Causes of edema of the thyroid gland
Hypothyroidism of the thyroid gland is a condition of the body, caused by a decrease in the function of this organ. Iron produces less than the norm of thyroid hormones.
The causes of hypothyroidism of the thyroid gland remain up toend not yet clarified. A decrease in the production of thyroid hormones can occur because of problems in the gland itself (primary hypothyroidism) or in the hypotolamo-pituitary body system (secondary, or hypophysial hypothyroidism).
- Alteration (damaging). It develops as a result of tissue damage of the thyroid gland. Such damage can be caused by the actions of the immune system, trauma, radiation, medication, temperature and other harmful effects on the organ.
- Iodine deficiency, i.e., caused by a lack of iodine in the body, which does not allow the thyroid gland to produce the required amount of hormones.
Primary hypothyroidism can be congenital andacquired. Hypothyroidism in children is very often the nature of congenital disease. In most cases, its cause is hypothyroidism of the thyroid gland during pregnancy of the mother. If the problem was not detected on time or if the woman was inattentive to the need for treatment, the child's thyroid gland could not form into a normally functioning organ.
Acquired primary hypothyroidism develops in the following cases:
- After the operation to remove the thyroid gland,
- After inflammatory diseases of the thyroid gland,
- When exposed to radiation,
- When treating with preparations of radioactive iodine,
- As a consequence of the effects of certain drugs (lithium preparations, iodides, hormones of the adrenal cortex, beta-adrenoblockers)
- When there is a tumor of the thyroid gland.
- With endemic goiter.
Secondary hypothyroidism develops in certain diseases of the pituitary or hypothalamus. The fact is that the pituitary-hypothalamus system controls the functioning of the thyroid gland.
Symptoms of thyroid hypothyroidism
- Drowsiness, slowness of all mental processes, decreased memory, attention,
- Decreased body temperature,
- Early atherosclerosis,
- Myxedema edema,
- Hoarseness of voice,
- Propensity to constipation,
- Heart failure,
- Dryness, brittle hair and nails.
Many symptoms are characteristic of hypothyroidism,but almost all of them are nonspecific, that is, the same symptoms can also occur in many other diseases. For example, very often when hypothyroidism hair falls out. This symptom can be and at set of other diseases, and it is simple at strong stresses and overfatigue.
In some cases, there are absolutelyuncharacteristic symptoms. Usually, because of slowing metabolism, patients with hypothyroidism are diagnosed with a bradycardia. However, in 20-25% of cases, tachycardia is detected with hypothyroidism. The question, what are its causes, remains controversial.
- Hypothyroidism of the 1st degree (subclinical hypothyroidism) has minimal thyroid insufficiency.
- Hypothyroidism of the 2nd degree can already manifest not in a subclinical, but in a manifest form.
- 3 degree of hypothyroidism is characterized by marked hormonal changes.
Treatment of hypothyroidism of the thyroid gland
The diagnosis of hypothyroidism is based ona clinical blood test for the number of hormones. In the first place determine the hormone of the pituitary gland TTG. Its increased number speaks about trouble in the work of the thyroid gland. In cases when there is a decrease in T4, they speak of overt hypothyroidism and prescribe treatment.
Treatment in most cases istaking eutirox or levothyroxine. They will help to normalize the amount of thyroid hormones. If endemic goiter is diagnosed, preparations containing iodine, for example, iodomarine, may be prescribed.
In other cases, iodine is not recommended. Even to pregnant women jodomarin at a hypothyrosis is not always shown. The fact is that a poorly functioning thyroid gland can not process iodine, so in many cases it can only bring harm.
In the process of treatment must include a dietat a hypothyrosis of a thyroid gland. It is designed to provide the body with vitamins, minerals, give it in sufficient quantities of proteins. This will help stimulate the body. Carbohydrates and animal fats should be limited. But products with increased fiber content increase. With hypothyroidism, the body is sluggish, so it needs to be helped. Fiber, contained in vegetables, porridges, legumes will help stimulate the work of the intestines. Use of salt and fluid should be limited, since hypothyroidism often develop edema.
Treatment of hypothyroidism can be quite successful and lead to recovery, and can drag on for life. Most often, the timing and results of treatment depend on the causes of this condition.