After the transfer of viral diseases to manypeople have to face a serious complication - edema of the vocal cords. Their appearance is always associated with uncomfortable sensations - there is a shortage of air, it becomes difficult to breathe. Edema of the vocal cords in children and adults makes itself felt in the form of such a sign as hoarseness of the voice.
The vocal cords look like two elasticfolds formed by the muscle and connective tissue. They are located on both sides of the larynx and stretched from front to back. When a virus disease, they begin to become inflamed, which is the reason for their increase. The voice gap is reduced and in some cases can completely close.
Causes of edema of the vocal cords
There are several types of edema of the vocal cords. Most often you have to deal with infectious edema. The reasons for their occurrence are:</ li>
Predisposing factors may be cooling, chronic laryngitis, or voice fatigue.
The appearance of edema can also be associated withmechanical, thermal and chemical reasons. From this point of view, the inhalation of poisonous substances and hot vapors, various injuries, poisoning with ammonia is dangerous. Toxic edema can result in, for example, the introduction of therapeutic serum.
Often, the vocal cords swell due to various diseases, which include:
With acute swelling of the vocal cords occurdifficulty breathing. When inhaled and exhaled, there is a so-called inspiratory or expiratory noise. In addition, the supraclavicular fossa and epigastrium begin to retract during respiration. The pulse becomes frequent, sweat on the blue face, the patient tries to breathe with a half-open mouth. Depending on the location of the edema, hoarseness of different degrees arises. The increase in temperature can be due to the underlying disease. A slight cough accompanies the pain that is given in the ear. In some cases, there is a muffling of the voice.
With laryngoscopy, you can see a pale and limited edema that looks like a jelly.
Treatment of edema of the vocal cords
In such cases, antibacterialtherapy: Penicillin is injected into the body in the form of injections or inhalations. The doctor prescribes the patient to swallow ice, foot hot baths, heat to the neck area, jars, mustard plasters and oxygen inhalation. Novocain blockade is used - intradermal and intranasal. Intravenous infusions of 40% glucose solution also give a good effect.
With edema of the syptomatic character, the underlying disease must be treated.
If there are any menacing phenomena, such as an increasing stenosis of the larynx, then a tracheotomy is performed in this case.
Folk methods against swelling of the vocal cords
In the treatment of edema in the vocal cords, some folk recipes will also help:
1. Juice turnips. It is recommended to drink a few drops of freshly squeezed and slightly warmed juice a few times during the day.
2. Milk and egg yolks. It is necessary to take 200 ml of fresh warm milk and add to it two well-beaten egg yolks. Stir thoroughly and gently rinse the mouth with the prepared solution.
3. Carrots with milk. Grate the carrots on a fine grater. Then 0.5 cup of carrot mass obtained, pour 0.5 liters of low-fat milk. Mix well, gauze through straining and ready to rinse the throat several times a day. You can also drink milk with soda as an additional means.
4. Kalina. You need to cook a decoction of the berries of the viburnum. Then it is good to strain through gauze. To taste it add natural honey, mix and drink a few sips throughout the day.
5. Black currant. From berries to prepare fresh juice. Then dilute it with half warm boiled water and use to rinse your throat.
P.S. Share your opinion or ask a question about the topic you can in the comments to this article.