Child 2 years of the hand swelling of the bacteria hit
Barley on the child's eye is a frequent phenomenon that can occur at any age.
Most often the disease disappears on its own or cured in 7 days, but in some cases complications or frequent relapses may occur.
Therefore, if you have the first symptoms of barley, you need to see a doctor. Treatment should be done by a doctor ophthalmologist.
Barley is an acute inflammatory process in a hair sac or sebaceous gland at the edge of the eyelid. Inflammation can also be localized in the lobule of the meibomian gland, such a barley is called internal.
Most often, the disease provokes staphylococci and streptococci. The contributing factor in the development of barley is reduced immunity.
After the pathogen enters the hair follicle, the process of its intensive reproduction begins.
The products of the life of bacteria clog the duct of the sebaceous gland and lead to the accumulation of pus.
Why does the child have barley?
The causes of the disease are diverse. The main factor contributing to the development of barley is considered violation of hygiene rules. So, the inflammation can provoke a touch to the eye with dirty hands, getting into the eyes of sand or dirty water.
Also, inflammation can develop due to:
- hypothermia on the background of weakened immunity;
- presence of worms;
- intestinal diseases;
- diabetes mellitus;
- incorrect metabolism;
- eye diseases (blepharitis, demodicosis, conjunctivitis in a child)
- chronic infectious diseases (sinusitis, tonsillitis).
Do not be scared of this list and immediately look for signs of serious pathology in the child. Barley against the background of these diseases does not appear sporadically, but has a recurrent character (frequent barley).
The disease is not contagious and is not transmitted by contact.
How does the disease manifest in children?
A painful limitedswelling, redness, swelling. In young children, the swelling can be so massive that the eye can hardly open. There is an itching sensation. After 2 - 3 days, the swelling turns into an abscess with a white apex or crust. When it reaches its maximum size, an opening and a break occurs.
In children, inflammation can be accompanied by twitching of the eyelid, headache, a slight increase in temperature.Call a doctor immediately if:
- barley appeared in the baby;
- a tumor prevents a child from seeing;
- greatly increased body temperature;
- The tumor is enlarged and does not pass for 5 days;
Depending on the localization process is:
- External barley is an inflammation of the hair follicle or sebaceous gland of the eyelid. It is located on the outer surface of the century.
- Internal barley is an inflammatory process in the meibomian gland. It is located in the thickness of the century on the inner surface.
Infection can affect the upper eyelid, with a focus of inflammation above the eye or lower eyelid, inflammation is located under the eye.
The process can be one-sided or two-way.
When is barley dangerous, and what are the complications?
It would seem that an innocuous disease, which often passes by itself, in some cases can be a serious threat to health.
- Cold barley (cyst century, haljazion) -visually similar to barley disease. It flows more slowly. Education on the century is more like a bone under the skin. In contrast, barley is chronic.
- Mechanically opened abscess - a deliberately opened focus of inflammation is dangerous for the further spread of infection.
- Chronic barley - if the disease occurs at the slightest supercooling or accompanies a cold, it can indicate problems with immunity or the presence of a focus of pathogenic microflora.
In the absence of treatment, the following complications may occur:
- purulent inflammation of the orbit;
- thrombophlebitis of the orbital veins;
- purulent meningitis;
- thrombosis of the cavernous sinus;
The diagnosis the doctor the ophthalmologist puts on the basis of survey, complaints and the collected anamnesis. Also can conduct:
- the fence is separated from the eye for sowing, with its help determine the causative agent of the disease and its sensitivity to antibiotics;
- immunogram, a blood test for glucose - in the recurring course of the disease.
Differential diagnostics with halyazion and dacryocystitis in newborns is carried out.
How to cure barley in a child?
What to do at home?
- At the child in 2 years which already can closeeyes on request, the outer barley can be lubricated with greenery, alcohol or iodine 3 - 4 times a day. It is necessary to apply drugs very carefully, without touching the mucous membrane of the eye. It is better to use a cotton swab;
- At the child in 1 year and grudnichka it is possible to use drops Albucidum;
- Children of any age make compresses from chemist's chamomile.
After rendering such help the inflammation can disappear. If this does not happen - contact a doctor who examines the child and tells you what to treat a particular case of the disease.
The treatment of barley is local. In addition, prescribe drugs to improve immunity and correct hypovitaminosis.
With the increase of lymph nodes, fever, severe soreness of the century, anti-inflammatory therapy is prescribed with antibiotics and sulfanilamide agents.
If barley appears against the background of another pathology, the underlying disease is treated.
Drugs for topical treatment
- Eye drops - Ciprofloxacin (drops can be used in a child 1 year and older), Albucid (suitable for all ages, including for babies). Bury both eyes 3 - 5 times a day.
- Antibiotic ointment - erythromycin, tetracycline. Mortgaged to the eyelid or applied to the area of inflammation 3 times a day.
If the baby does not have a temperature, physiotherapy methods can be prescribed:
- dry heat to the region of the century;
Folk remedies for treatment
- lotion with aloe juice: the aloe juice should be mixed with boiled water, applied to a cotton swab and applied to the inflamed place three times a day;
- infusion plantain: dry grass plantain pour boiling water, filtered infusion applied to a cotton swab and put on a sore spot 2 - 3 times a day;
- warm compress of softened potatoes - can be used with barley in a child of 2 years in the first 2 days after its formation;
- washing of eyes with birch broth: birch leaves are poured with boiling water and insisted for an hour. The eye should be washed at least 3 times a day;
- lotion from the broth of dill: the seed of dill is poured with boiling water and boiled for 10 - 15 minutes, a cotton swab is moistened in broth and applied to the eyelid 3 - 4 times a day.
- mastering the rules of hygiene - regular washing, washing hands, the presence of an individual towel;
- avoidance of hypothermia;
- increase immunity of the child with the help of vitamin-mineral complexes, hardening, charging;
- timely treatment of acute respiratory disease.
- Try not to let the child rub his handseyes, especially in the street. If the baby gets something in the eye, use a clean kerchief or a napkin. It is also important to monitor this during the treatment period. If a child rubs his eyes during a barley breakout, the inflammation can spread to another part of the eye.
- When buying drops or ointments for the eyes, choose a small tube and pay attention to the expiration date of the drug.
- When applying drops do not touch the tip of the bottle to the skin of the eyelid or mucous eyes, the tip can get bacteria and a re-infection will occur.
- Burying the baby's eyes, it is better to use a glass pipette with a round end, in order to avoid accidental injury to the mucous membrane of the eye.
- If the barley is on both eyes, they need to be treated with separate cotton buds or swabs.
- Never try to open the abscess yourself. With a breakthrough suppuration, remove the discharge with sterile wipes.
- Do not use medications without doctor's prescription even after a careful reading of the instructions.
Simple preventive measures and improvementimmunity can significantly reduce the likelihood of the appearance of barley in a child. If you can not save the baby, do not self-medicate, but immediately consult a doctor.
How to treat barley on the eye. The best methods