Swelling of the ankle joint
Ankle joints are subjected to a specialload - they have to withstand the weight of the whole body and be constantly on the move. This is one of the most indispensable joints of our body, because the slightest discomfort in them limits the possibility of walking. As a result, chronic inflammation in this area may not only be a medical problem, but also a social one. Therefore, if there is a suspicion that arthritis of the ankle is developing, do not delay treatment and visit the doctor.
Symptoms of inflammation of the anklethe main pathology (which caused this problem). But since the disease has an inflammatory nature - there are always a number of common symptoms characteristic of all forms of arthritis:
- Pain in the area of one or both ankles.
- Edema. It can be noticed if you press your finger on the ankle: in case of swelling, a pitting will remain in place of the pressure.
- Redness and fever over the affected area.
- Restriction of mobility in the joint, difficulty in walking.
- Common symptoms of inflammation: fever, weakness, poor health.
Difficulties in walking cause special suffering to patients, and, often, this is what compels them to consult a doctor.
The onset of the disease can be acute or gradual. At the first stages of arthritis, the characteristic symptoms are sometimes absent, and the inflammation of the ankle can be suspected by the following two signs:
Soreness at maximum flexion amplitudeand extension in the joint. To check this - take a foot in the arms and bend it as much as you can in the direction of the shin, then straighten it in the opposite direction.
Stamina when wearing and putting on shoes. If you notice that the boots or boots are tight for you in the ankle area - there is probably a small swelling.
Like any inflammation, arthritis of the ankleThe joint can flow acutely or chronically. In chronic forms, if there is no adequate treatment, within 1 to 2 years, complete destruction of articular cartilage can occur. In this case, deformation develops and the apparent thickening of the ankle, the foot takes an unnatural position, flexion in the joint and independent walking are extremely difficult or impossible. Atrophy of the calf muscles is clearly visible.
In the photo, one of the symptoms is reddening of the skin over the affected area
Diagnosis of arthritis of the ankle
For the doctor, the correctness of the diagnosis is playedthe crucial role, as the symptoms of arthritis of the ankle have a number of common features with other pathologies similar in manifestations. For example, it is not easy to distinguish chronic arthritis from arthrosis or arthropathy *, and often these diseases are present simultaneously. Therefore, if you find yourself experiencing the symptoms described above - hurry to get tested as soon as possible. These are the diagnostic methods that are commonly used in arthrological practice.
* Arthropathy is a secondary joint disease. That is not independent, it leads to other major pathologies.
- General tests of blood and urine. As the body reacts to any inflammatory process - the doctor will be able to see the changes in the composition of biological fluids, characteristic of a particular form of the disease. However, it is impossible to determine the area of the inflammatory process.
- Immunological analysis of the blood will show the presence in the blood of antibodies to one or another causative agent. This will help the doctor correctly choose the tactics of drug therapy.
- Biochemical blood test is done to measureconcentration in the blood of various chemicals formed in the body in the process of life. For example, with arthritis, this analysis will help to identify specific markers and thus distinguish arthritis of the ankle from arthrosis or arthropathy.
- Roentgenologic picture of arthritis jointthe ankle will be significantly different from the picture of other pathologies. In the inflammatory process, the joint cavity is filled with fluid or pus, and, therefore, the surfaces of the articulating bones will be somewhat distant from each other. However, this method has disadvantages, since it does not allow to see ligaments and soft tissues.
- Magnetic resonance imaging - moreinformative method in comparison with x-ray. It allows to detect the slightest deviations from the norm, changes in ligaments, articular cartilage and other important structures of the joint. The method is very informative.
- Computed tomography (CT) is also a popular anda rather informative method of layered X-ray photographs. If the patient is contraindicated with MRI examination, CT is an alternative.
- Ultrasound - ultrasound examination of the ankle. Allows you to see changes in soft tissues and the joint cavity. However, only a qualified specialist will be able to estimate the result correctly.
- Arthroscopy - diagnosis and treatment at the same time. This is a surgical operation performed with the help of miniature optical instruments that are injected into the joint cavity. The doctor can examine the joint from the inside, remove the inflammatory fluid from it, stop the bleeding, etc.
With each form of the disease, arthritis, acute or chronic, has its own therapy tactics. How to properly treat arthritis of the ankle, proceeding in an acute form?
- First of all - to provide patients with joints peace and warmth. The patient is assigned bed rest.
- Infections and inflammation help to treat antibiotics. Sensitivity to a particular type of drug is determined individually based on the survey.
- To relieve discomfort, anesthetics are prescribed, which the patient receives in the form of injections, tablets, ointments and creams.
- Restorative, antipyretic and other drugs the doctor appoints, depending on the general condition and the underlying disease, if arthritis of the ankle is its manifestation or complication.
Chronic arthritis of the ankle joint should be treated systematically and comprehensively:
- Diet, which improves the flowuseful substances in bone and cartilage tissue. Very useful foods containing unsaturated fats (red fish), vitamins (greens, fruits and vegetables) and collagen (poultry, fish). It should be excluded fatty meat dishes, spices and excess salt.
- Reception chondroprotektorov - drugs that improve metabolic processes in the cartilaginous tissue.
- Massage and gymnastics. In no case should not neglect these funds, because they allow you to keep the mobility of the ankle in full.
- Sanatorium treatment - therapeutic mud therapy, deep heating, medical baths and hydromassage can permanently delay the onset of another exacerbation.
It is necessary to understand that in any treatment there is nosomething more or less important. It really only matters that the therapy is held regularly and under the supervision of a professional specialist. Then you will be able to avoid serious and irreparable consequences, which can have a very negative impact on the quality of your life.