For cardiac edema is characteristic
Edema Is an excessive accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
Information Pregnancy in itself is a condition,which promotes the retention of water in the body and the appearance of edema. The enlarged uterus presses on the lower vena cava, which disrupts the outflow of blood from the veins of the lower extremities and leads to edema. In addition, the uterus compresses the ureters, which also results in fluid retention in the body.
The female sex hormone exerts its influenceProgesterone, which during pregnancy is produced in large quantities. Under its influence, the structure of small capillaries changes, it is difficult to remove sodium from the body, which causes the appearance of edema. In this case, we are talking about physiological edema, which occur in almost every pregnant woman, appear mainly in the third trimester, manifest themselves closer to the evening and pass independently by the morning after a full rest.
However, it should be remembered that edema is not always physiological, but can be caused by pathological conditions that require compulsory treatment. These diseases include :
- Varicose veins. With varicose veins outflow of venous blood,which leads to overflow of veins, their expansion and the appearance of edema. There is a heaviness in the legs, pain, the appearance of new venous nodes. Edema can be asymmetrical: they occur only on one leg;
- Kidney pathology. Edema can occur at any time of pregnancy, appear mainly on the face, then pass to the upper and lower limbs;
- Pathology of the cardiovascular system. Addiction to edema appears from the firsttrimester and is associated with increased stress on the work of the heart and blood vessels. For cardiac edema, the location is only in the lower part of the body below the lower back;
- Late gestosis (characterized by the appearance of edema, protein in the urine and increased blood pressure). Signs of gestosis appear after the 20th week of pregnancy, do not pass by themselves and require immediate treatment.
Diagnosis of edema during pregnancy
A woman can determine for herself the presence of edema by some signs:
- When pressing with your finger on the skin of the front surface of the tibia there is a fossa that does not disappear within a few seconds;
- A sharp increase in weight ;
- Previously comfortable shoes become tight ;
- There are difficulties with the removal of rings with fingers.
At the first appearance of edema, you should inform your doctor about it. Obstetrician-gynecologist will hold a series of diagnostic activities to determine the cause of puffiness:
- Exterior examination of a woman. It is important for determining the degree of severity of edema;
- Hidden edema (externally not detected);
- The first degree (the appearance of edema on the legs);
- The second degree (edema is located on the lower legs and lower abdomen);
- The third degree (edema appears on the hands and face);
- Fourth degree (swelling of the greater part of the body);
- Weighing in dynamics. Uneven weight gain or excess weight gain (over 400 grams per week) may indicate the presence of concealed swelling;
- Research diuresis (compare the amount of fluid drunk and the amount of urine per day);
- Measurement of shin circumference in dynamics (an increase in the circumference when measured in the same place indicates an increase in edema);
- "Blistering test". In the forearm, 0.2 ml of physiological saline is injected subcutaneously. As a result, a blister is formed, which should dissolve within an hour in the absence of propensity to edema;
- Analysis of urine ;
- Measurement of blood pressure;
- Consultations of a surgeon, therapist, urologist and cardiologist .
Treatment of edema during pregnancy
Important Before the beginning of treatment of edemas it is necessary precisely to reveal the reason of their occurrence.
With physiological edema special drug treatment is not required. Women are recommended to establish food and water regime:
- Limiting the amount of liquid to 1.5 liters per day. You need to drink plain water, not strong green tea. fruit drinks, fruit juice, fresh fruit juice;
- Refusal to take salty, spicy food, smoked foods ;
- Carrying out of unloading days once a week (apple, curd);
- Consumption of a sufficient amount of protein. In the menu of the pregnant must necessarily be present fish. cottage cheese. meat, liver;
- Taking phyto tea with a diuretic effect (only on the advice of a doctor!).
With varicose veins of the lower extremities treatment should be carried out in conjunction with a vascular surgeon:
- Selection of comfortable shoes with a small heel ;
- Regular cool foot baths at least once a day;
- Wearing a compression stocking ;
- Use of medicinal ointments on the basis of horse chestnut and heparin (only on the advice of a doctor!).
When there is edema associated with kidney disease and cardiovascular system, treatment should be carried out under the mandatory supervision of doctors of a narrow specialization: cardiologist and urologist. A woman, as a rule, is recommended emergency hospitalization.
For treatment late gestosis a woman should be placed in a hospital for the necessary therapy:
- Correction of water and food regime ;
- Control of weight gain ;
- Taking diuretics for the removal or reduction of edema (furosemide);
- Reduction of blood pressure under the control of the therapist;
- Preparations for improvement of uteroplacental blood flow (vitamin E. Magne B6).