Severe swelling of the ankles
Abnormal accumulation of fluid in soft tissuesleads to their edema. The cause of swelling of the ankles may be a disease requiring treatment to a doctor, for example, heart failure. But often to alleviate and prevent symptoms can be home remedies and lifestyle changes.
The risk of swelling of the ankles will be less if you drink lemon juice, because it stimulates urination, not allowing to accumulate in the body of excess fluid.
Diuretic properties are also carrots, leeks, cucumbers and turnips.
Lie, lifting your feet above your hips, at least 20 minutes twice a day: this will ensure the outflow of excess fluid from the ankles.
Non-traumatic swelling of the ankles usually meansdisturbance of the water balance between blood and tissue fluid. This happens when there is an abnormal increase in pressure in the capillaries, leading to seepage from them of the serum. The risk of edema is especially great if you stand or sit for a long time, consume plenty of salt, and also with hormonal changes before menstruation and during pregnancy. In some cases, this disorder is caused by varicose veins, kidney disease, heart disease, arteries, hypertension or preeclampsia (high blood pressure and water retention in pregnant women).
- Daily for half an hour, do physical exercises. This stimulates blood circulation and prevents fluid from stagnating in the legs.
- To strengthen capillaries, eat foods rich in vitamin C and flavones.
- Reduce salt intake.
- If you are standing or sitting for a long time, strain the calf muscles more often. This will prevent venous congestion and swelling.
- Take a warm bath, adding to it six drops of geranium, six drops of lemon or three drops of rosemary oil (the latter is contraindicated to pregnant women).
- Drink daily one or two cups of infusion from the leaves of dandelion and yarrow.
When to see a doctor
- Symptom does not improve.
- Symptoms started after taking a new medicine.
- The ankle only swells on one side.
- Swelling or tenderness when pressing in the groin or lower abdomen.
- During pregnancy.
- In the foot or other parts of the leg, numbness or tingling is felt.
- Go to alphabetical list of diseases (symptoms and methods of treatment)
Consultation is anonymous and free of charge. The doctor will contact you by specified phone number within two hours from the date of application.
Attention: at the moment the consultation is available only to residents of Moscow, the Moscow region and St. Petersburg.
Previous entry: "Pinworms