How to get rid of the swelling of the cheek is wisdom tooth
Dental extraction is a great stress, both forman, and for his body. The postoperative period is often accompanied by unpleasant surprises. And the patient himself in most cases can not even determine whether this is normal, or it is worth starting to sound an alarm. For example, what to do if the cheek is swollen after the removal of the wisdom tooth? Dentists say that this is a fairly common and quite normal phenomenon, but still it is worth monitoring its state of health, because in some cases such a symptom can be dangerous.
Why does my cheek swell after removing wisdom tooth?
The operation to remove the wisdom tooth is accompanied byadditional difficulties. The teeth that are squeezed into the adjacent ones are usually removed, or perhaps the surrounding soft tissues simply interfere with their growth. In any case, during the operation, the dentist has to severely damage the nerve endings, affect the soft and hard tissues.
The patient does not feel all this interference. Modern anesthetics completely remove pain. Various types of antiseptic agents are used to treat the damage site and protect it. Despite all these measures, the body still launches various protective processes. This is the usual reaction of our body to irritants, injuries and wounds. Removal is always a great stress.
It is due to this that the gums and cheeks swell afterthe operation itself. Yet in the first time this may be due to other reasons. With the action of local anesthesia, under which the operation is performed, not only the part of the gum is anesthetized, but also some muscles of the face are temporarily atrophied. At first glance, it may seem like a swelling, but it will pass in a couple of hours.
If the cheek is swollen after the removal of the wisdom tooth,when the operation has not been a couple of minutes since the operation, it is not worthwhile to beat the alarm. Most likely, this is the reaction to anesthesia. A real swelling occurs only after a few hours, and sometimes days.
Yet not everyone has a similar side effect. Most often it occurs in the following cases:
1) If there were complications during the operation,for example, the tooth had to be divided into several parts or preliminarily cut off the overhanging gum. In such cases, the degree of damage to the nerve endings is much stronger.
2) If there is an initial swelling. Often with the growth of the wisdom tooth, swelling occurs before surgery. Usually this is due to inflammation of the gum or hood over the tooth. Such a disease is called pericoronitis. It says that bacteria have already managed to enter the soft tissues, and they will invariably lead to edema and after the operation.
3) With the removal of the third molar of the lower jaw, swelling of the gums occurs much more often. With the same operation, the upper jaw is usually swollen with the lip, but there is less swelling in the lower part of the face.
4) Hypertension can also become a cause of swelling. People with such a disease are more prone to such side effects.
5) In people with a lot of excess weight edema appears somewhat more often. The fact is that the subcutaneous fat layer differs developed blood supply system.
6) In case of an allergic reaction toantiseptic or anesthetic. Since such a reaction of the body occurs very rarely, in some cases, experts do not even check the presence or absence of allergies in humans. Suspicions occur only if the person has had cases of intolerance to drugs similar to those used in the operation. In all other cases, it is possible to determine the presence of an allergy only due to the edema that has arisen.
7) Errors during the operation, insufficienttreatment with antiseptic compounds, as well as unscrupulous observance of the rules after the operation itself can also lead to edema, or, more precisely, to its rather dangerous cause, the alveolitis. This term refers to the inflammation of the tooth socket.
The last reason for swelling should not be afraid. It arises quite rarely and its elimination depends entirely on your dentist. In all other cases, the tumor will go away by itself, but this process can be significantly speeded up.
If you have pulled out a wisdom tooth, and the cheek is swollen, inThe first step is to draw an analogy with any other hematoma. What do you usually do if you accidentally hit? Correctly, apply a cold compress to the damaged area. Also it is necessary to act and in case of a gingival edema. Here any cold object is perfect, whether it is freezing from a refrigerator or a hot water bottle filled with ice. Just remember, if you use something so cold that you can hardly hold it in your bare hands, you need to put a barrier between the cheek and the compress. Damaged tissues should be kept in the cold, but do not overcool them.
In addition to the impact on the site of damage, the compresshelp protect yourself from infection. Different harmful bacteria do not like the cold. With the periodic application of the cold compress, their growth will be drastically reduced. Actually, because of this after the removal of teeth is forbidden to drink hot drinks and go to the bath. From this, the growth of bacteria can, on the contrary, increase.
If you suffer from hypertension, with edema will help and special drugs designed to combat this disease. They should be used only with the appointment of a doctor.
A faster way to get rid of the edema may be othermedicinal preparations. Since at first you will feel pain, you will most likely get several names of painkillers. Acquire better those that, in addition to their basic properties, also have anti-inflammatory effect. For example, Avertal, Nurofen, Analgin, Aspirin, Paracetamol, Diclofenac, Mig 400. Most of them have contraindications, so read the instructions beforehand.
