Potassium in edema
Main characteristic: macronutrient. The main intracellular ion. A biogenic chemical element, ie, a permanent component of the human body.
The adult body contains up to 140-250 gramspotassium, 98% of them are intracellular. Intracellular potassium is in equilibrium with the extracellular. These 2% extracellular potassium is very important for providing an electrical nerve impulse, to control the contraction of muscles (including the heart), to ensure the consistency of blood pressure.
It is present in all organs, especially in the kidneys, brain and heart.
It is believed that potassium and manganese are the first elements lost in stress and malnutrition.
Adults: 2,0-3,5 grams (from foreign sources: a sufficient amount of potassium - 900 mg per day).
Potassium losses are regulated by the kidneys, although some amount is lost with gastric juice and with sweat.
The need for potassium increases in the following cases:
- with increased salt intake;
- with mental and physical stress;
- with injuries, diarrhea, vomiting, when it is intensively excreted from the body;
- when using sleeping pills, diuretics, chlorothiazide.
Significance in the body
- involved in muscle contraction and regulation of the heart rhythm;
- is involved in the transmission of a nerve impulse;
- participates in maintenance of water-salt balance;
- participates in the transport of detoxified ammonia to the organs of excretion;
- reduces the level of carbon dioxide in the blood.
Connection with other microelements
With a lack of potassium, the absorbed radioactive cesium-137 is concentrated in muscles and organs.
Role in the exchange of other microelements
- The interaction of sodium and potassium plays an important rolerole in maintaining the isotonicity of cells. One of the most important functions of potassium is the maintenance of the potential formed on the cell membrane (the work of a potassium-sodium pump).
- Affects the exchange of calcium in the body.
- The presence of competitive relationships between ions of potassium and sodium and potassium and hydrogen ions causes the participation of potassium in the regulation of acid-base balance in the body.
- With a deficiency of magnesium, it is impossible to correct the potassium level: first you need to increase the amount of magnesium, then an additional potassium intake will give the desired result.
Use in medicine
- The main indication for the use of potassium is the violation of the heart rhythm, especially in connection with intoxication with cardiac glycosides, which is associated with depletion of myocardium cells by potassium ions.
- When taking diuretics and hypnoticsit is recommended to take additionally biologically active additives containing potassium. They are also used in cases of hypokalemia, which occurs with prolonged use of diuretics.
Causes of excess
Potassium-saving drugs (diazide, machezid), used concomitantly with potassium preparations (asparcum, potassium orotate, panangin).
Consequences of excess
Symptoms of intoxication: darkened thinking and weakness (both in excess and with a lack of potassium), speech disorders.
With kidney disease and kidney failurepeople can not tolerate its excess and must take medicines containing potassium, only under the supervision of a doctor. On additives from VITAMAKS-XXI Century it does not apply.
Causes of Deficit
- Overdose of diuretics (lasix, diacarb).
- Admission of glucocorticosteroids (reduce potassium reserves).
- Prolonged vomiting, diarrhea.
- Large doses of caffeine or alcohol.
- Hypo-and hyperglycemic conditions.
- Emotional or physical stress.
Consequences of the deficit
Deficiency of potassium is reflected primarily on the uterus, heart and lungs. Initial signs:
- Decreased mental activity, ingenuity. Indecisiveness, uncertainty. Memory impairment, depression, psychosis. It is difficult for a person to relax.
"A bad dream." Excitability or drowsiness.
- Symptoms of physical and mental overwork. Decreased physical endurance. Characteristic of the decline of strength, muscle weakness, discoordination of movements, hyporeflexia.
- Sensitivity to cold. Preference for warm food before cold. Hands and feet often freeze.
- Increased catarrhal diseases.
- Periodic lack of appetite, sometimes nausea and vomiting. Constipation. Strong thirst is possible.
- Abrasions, cuts and bruises heal more slowly.
- Rotten teeth.
- Sometimes, periodic rashes on the skin, acne, itching of the skin, calluses on the soles of the feet (napotishi).
- Lachrymation. Sometimes the eyelids or corners of the mouth are wrapped.
- Muscular nocturnal cramps, especially the legs. Periodic arthralgia (joint pain)
In the future, hypoglycemia, hydrocephalus develops.
Consequences of the deficit for pregnant women
Potassium deficiency is noted in all pregnant women with edema and hypertension.
Sources of information
Jerusalem artichoke, pineapple, bananas (medium bananacontains 555 mg of potassium), black molasses, blackberries, potatoes, dried apricots, beans, soy, parsnip, red pepper, celery, parsley, radish, radish, garlic, tomatoes, spinach, black currant, honey, apple cider vinegar, brown seaweed, musk melon, avocado, broccoli, peanut butter, liver, milk, citrus fruits, fresh cucumbers (up to 148 mg per 100 g), grapes, eggplant, aloe vera, birch mushroom (chaga), nettle, croissant, cucumber grass, comfrey, shepherd's bag , parsley, licorice, saffron, skullcap.
Many potassium salts contain kidney tea.
Foods that contain potassium are recommendeduse in nutrition of the elderly with the initial forms of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular insufficiency, as well as with edema associated with weakening of cardiac activity.
Additional intake of potassium is necessary for people who follow a diet or abusing coffee and sugar.
Sources from VITAMAKS-XXI CENTURY
- THE FLOUR OF THE JERUSALEM ARTISHOK contains easily digestible potassium.
- Aloe vera juice, prepared in a cold way, is rich in natural microelements, including potassium.
- Lecithin, produced from soybeans, contains 108 mg of potassium in each serving.
- VITABALANCES 2000 contains 16.5 mg of potassium from vegetable sources (parsley, aloe vera, white grape juice).
- GREEN WIZARD includes royal jelly, juice of green shoots of barley and Jerusalem artichoke - natural sources of potassium.
- MAGNUM C contains potassium-manganese ascorbate in easily digestible form
- MAGNUM E contains a phospholipid complex from sprouted wheat oil, which is a natural source of potassium.
- In VITA TRIM, a combination of potassium and manganese increases the energy and endurance of the body. When the potassium-manganese balance is violated, the functions of the nervous and muscular systems are disrupted in the body.
- NUTRI-FEM (SUPPORT FOR WOMEN) contains potassium from vegetable sources (nettle).
- GREEN PROTECTION contains parsley and beets - natural sources of potassium.
- A COMPLEX OF STRONG ENZYMES - contains the juice of green shoots of barley, a source of potassium.
- VITAVIN in phytomicrosphere contains an extract of dry red wine - a natural source of potassium.
To order or consult:
Call: (098) 572-08-23, (066) 615-54-04, (063) 896-44-11
In Kiev, the cost of courier delivery - up to 30 UAH. For other cities of Ukraine, delivery is carried out by cash on delivery.