Swelling of the feet and ankles
To familiarize yourself with the specialization of Therapy and our doctors, you can follow the link.
Almost all people at some point in time have problems with their legs - pain in the legs, pain in the feet, toes, ankles and other unpleasant sensations. Why is this happening? In fact, there can be many reasons. Most of the time our body movements do not cause any problems. But because of daily or too intense loads, a variety of leg ailments can develop. In addition, the cause of unpleasant and sensations and pain in the legs can be trauma and the natural process of aging.
In the toes, feet and ankles may appear feeling of burning, pain, fatigue, numbness, tingling, warmth or cold. Occasionally arise muscle spasms in the legs, especially at night, when you sleep, swelling of the legs. Feet and ankles can change color, turn pale or bluish. Can appear unpleasant odor from the feet .
Some of these symptoms are the norm forelderly people or pregnant women. In this case, there is usually enough treatment at home. In other situations, you need to find the cause of the problem and treat it.
Causes of pain in the legs (feet, ankles, toes).
There are several categories of problems that can cause leg pain, discomfort and other of the above symptoms. Let's try to understand more.
First, it may be in problems with the skin of the legs. Symptoms and diseases that cause them can be:
- If during walking there is a feeling that you are walking on stones, pebbles - it may be in the plantar warts in the lower part of the foot;
- Areas of dense and hard skin on the heels may appear due to corns, blisters on the skin or skin rattling due to uncomfortable shoes, walking barefoot;
- Redness, scaling of the skin, burning and itching between the toes or on the lower part of the foot - signs of foot fungus (mycosis). Another possible cause is dermatitis due to the shoes you wear;
- Redness, swelling and tenderness of the skin around the nail can be symptoms of ingrown nail or infection in the nail area (paronychia);
- Redness, swelling of the feet, pain in the feet when walking or when feeling, are signs of a possible bacterial infection. You can get infected in public showers, swimming pools and other similar institutions.
The joints of the toes are a very vulnerable site. And it is with the joints of the toes that there are more problems than with any other joints in the body.
- Pain in the joint of the big toe, redness,swelling and hypersensitivity, which suddenly appears in the joint of the big toe, can be caused by gout. The same symptoms may appear due to infection;
- If you have a swelling or lump at the base of your thumb, it may be the bunion of the big toe;
- The cone on the outside of the little finger may be due to bursitis;
- Pain in the joints of the toes, stiffness and swelling are common symptoms of bursitis, arthritis, lupus or gout.
Pain in the leg may appear in the front of the foot or in the heel.
- Acute pain in the lower part of the heel can be caused by plantar fasciitis;
- Pain in the back of the heel or in the ankle - the symptoms of tendonitis of the Achilles tendon, or as it is also called - the Achilles tendonitis;
- Pain that increases before or after exercise, but decreases during exercise, can be caused by a fracture of the bone in the leg (usually metatarsal bone);
- Small bony growths under the calcaneus, causing pain in the heel, can be a heel spur;
- Pain in the middle of the foot appears due to flat feet;
- Pain in the heel in the back or a bump in this area is a symptom of one of the bursitis species.
Many diseases can affect the nerves of the foot. causing pain in the foot, numbness, tingling and burning.
- Foot pain, burning, tingling, or numbnessbetween the toes, especially between the third and fourth finger, and the same sensations in the anterior part of the foot may appear due to a tumor or thickening of the nerve in the anterior part of the foot;
- Pain, numbness or tingling, which starts in the back or buttocks and moves down the leg, can be caused by lumbosacral radiculitis due to pinching of the nerve;
- Weakness and pain in the ankle joint, which is often accompanied by numbness, can begin due to pinching of the nerve in the ankle (tarsal tunnel syndrome) or sciatica;
- Burning in the legs, numbness and loss of sensation appear due to poor circulation of blood. People with diabetes or diseases of peripheral arteries are more likely to face this problem.
As you can see, the causes of pain in the legs, pain in thefeet, ankles, toes, and the causes of other uncomfortable sensations in the legs may be very different. Therefore, if there are such symptoms as leg pain, leg swelling, leg cramps, burning sensation, numbness, tingling in the legs and toes, pallor or blue feet, you should consult a good doctor. The expert will help to establish the cause of discomfort in the legs and tell you how to cope with them.
Treatment of pain in the legs (ankles, feet, toes).
Treatment of leg pain at home often helps to cope not only with pain, but also with other symptoms - leg edema, cramps, discomfort. Treatment, as a rule, begins with elimination of those factors that have caused pain in the legs and other unpleasant sensations. For example, you need to at least temporarily stop playing sports, if during the exercises there is pain in the legs (feet, ankles or toes). Physical stress "through pain" is contraindicated. It is important to wear quality and comfortable shoes. Supinators and other orthopedic adaptations will help make walking more comfortable.
Applying cold, peace, foot massage, soft and delicate exercises (for example, to stretch the tendons) will help to cope with pain in the legs, edema of the legs or cramps. To relieve pain in the legs, you can take OTC pain medications.
With swelling of the feet, edema of the feet and ankles you can raise the swollen legs just above the level of the heart and sit for a while. If you have a sedentary job, get up every hour and walk for a few minutes. Reduce salt intake.
If the methods of home treatment for pain in the legs (feet, ankles, toes), leg swelling and other problems do not give the desired effect, consult a doctor. Consultation of a specialist is necessary and in the case when pain and swelling intensifies, signs of infection appear, the skin pales, tingling and numbness appear.
To see general information on the Therapy section, and also to get acquainted with our specialists, you can click on the link: Therapy
If you are interested in the information presented in this article or you would like to contact a profile doctor or ask any question.
+7 (495) 212-0885</ b>