After tooth extraction on the first day, and sometimes evenseveral, you are not allowed to drink any liquid, rinse your mouth and even spit. All this is necessary in order to protect the blood clot that forms in the tooth socket. It is the first and from that most important part of the healing of damaged tissue. In addition to this clot, after the operation itself, anti-inflammatory drugs are still in the well and to reduce pain. Flushing them too early, you risk a lot of inconvenience.
If the tooth was removed, the wisdom and cheek swelled onlya few days, you can still use a variety of antiseptic rinse. After such a period of time they will already be safe for a blood clot in the hole. Such means will allow to destroy bacteria, which also probably contributed to the process of edema formation. Dentists recommend using Chloressidin 0.05% and Miramistin 0.01%. Before using each drug, be sure to read the instructions.
The last mite in reducing edema afterremoval of the third molar can be various anti-inflammatory gels and ointments. Most of them combine several properties at once. They simultaneously have a light, freezing and analgesic effect, kill bacteria and improve tissue regeneration. Using them, you not only reduce the swelling, but also help the body cope with inflammation in case of infection in damaged tissue. The best agents with such properties are Helisal gels, Metrogil Denta, Kamistad, Asepta.
In addition to all this, anti-inflammatoryeffect can be achieved and more familiar means, for example, on the shelves of any large store or pharmacy you can find tooth pastes with similar properties. Please note that for some time after tooth extraction to hygiene of the oral cavity it is necessary to treat extremely accurately. During cleaning, you can not get close to the formed hole, but forget about hygiene and does not worth it either. Because of this, the number of bacteria in the oral cavity will increase dramatically, which will lead to infection.
It is not necessary to use bothall the proposed means. It can only be helped by one of them. The main thing is to make sure that the struggle with the complication does not last longer. If the swelling does not pass for a long time, even in spite of all the actions taken, it is worth starting to worry.
What to do if the swelling does not last long?
To be precise, when exactly the edema should pass,it is impossible. Each person and his body are completely individual. If someone has to apply an ice compress for several hours and the swelling is already going to drop, then others have to walk with a swollen cheek for at least a week.
So, even if the tumor has been holding for several days, it's not worth the scare and running away from it to the nearest dentistry. First, do a little self-examination.
Anxiety should be beaten only if there are the following accompanying symptoms:
1) Body temperature is more than 38 ° С. In the postoperative period, a slight increase in temperature is the norm, but as soon as it reaches the previously indicated level, this already indicates the onset of the inflammatory process.
2) Edema increases in size every day. Usually, the maximum cheeks swell on the first day, and then all of this gradually decreases. If you are on the contrary, it is worthwhile to see a doctor.
3) Unpleasant purulent smell from behind the mouth. If you observed all the rules of hygiene, then the appearance of such an unpleasant symptom should say about the complications that have arisen.
4) Difficulty in swallowing and jaw movement. As soon as you feel pain while chewing food in the area under the ears, and when swallowing from the side of the removed tooth, immediately go to the doctor. This symptom with absolute certainty indicates that an inflammatory process has begun in the damaged area, and moreover, he has already switched to neighboring tissues.
5) Pus from the hole when pressing on the gum. There is nothing to explain now. Everyone knows that pus is the first sign of an inflammatory process.
If you find at least one unfavorable sign, you should go to a specialist. In the absence of such symptoms, one should not worry. Most likely, this is just a feature of your body.
What will the dentist do if there is swelling?
Gingival edema along with the symptoms that weredescribed above, indicates that bacteria have got into the damaged soft tissues and began to develop actively. The inflammatory process in the area of the socket is called the alveolitis. This disease has rather frightening consequences, but its treatment does not differ with anything complicated.
To begin with, a complete diagnosis is carried out forTo determine how much the disease has developed. In addition to routine examination, an x-ray examination is also prescribed. If, as a result of his discovery that the alveolitis is concentrated only in the hole, the dentist simply clears the damaged tissue and carefully treats them with an antiseptic. The patient is prescribed antibiotics. They will help the body to cope with the problem on its own if the infection has already spread further. In addition, it will be necessary several times a day to rinse the oral cavity with antiseptic compounds.
If during the survey it became clear thatthe infection has already managed to severely damage the general health, in addition to cleaning the hole, the patient also has to spend a couple of days in the hospital. This is especially necessary in case of inflammation of the masticatory muscles. It is about him that pain speaks when the jaw is closed.
Despite the fact that sometimes a swelling of the cheeks cansay about an unpleasant disease, can not be called a dangerous symptom after the removal of the wisdom tooth. You should not worry much, it's a normal reaction of our body.