Edema on the knee
Diagnosis of edema of the knee is extremely difficult. This is due to the gradual manifestation of pain. There are many reasons for swelling. The inflammatory process can begin as a result of getting an injury: a knee injury during a fall or a bruise. In such cases, such a phenomenon as swelling will pass by itself in a few days.
Why there is swelling of the knee?
Sometimes swelling of the knee joint does not occur in thethe result of mechanical damage from the resulting injury, but for some other, internal reasons. In such cases it is undesirable to engage in self-medication or to hope that everything will pass by itself. It is necessary to consult a doctor and as soon as possible. Only a specialist will be able to establish the true cause of this manifestation, diagnose and prescribe appropriate treatment.
swelling and normal joint
Today, the number of people who have been foundswelling of the knee, very large. The reasons are very different, but the doctors are worried. In previous centuries, such cases were hundreds of times less. Even at young and adolescent age, inflammation of the joint can occur, accompanied by swelling.
In the event of a knee injury, the following steps must be taken:
- Immobilize the knee. The first step is to fix the leg in the position in which it is. In case the victim can not move a limb, do not try to bend it-unbend. On the contrary, try to fix it with a bandage or elastic bandage.
- Cool the limb. Attach a packet of ice to the site of the injury. This will help reduce pain and remove manifestations of hematoma. Due to the narrowing of blood vessels, the blood flow slows down. The smaller the internal hematoma, the faster the healing will be in the future. Take care not to overeat the joint! Subcooling is also very dangerous, because it can provoke tissue death.
- Call an ambulance. Only doctors will be able to determine the level of complexity of the injury received and properly provide assistance.
The causes of inflammation in the knee joint can be:
- poorly treated trauma;
Inflammation leading to swelling may be triggered by an insect bite, which caused an allergic reaction. In addition, insects can be carriersinfectious diseases. The main problem is that the inflamed joint loses its mobility and causes pain, which significantly affects the life of a person. Diagnosis is easiest for those inflammations that have developed as a result of trauma.
If the causes of edema are internal, then it is necessarytake a puncture. This is a rather complicated and painful procedure that makes it possible to establish a diagnosis. After the doctor has determined the causes of the disease, appropriate treatment is prescribed.
For the manifestation of the disease swelling of the knee jointreasons can be very different. Sometimes this is the result of a trauma or intra-articular infection. In this case, it is necessary to immobilize the knee and wait for medical help.
A completely different manifestation of edema occurs as a result of hypothermia. Previously, such a problem could lead to tuberculosisbones. Therefore, it is very important in case of hypothermia to provide the affected area with the necessary medical care. If the knee joint is supercooled, destructive processes may begin to occur in it. If you just warm it up, it will not be enough, because it is likely that you will get a concomitant chronic disease. It is better not to joke and be treated in time.
In 72% of cases, the result of joint edema isuntimely medical care. As you know, this leads to subsequent manifestations of diseases, including chronic, up to disability. Therefore, it is extremely important to take seriously to the knee joints, because they have the greatest burden: the damping of the entire body.
Treatment of diseases associated with knee edema
Treatment can be conservative or with the help oftraditional medicine. In any case, the appointment and use of drugs should be agreed with the doctor. Whatever it was, but the treatment should be selected correctly and carried out in a comprehensive manner. It is necessary to take into account all possible factors of manifestation of the disease, to protect against manifestation of relapses or complications.
The first thing, even before the appointment of treatment, you need to find out a few important details:
- whether the patient is allergic to any medications;
- how long he had consulted a doctor, and for what reason (it happens that a person is observed periodically from a doctor with the same manifestation of the joint edema);
- what kind of treatment he prefers and is ready for surgery in case it is needed.
In the event that the swelling of the knee occurs unexpectedly, as a result of trauma or infection, it is necessary to immobilize the limb and take an analgesic.
knee - shock absorber when walking
Many patients want to learn how to relieve swellingknee joint so that you do not have to resort to treatment. The fact is that it depends on the complexity of the injury. Do not underestimate the insidiousness of internal injuries. You can have a broken meniscus or torn ligament. Therefore, only a doctor can tell how long and how intensively the treatment will be.
Before proceeding to treatment, it is necessary to clarify the reason for the edema. Further, a course of drugs aimed at treating the disease is prescribed.
So, we can sum up: if you have had edema of the knee and this is not related to the injury, you will be assigned a medical examination. Most often this is arthroscopy. This is one of the types of micro-surgery (only three small incisions), with which you can sew the torn tendons, remove the accumulated fluid and return the joint to the former mobility. In addition, you do not have to go through anesthesia and classical arthrotomy, which reveals the entire surface of the knee joint.
Modern micro-operations allow fullto heal the knee, and at the same time you will return home already on the second or third day after the operation. You will not have terrible scars that can cause discomfort and cause painful sensations.The risk of infection with infections is much lower, because cuts from arthroscopy are minor. The postoperative period will generally pass quickly and without complications.
The time of rehabilitation after surgery depends onhow well it was carried out and what was done as a result. In addition, much depends on you. If you perform the necessary exercises, go to the procedures, the healing process will be fast enough and painless. The main thing is not to overstrains the joint. You do not want to wear weights or play mobile sports games.
Be cautious, because sometimes after surgery there may be complications:
- temperature increase;
- acute or persistent aching pain;
- severe swelling;
- redness in the knee;
- gastrocnemius muscle cramps;
- shortness of breath and difficulty breathing.
In case of occurrence of similar signs it is necessary to address to the surgeon. After adjusting the treatment, the following rules must be adhered to:
- Provide rest to the sick leg.
- Apply an ice pack three to four times a day /
- On the leg should be an elastic bandage.
- The knee should be on the hill.
How to remove swelling by folk methods?
Usually it is undesirable to use folk remedies, because no one can later adjust the treatment. Therefore, all folk methods should be controlled by a doctor.
- It helps to relieve pain in the knee of a cowberry broth or burdock, but the dosage should be prescribed by a specialist.
- Folk healers recommend taking a branch of a comfrey medicinal, pour a liter of water and cook until there is half a liter. Next, the broth should be filtered and do with it the lavage of the knee joint.
- If the swelling is small, then you can apply a lotion of therapeutic clay.
burdock for the treatment of edema