Why the vagina swells
Image from lori.ru
Pain in the vagina does not takethe last place in the list of the most formidable threats to the health of women. In addition, the cause of such pain is often difficult to identify, and inaccurate diagnosis, self-treatment or even ignoring this very delicate problem can lead to irreversible consequences and to even greater health problems.
The nature of pain in the vagina can vary very much. It can be:
- Pain manifested with itching and secretions. The most common cause is infection of the genitourinary system.
- Pain arising during sex or after it.
- Pain aggravated by bleeding or, conversely, with menopause.
- Pain, the real epicenter of which is in the rectum, and sensations say that the vagina hurts.
- Pain that occurs on the basis of psychological problems.
What is vulvovaginal pain?
The concept of vulvovaginal pain (Vulvar Pain) includes a number of fair definitions. Vulvovaginal pain is determined by:
- Vulvodinia is a disease accompanied by vulvovaginal pain without explanatory reasons.
- Pain in the vagina and the area of its vestibule, which are not attached to the sexual act and are manifested with vulvovaginitis, tumors, injuries and dermatological diseases in the vagina and vulva.
- Vaginismus. that is, painful spasms of the muscles of the vagina and its vestibule accompanying the introduction into the vagina of the penis, vaginal tampon or finger. These pains at the entrance to the vagina have a conditioned reflex character and are not a consequence of the pathology of the female genital organs.
- Dyspareunia (dyspareunia), that is pain inthe vagina and in the vulva during the sexual act, as well as before and after it. Strictly speaking, dyspravia is only a clinical manifestation of a variety of diseases, including the above mentioned: vaginismus and vulvodynia.
Pain in the vagina during sex in mostcases accompanied by serious problems, directly related to gynecological or even psychological diseases. At the same time, whatever the causes of pain, a woman loses her desire to continue having sex. In turn, the result of giving up sexual life are resentment and quarrels, broken relationships and families.
The pains inside the vagina accompanying the prelude before sex or the sexual act itself, are often characterized as "cutting" and "burning". They are divided into several types:
- Superficial pain is the pain that the entrance painsin the vagina and the outer region, as well as the inner labia in the process of sexual intercourse. The same type of pain in some cases can be so strong that a woman suffering from them feels a significant discomfort during the introduction and extraction of a hygienic tampon, when sitting on a hard surface and riding a bicycle during a gynecological examination. During the latter, the doctor, not wishing to, while probing with a wet cotton swab of the painful zone, can even initiate pain of the same strength as pain that occurs during sex. Superficial type of pain in the vagina occurs more often than others.
- Deep pain is a pain in which the vagina hurtsafter sex or during it somewhere in the depths, in the lower abdomen and which, often, spreads to the rectum, to the sacrum, and also to the perineum. Deep pain has a pressing, burning and dull character, most patients describe how the appearance of a painful obstruction in the depth of the vagina during the introduction of the penis, vaginal tampon or finger.
- Postnatal pain - pain arising invagina without explanatory reasons, most often, in women breastfeeding and women who gave birth for the first time. Postnatal pain in the vagina, according to various researchers, can be observed for 3 to 12 months. Its average duration is 5.5 months.
Why does the vagina ache, and what diseases can these pains accompany?
Causes of pain in the vagina can act:
Pain in the area of the vaginacan become a reaction to the development and course of inflammatory processes in the mucous membranes of the body and cervix, its appendages, vagina and vulva, which in turn were caused by local urogenital infections:
Tissues of the inflamed genital areaeven injuries from slight friction, which causes considerable discomfort and pain in the vagina. In addition, the inflammatory processes in the tissues of the genital organs can also manifest themselves by itching and burning in the area of the vagina and vulva, with abundant mucous secretions from the genital tract, sometimes with an admixture of pus and, at times, an unpleasant odor.
Stagnation of blood in the pelvic organs, whichoften accompanied by the flow of inflammatory processes in the genitals, is the reason that the vagina hurts after sex. In the vast majority of such cases about the completion of sexual intercourse orgasm can be forgotten.
3. Injuries and surgeries
Pain sensations in the area of entering the vagina can arise due to injuries to the perineum and vagina or be the result of operations during childbirth on the external genitalia.
Injuries to the perineum, vagina, cervix, andit is their rupture that often occurs in the process of the generic act, when the muscles of the perineum and the vagina, which directly constitute the birth canal for passage of the fetus, are particularly heavy. In a rather large number of cases of a dangerous rupture of the perineum, ligaments during labor, one has to resort to surgical intervention - the perineal incision.
Often, in cases of rupture during labor of supporting uterus ligaments, pains occur in the lower abdomen at the time of insertion into the vagina of the penis.
4. Lack of vaginal lubrication
Discomfort during intercourse, which canaccompanied by pain, may be the result of insufficient moisture in the vagina during menopause and during hormonal changes.
In the overwhelming majority of cases, hormonalchanges characterized by inadequate production of estrogens (female sex hormones) against the background of breastfeeding, come after childbirth. In this case, dystrophic changes or slight moistening with lubrication (lubrication) of the vaginal mucosa can be noted. The vaginal cavity does not respond to excitement, remaining narrowed and unextended. This reaction prevents the normal course of the sexual act.
Psychological tension associated withpersonal fears, negative sexual experiences, irritating partner behavior, impaired perception of concepts related to sexuality and sex, as well as an elementary lack of exciting and relaxing factors before the act of coition lead to insufficient lubrication of the vaginal mucosa. In this case, the friction of the penis causes irritation of the mucosa, accompanied by pain in the vagina.
Women with psychological problems canget into a vicious circle. Waiting for pain from having sex already causes the tension of the muscles of the vagina and the absence of the body's reaction to the pathogens, that is, the vaginal lubricant is not produced. This again leads to even more irritation and a sensation of pain in the vagina during intercourse.
Another significant cause of muscle tensionVaginismus can become a vagina. The result of this, again, is with sex pain in the vagina. The development of vaginismus can be based on both psychological and physical factors.
To whom to address with pains in the vagina?
For the answer to the question: "Why does the vagina hurt?" It is worth looking to such doctors as:
However, these experts also have an initial reasonthe appearance of pain in the vagina can certainly be difficult to determine. In some cases for diagnostics one has to resort to the services of related specialists:
Joint analysis helps to correctly diagnose and select the most effective treatment program aimed at eliminating the true cause of pain in the vagina.