflammatory drops, you need to consider all the features of the action of these drugs.
Causes of a cold in children of different ages
Coryza and his constant companions - drops in the nose -appear in children almost from the moment of birth. The first manifestations of the rhinitis frighten young parents who believe that the main and necessary action in this case is the use of drops. This is not always the case, in some cases the choice of a remedy against inflammation and a cold is a very important and responsible procedure.
The newborn is practically absentown immunity, able to combat the pathogens of various diseases. Some of the immunity was given to the "inheritance", the part stimulates the use of maternal milk with antibodies to diseases, which she herself had suffered. Weak immunity poorly copes with various infections and runny nose in small children - the usual condition.
Another reason for frequent colds with abundant formation of mucous discharge from the nose is poor thermoregulation in a small child.
If the baby is too warm to wear, and his,sweating, flowing with a stream of cold air, he can catch cold, weak immunity will fail and dormant infection will manifest as a runny nose, cough and temperature. The worst thing that parents can do at this point is to start using vasoconstrictive drops in the nose. They have many contraindications, they are addictive, dry mucous, frequent palpitations and other side effects.
Some types of drops are contraindicated for children up to the age of two, and for the bacterial nature of the cold, only specific anti-inflammatory drops for children can help.
Influence of anti-inflammatory drops on the health of the child
Like any medicine, the use ofanti-inflammatory drops should be performed under the supervision of a physician, and the agent itself should be appointed a specialist. You can not just go to the pharmacy and buy the first drops.
Each of these drugs has its ownspecific purpose, directed at certain goals, as well as a list of limitations, contraindications and side effects. Arbitrarily chosen drops at best will not have any effect, at worst - exacerbate the course of the disease or harm the baby's health.
To help the drops to fight the common cold, they must meet the following requirements:
- To be registered by the attending physician. Independently to get medicine for a child, especially a very small one, it is impossible, this can put his health and even life at serious risk.
- Designed specifically for children. Drops for adults have a friend dosage and can contain substances that are strictly forbidden to children.
- Correspond to the age of the small patient. Some drops are contraindicated for children until they reach a certain age.
- Apply properly and strictly on the advice of a doctor. Increasing or decreasing the frequency of application and dosage can cause undesirable effects.
- Do not use for longer than three consecutive days. If the remedy does not help, then it is chosen incorrectly or does not correspond to the child's illness.
Read also: Sinupret in drops: instructions for use
Anti-inflammatory drops for children can contain antibiotics, adrenaline, hormonal drugs - corticosteroids.
In addition to side effects, such drugs can cause allergies, so they are appointed by the doctor with great care, especially if the baby is prone to allergic reactions or suffers from diathesis.
Simple compliance with these simple rules will help not only cure the child, but also protect him from the undesirable consequences of improper use of medicines.
Anti-inflammatory nasal drops for children
It should immediately be noted that so popularVasoconstrictive drops with almost instantaneous effect mostly have no anti-inflammatory effect. Most often, anti-inflammatory drops have a complex composition, which includes several active substances, or they exert such an effect due to the natural properties of the constituent components.
For example, oil-based preparations cangive only a vasoconstrictive effect or else act also anti-inflammatory, softening and moisturizing the nasal mucosa. So the droplets on the basis of vegetable coniferous oils work, for example, the very popular Pinosol. This preparation contains in its composition oils of medicinal plants:
- Pines or Pines
- Tocopherol acetate (vitamin E).
Due to this composition and soft oil basePinosol has an anti-inflammatory effect, but it is negligible. Also, this drug is not able to immediately stop the flow of mucus, because it does not contain vasoconstrictor substances. Its action is gradual, but very soft, delicate. However, preparations based on vegetable and essential oils can cause lubricated or acute allergic reactions.
More information about the common cold in children can be found in the video.
Anti-inflammatory drops for children withantibacterial effect contain one or more antibiotics and hormonal drugs - Hydrocortisone, Dexamethasone and others. They are prescribed only in the common cold of bacterial origin and have no positive effect on its other species. The use of these drops is strictly limited in time, if the medicine does not have a pronounced effect, it is either abolished altogether, or changed to a preparation containing another antibiotic.
Effects of various anti-inflammatory drops
- Protargol. It is a solution of colloidal silver, has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and astringent effect. This drug is used from the moment of the birth of the child to the light, in maternity hospitals it is dripped to the newborn in the eye as a preventative against blepharitis. The effect of the drug is based on the anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of silver. Protargol is used only for the doctor's prescription most often in the form of 1% solution, less often 2% for children over 2 years old. Drops has a short shelf life and are purchased in the prescription department of pharmacies. Protargol is effective only against bacteria and fungi, it does not affect viruses. Has no vasoconstrictive effect.
