Pain and swelling in the gastrocnemius muscle
Image from lori.ru
This is so common phenomenon or sensation - pain in the calf muscles. that at least once in a life from it everyone suffers.
Too many reasons exist for the onset of these painful sensations.
Minor injury or irritation to the calfmuscles - excessive load or unsuccessful step - cause pain in the calves of the legs. In this case, the pain in the calf muscles can be very sudden and arise as a reaction to unusual physical activity - just while walking, including.
Quite often the first manifestations of painfulsensations doctors associate with the disease of blood vessels. This may be caused by increased pressure in the vessels due to violations of the outflow of venous blood - stagnation occurs, which causes irritation, and then the nerve endings become inflamed, causing a pain syndrome. When the reason is this, the calves of the legs ache in a special way - it seems that the legs are "heavy", there is a feeling of "dull" pain. And this symptom is characteristic of varicose veins.
The same sensations of "dull" pain, aching or evenstitching, as well as sharp cramps and "heaviness" of the legs can be seen as a result of inactive work. After all, when a person is standing or sitting for a long time, the normal circulation in the veins and arteries is disturbed. A stagnation of blood is accompanied by oxygen starvation, accumulation in the vessels and muscles of harmful substances - toxins.
- Thrombophlebitis is a vascular disease,quite common, unfortunately, is accompanied by a throbbing pain in the calf muscles. and painful feelings change over time: the pain becomes like burning. With thrombophlebitis, the calves of the feet are sore constantly.
- Atherosclerosis is another reasonunpleasant-painful sensations. With this disease, the walls of the vessels become denser and there is a feeling of muscle "compression", from which the calves hurt. Pain syndrome in atherosclerosis is characteristic of the muscles of the shins. Painful sensations become stronger when walking. Another symptom of atherosclerosis - regardless of the temperature of the air and the body, the feet appear to be cold.
- Diseases of the spine - this is another groupdiseases that provoke pain in the calves of the legs. In the event that there are violations in the vertebral column itself - dislocation of the discs, for example - there are irradiating pains, that is, those that "give" to the legs. In this case, the spine itself does not hurt. As an example, sciatica, an inflammation of the sciatic nerve, can be cited.
- Another factor of the appearance of pain in calves may bebe a disease of the peripheral nerves. The pains with neuralgia are fickle, have the character of seizures, the duration of which is not long - a few minutes or even seconds.
- Myositis - inflammation of skeletal and gastrocnemius muscles- causes the most severe pain in the muscles of the legs. This disease is extremely serious and requires compulsory and long-term treatment under strict medical supervision. Most often, myositis occurs as a complication after a certain number of diseases, including influenza. Sometimes myositis can be caused by overstrain of the muscles, unusually heavy load or injury to the calf muscle.
With this disease, aching pain in the calves of the legsstrengthens with the slightest movement, and in the muscles themselves you can feel the strands or dense nodules. If the trauma is open, then, as a result of infection, there may be a purulent myositis - with a characteristic increase in body temperature, increased pain, chills, redness of the skin over a tight and tightened muscle.
One of the varieties of myositis is myositisparasitic, which arises as a result of muscle damage by cysticerci, trichinellas (trichinosis), toxoplasma - parasites. The parasitic myositis is characterized by fever, pain in the muscles of the limbs, chewing muscles, muscles of the tongue and chest.
- Another disease - osteomyelitis. infectious disease of bone tissue. It is accompanied by osteomyelitis with acute and prolonged pains caused by the bone itself.
- A common cause of painful sensationsin the calves of the legs can become cramps - involuntary contraction of muscle groups or individual muscles. Seizures can result from prolonged exertion, overfatigue of the gastrocnemius muscle. To stop this unpleasant painful sensation it is sometimes enough to just relax the muscles. That is, lie down or sit down, changing the position of the legs and the joint muscle to grind harder, apply a cold compress or with bare feet to stand on the cold ground.
- Fibromyalgia - pain that occurs in the areanape, in the lower back (lumbago), and also - in the neck, in the shoulder joints, chest and near the knee joint - in the thigh area. This pain is more familiar to women, as they are more common. Fibromyalgia increases with mental and physical overload, with sleep disturbance, while staying for a long time in a damp or cold room. Systemic these pains can become at occurrence of rheumatic diseases.
- Also, pain in the calf muscles can cause neurogenic myopathy or idiopathic inflammatory myopathies.
If a person does not have neurological abnormalities, a painful muscle syndrome causes inflammatory or metabolic myopathies. Myopathies are of three types, according to the international classification:
- caused by drugs and toxins,
- idiopathic inflammatory,
- caused by infections.
95% of idiopathic inflammatory myopathies arepolymyositis, myositis, dermatomyositis, which arise as a result of systemic connective tissue diseases. And also myositis with intracellular inclusions and paraneoplastic myositis. In all these cases, a consultation of a rheumatologist is necessary to prevent or determine a systemic disease, the consequence of which is pain in the calves of the legs ..
This kind of myopathy, as a drug, is most often associated with the intake of fibrates and statins.
The main thing to remember: If there is pain in the leg muscles, consult a doctor. Required. It can be a phlebologist or a neurologist, an infectious disease specialist, a traumatologist or an angio-surgeon. But consultation is mandatory if we are concerned about our health.