Why does my throat swell
Laryngeal edema usually does not happen on its owndisease, this is only one of the manifestations of a variety of pathological processes. The larynx is swollen most often in men between the ages of eighteen and 35, but it can happen in childhood and in very old age.
The laryngeal edema can have an inflammatory and non-inflammatory nature. One of the most common reasons are:
- mechanical trauma of the larynx (as a result of surgical intervention or foreign bodies);
- prolonged bronchoscopy;
- burning of the larynx with hot food;
- burns the larynx with solutions of alkalis or caustic acids;
- after X-ray therapy, radiotherapy of the neck.
Inflammation of the larynx develops with suppuration:
- okologoholothochnogo space;
- cervical spine;
- the root of the tongue;
- the lower pole of the palatine tonsil;
- soft tissues of the bottom of the oral cavity.
Sometimes the larynx swells with diseases:
- some other infectious diseases.
Laryngeal edema is often associated not only with damage to the mucosa, but also with inflammation in the cartilages of the larynx and in the perichondrium.
Edema of the larynx is not inflammatory in nature :
- of cardio-vascular system;
- cirrhosis of the liver;
- with local blood circulation disorders due to compression of the lymphatic vessels and veins of the neck.
It happens that laryngeal edemaappears with intolerance to individual foods (strawberries, cottage cheese, crayfish) or medicines.
What drugs can cause laryngeal edema
There may be swelling in the first days after reception of iodine preparations. Sometimes there is an angioedema of the larynx, which can be combined with swelling of the neck and face.
Swelling usually appears in those parts of the larynx where the loose connective tissue in the submucosal layer - on the lingual surface of the epiglottis, on the back wall of the larynx, in the scoop-epiglottis folds, in the subglottic space.
- tissue submucosa sharply thickened;
- connective tissue fibers are spread apart with serous effusion;
As the first task in the treatment of laryngeal edema restores external respiration.