The dog's ears swell
Diseases of the ears among dogs are not uncommon. To provoke inflammatory processes in the auricles may be a variety of reasons.
How and what to treat ears in dogs at home?
You can see the problem with the ears in dogs byattention to the behavior of the pet. If the animal often scratches his ears, shakes his head and behaves restlessly, or, conversely, too excited, then you should contact the veterinarian with suspicions. You should not try to understand on your own how to treat ears in dogs, if you are not sure of the diagnosis. The most common causes of pain in the ears and the appearance of other unpleasant symptoms in dogs are:
- Ticks. Their bites cause severe itching, irritation and inflammation of the ears. To get rid of these parasites the doctor will help, having registered some effective preparations;
- Allergic and skin diseases. In this case, in addition to itching and inflammation, the dogs have reddening and swelling of the ear region;
- Fungal infections. The characteristic smell and secretions signal the penetration of fungus into the body of the pet. Diagnosis of an infection can only be done by a qualified physician;
- Foreign bodies. The objects that fall into the dog's ear when walking around (dry branch, seed, etc.) can cause irritation in the auricle. In this case, you should take the dog to the doctor who will remove the object from the ear of the pet;
- Injuries. Bites of other animals can also provoke inflammation in the ears. Here you should not experiment with self-medication.
Symptoms of all the aforementioned auriclesdiseases are very similar, so it is difficult for a layman to determine the diagnosis and understand what to treat ears in dogs. It should be noted that problems with the ears occur most often in dogs with long hanging ears - dachshund, Afghan hounds and other breeds.
In all cases, when the dog has problems with the ears, there are similar symptoms: the animal often scratches ears and shakes his head. Depending on the cause, the symptomatology may differ:
- With allergies - redness and swelling of the auricles; because of itching, wounds appear on the ears;
- With ear mites - a dark plaque inside the auricles, the release of fluid from the ears (with severe damage);
- When otitis is a secretion from the ears with a lusciously sweet or fetid odor, the appearance of pus.
On the need to urgently resolve the issue,how and what to treat ears in dogs, says the behavior of a pet: he often scratches his ears with his paws, rubs his head on the floor and furniture, whimperes and almost nothing to eat.
If you have problems with the ears of a dogit is recommended to see a vet doctor. Only a specialist will be able to pinpoint the cause of the inflammatory process in the auricles. Self-medication in this case will not only be ineffective, but it can seriously damage the health of the pet, leading to complications. So, how to treat ears in dogs?
This ear disease is well treated with complex therapy. To get rid of otitis needed:
- Cleaning of the ears;
- Reception of antibiotics;
- Use of decongestants and antihistamines.
Than to treat ears at dogs at mites? In this case, one very effective tool - vegetable oil will help you. Bury in your ears a few drops daily for 21 days: this is how much the life cycle of the parasite lasts. When re-emergence of ticks may require strong remedies and injections appointed by the doctor.
To avoid ear diseases and not to worry about the question of how to treat ears in dogs, one should observe the simplest rules of hygiene for a pet:
- When bathing, try not to get water into the dog's ears. In case of contact, dry with water or cotton swabs;
- Regularly clean the pet's ears of dust and dirt;
- A long coat on the ears should be cut off so that it does not get into the shells;
- Avoid pet's contact with other dogs with ear or mite diseases;
- Regularly inspect the dog's ears for symptoms of inflammation;
- Do not allow the pet to become too cold.
These measures will help you avoid problems with the ears of the dog and keep her hearing until old age.