Edema of the perineum after childbirth
Many physiological factors explainpuffiness accompanying the last weeks of pregnancy. The strongest thing is getting to the feet: the load on them increases with the growth of the fetus, and the enlarged uterus presses on the vessels of the perineum, disrupting the outflow of blood. Normally, the swelling of the legs after childbirth passes in a week or two, even if nothing is done with them. Appeals to the doctor are necessary if the legs are still swelling despite the preventive measures taken.
Why swollen legs after childbirth
Waiting for the child hormonal background of a womanchanges, which leads to a fluid retention in the body. At the same time, the volume of circulating blood also increases - it is required not only by the mother, but also by the growing baby. In the absence of complications, swelling after delivery will disappear on their own as they return to normal status.
Some circumstances slow this process. The following reasons explain why many mothers swell legs after childbirth:
- Wrong diet and confused mode of the day -cares for the baby require high physical activity, regardless of the time of day, which causes swelling of tired legs. Fascination with fried or salty foods also slows the elimination of the liquid.
- Varicose veins - to developmentthe disease predisposes a violation of blood circulation in the legs, caused by fetal pressure on the perineal vessels. Weak valves of the veins or non-elasticity of the venous walls cause the progression of the disease in the postpartum period.
- An exacerbation of a cystitis - thus it is felt nojushchaja a pain in the bottom of a stomach which it is easy to confuse with the general morbidity of a perineum after sorts.
- Violation of kidney function - if duringbearing the kidney poorly coping with the load, then at the end of pregnancy, they continue to slowly remove the liquid. The likelihood of swelling is increased if the mother's history has chronic diseases (pyelonephritis, etc.).
- Diseases of the heart - increased stress on the heart inthis period with the weakness of the heart muscle leads to a slowing of blood flow in the legs and characteristic swelling. In doing so, they can climb their legs to the perineum.
What to do if the legs swell
If swelling after birth is caused by naturalchanges in the body, then no special measures should be taken. You can do simple physical exercises, helping to quickly put your feet in order:
- climbing on tiptoe;
- rotation with feet;
- squeezing and unclenching of the toes;
- massage of feet, legs and thighs.
All this improves blood circulation and accelerates the fluid accumulated in the subcutaneous tissue.
Normalization of the regimen of the day and an increase in the rest time will help to remove swelling, arising from the fatigue of the mother. It is also necessary to revise the diet, eliminating spicy and salty foods, fried foods.
But what if the swelling of the legs after giving birthincrease or persist for more than two weeks? Even when there is at first sight no reason to suspect an organ disorder, one should not self-medicate. Only a doctor can correctly establish why the fluid is trapped in the body.
Treatment of postpartum swelling of the legs is directed tofirst of all on struggle against the basic disease. During lactation, they try to minimize medical treatment, and surgical interventions should be postponed whenever possible.
Safe passage of labor without break orthe cut of the perineum means that the restoration of circulation in the legs will occur quickly enough, and with it the symptoms of varicose veins will be eliminated. If they do not pass, the edema only increases, the bruises of the protruding vessels grow, then the phlebologist must be examined. The results of duplex angioscanning of the superficial and deep veins will show the state of the vessels of the lower extremities. In agreement with them, treatment is prescribed.
If the examination did not reveal vein thrombosis, then up tothe end of breastfeeding is recommended by local therapy. Improve the condition of veins and eliminate microthrombi such ointments as Troxevasin, Lyoton, Heparin ointment. They increase blood circulation in the legs, which helps to get rid of swelling and bruising more quickly. As a preventive measure and for the relief of the condition, wearing of compression stockings is shown.
If the reason for swelling of the legs is associated witha violation of kidney function, then a consultation with a nephrologist is recommended. They make a choice of medicines (including plant origin), taking into account the feeding of the child. Self-administration of decoctions of diuretic herbs is highly undesirable.
Prevention of postpartum swelling of the legs
Take care of the absence of edema on the legs can be even before childbirth. These recommendations are relevant even after the birth of the child.
- Prenatal bandage not only protects from unnecessarystretch marks and reduces the burden on the spine. It weakens the pressure of the enlarged uterus on the veins of the perineum and pelvic organs, preventing the development of varicose veins.
- Tights or stockings of compression knitwear support the vessels of the legs, preventing their stretching and the appearance of swelling during and after pregnancy.
- High heels increase the load on the feet, but flat-soled shoes too flatten the feet. Ideal is 3 centimeters of lifting for the heel.
- Improve the circulation of blood in the legs helps massage and performing simple exercises that support the tone of the muscles of the legs.
- For the same purpose, a contrast shower is taken, which simultaneously relieves fatigue and reduces edema.
- Physical load must alternate withRest, during which the legs are stacked above the level of the heart. It is easier to reach a similar position, lying or reclining. Similarly, swollen limbs should be located during night sleep.
- Proper nutrition and restriction of drinking in the evening will reduce the likelihood of leg edema after awakening.
Follow these rules is useful not only for mothers suffering from swelling, but also for all women who gave birth in the first weeks after childbirth.