Dexamethasone removes swelling
Dexamethasone is a synthetic analogue of cortisol - the hormone of the adrenal glands. Has a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anti-shock effect, affects the protein and carbohydrate metabolism of a person.
Dexamethasone in ampoules is used for intramuscular, intravenous and intraarticular administration. This drug is used in emergency cases, when it requires effective and prompt assistance.
- Severe allergic reactions (angioedema).
- Anaphylactic shock during and after surgery, when the patient has a sharp drop in blood pressure.
- Severe forms of allergic diseases. including bronchial asthma, when spasms follow one another, and inhalation drugs do not help.
- Severe infectious-allergic diseases withsevere pain and inflammation: glomerulonephritis, rheumatoid arthritis, Bekhterev's disease. With intolerable pain, intraarticular Dexamethasone is administered. With glomerulonephritis, the drug helps to relieve inflammation and swelling of the kidney tissue, inhibits the proliferation of connective tissue that replaces the kidney, restores kidney function.
- Cerebral edema due to head injury, tumor, or surgical intervention.
- Disturbances in the work of the adrenal cortex and thyroid gland.
- Malignant diseases (cancer of lymph and blood, increased concentration of calcium).
- Shock state of any genesis.
With intramuscular and intravenous administrationthe initial average daily dose of Dexamethasone is 0.5 to 9 mg. It is used until the clinical effect is achieved, gradually reducing it to the level of minimally effective. The drug can be used 3-4 times a day, injecting from 4 to 20 mg. The course of 3-4 days, then go on to supportive therapy.
With intra-articular injection, the recommendedsingle dose is 0.4 - 4 mg. The introduction can be repeated after 3-4 months. In the same joint injection is carried out 3-4 times in life, it is impossible to inject the drug more than two joints at the same time. More frequent administration can cause bone necrosis and damage to the intraarticular cartilage. The dose of the drug depends on the size of the patient's joint: for large joints it is 2-4 mg, small 0.8-1 mg.
Dexamethasone injections for children
With the / m introduction for replacement therapya dose of 0.02 mg per kg of body weight (0.67 mg / sq. m. body surface area), divided into 3 administrations by an interval of two days, or 0.008 to 0.01 mg / kg body weight (0.2-0 , 3 mg / m2) daily.
For other indications, the recommended dose is 0.02-0.1 mg / kg body weight (0.8-5mg / sq. M.) Every 12-24 hours.
Dexamethasone in ampoules is used with a real threat to the life of the patient, the only contraindication in this case is the hypersensitivity to the drug.
Tachycardia, muscle weakness, increased blood pressure, nervous excitement, insomnia, flatulence, bleeding of the digestive tract.