- Bioparox. It is an antibacterial preparation with a wide spectrum of action against bacterial and fungal lesions. Produced in the form of a spray, prescribed by a doctor to children over the age of 2.5 years. Has no vasoconstrictive effect. May cause allergic reactions, not effective against viruses.
- Isophra. It is an antibacterial preparation of a broad spectrum of action based on the antibiotic of Framicetin. Form release - spray, is prescribed by a doctor to children over 1 year old. It does not have the ability to narrow the vessels, so it does not give an instantaneous effect. In the absence of a positive reaction after the expiration of 3 days of use, the drug should be changed to another or canceled altogether.
- Polidex. This drug combines two different antibiotics: Neomycin and Polymyxin B, corticosteroid Dexamethasone and vasoconstrictor Phenylephrine. Thanks to such a combination of active substances, Polidex removes nasal congestion, fights infection, has anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anti-edematous effect. It is appointed by the attending physician to children older than 2.5 years.
Read also: Rinse the nose with salt: the best recipes and washing procedure
The use of each of these types of drugs cancause side effects, so it requires monitoring of the child's reaction. The slightest suspicion of a negative action entails the cancellation of the medicine.
Folk remedies that act as droplets with anti-inflammatory effect
In folk medicine there are many prescriptions of drops from the juice of plants that have a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect and can be used for children.
At once it is necessary to note, that such actions should be coordinated with the pediatrist, especially if it is a very small child or having a tendency to allergies.
- Aloe. The juice of this healing plant is helpful in cases of severe mucosal inflammation, with swelling and crusting. It happens that the baby scratches the crusts, trying to clean the nose yourself. This leads to the formation of wounds, which can be very painful and bleed. Burying freshly squeezed aloe juice helps to remove inflammation and heal wounds. Do this immediately after receiving the juice, because in the air, it quickly loses its useful properties. The child may not like this procedure - the juice has a bitter taste.
- Kalanchoe. This plant is not only used as anti-inflammatory drops in the nose for children, its juice has a vasoconstrictive effect and quickly removes the swelling and stuffiness of the nose. The Kalanchoe juice can inhibit the pathogenic flora. Like scarlet, it has a rather sharp bitterish taste, which the kids do not like when they enter the nasopharynx and mouth.
- Honey. In folk medicine it is recommended to use the property of honey to remove inflammation and quickly heal irritated mucous membranes. Honey has unique healing properties, including anti-inflammatory, but it can be dangerous with unpredictable allergic reactions. Strictly forbidden to small children under 3 years and babies with different forms of allergy.
- Beet. This plant produces juice, which has an anti-inflammatory effect and is well tolerated by children. In addition to eliminating inflammation, beet juice removes the swelling of mucous membranes and promotes active removal of mucus. It has no bitter taste and is tolerated fairly even by capricious babies. Only freshly squeezed juice is used, for which metal was used, so that the liquid is not oxidized. Beet juice is dripped 3 drops in each nostril three times a day.
Read also: How to properly wash the nose with Dolphin: the preparation of the solution and the procedure for washing
Risking the health of a child using anti-inflammatory drops according to the recipes of traditional medicine, without consulting a doctor is not worth it. The danger of causing complications is higher the smaller the child.
Correct use of anti-inflammatory drops for children of different ages
In no case can not drip, threw back his headbaby back. With this method, drops can easily enter the respiratory tract, the child may choke, and the active substances of anti-inflammatory drops can cause serious health problems.
Even more dangerous is the use of sprays - their inhalationcan provoke not only acute allergic reactions up to anaphylactic shock, but also cause bronchospasm. This threatens the child with hospitalization and serious harm to health.
Bury the drops to the child after a preliminary cleaning of the accumulated mucus.
For this you can drip into the spout of specialdrops with sea salt, apply oil or saline, not even carbonated mineral water. The purpose of such manipulation is to dilute the mucus as much as possible without causing nasopharyngeal irritation. After that, you need to cleanse the child's nose (in a very small slime you can quickly remove a small rubber syringe), an older child can gently blow his nose. Do not forget to explain to the baby that at the same time you need to tighten your nostrils one at a time and try not to blow your nose very hard, since your ears may suffer.
After cleaning the nose, you can start applyinganti-inflammatory drops. The child's head is turned to one side and the drug is buried in the nostril below. With this method, the drops do not flow down the nasopharynx, but fall into the inflamed maxillary sinuses, cleaning them and removing inflammation. A similar operation is done with another nostril. It is necessary to wait after each instillation, that the liquid has got to destination, instead of has poured outwards.
Do not exceed the number of drops of the drug, especially with complex preparations containing anti-inflammatory substances and antibiotics.
This can be very harmful, especially for toddlers. Only strict adherence to doctor's prescriptions can make anti-inflammatory drops in the nose for children really useful and safe.
- Analogs of Pinosol - types, description and ...
- Types of drugs for washing the nose and ...
- The most effective solutions for ...
- How to apply Bioparox correctly ...