How to relieve swelling with lymphostasis
General advice offered by the National Lymphedema Network, on the prevention of edema and in the treatment of lymphostasis
If there is a risk of developing such a dangerousdiseases like lymphostasis (for example, those who undergo radical treatment of breast cancer, edema to varying degrees of upper limb can not be avoided), it is vital to comply with the 18 rules that the National Lymphedema Network
1. In no case should you ignore even the most innocuous swelling on your arm (fingers, hand) or chest - you need to urgently consult a doctor.
2. If necessary, injections, taking a blood test should not use a problem arm.
3. Measurement of blood pressure should be carried out only on a healthy limb - the arm or leg (on the thigh).
4. It is important to follow the rules of hygiene: after water procedures should use moisturizers - lotions, milk, etc. Wipe off the damaged limb with caution, but in the most careful manner. Be sure to check that all wrinkles, interdigital space were dry.
5. It is necessary to protect the damaged limb from rhythmic, repetitive movements, especially those associated with opposition - you can not clean, rub, push, etc.
6. Do not lift the problem hand gravity. Do not use heavy bags with a strap over your shoulder, do not wear anything like that in the hand on which the operation was made.
7. Give up tightly fitting ornaments, do not wear elastic bands on the damaged arm and her fingers.
8. Do not expose your hand to strong temperaturedifferences, for example, when you bathe or wash dishes, you should refrain from visiting the sauna (bath) and taking hot baths, at any rate, do not immerse your hand in the bath. Protect the damaged arm from sunlight.
9. Protect your hand from injury and damage, any stroke,cut, burn (no matter, sunny or any other), even a slight sports injury, an insect bite or a scratch can be dangerous. Carefully observe yourself and react in time to the slightest sign of infection.
10. Doing any work, no matter, at home or in the garden, be sure to wear gloves, even if there is a risk of getting any damage is minimal.
11. When doing a manicure, it is not necessary to perform the cuticle cutting procedure.
12. Be sure to consult with a doctor aboutthe question of therapeutic physical education, discuss an acceptable set of exercises for you. In any case, do not overload the damaged arm: when pain occurs, lie down and lift it up. Do not limit yourself in walking and swimming, light aerobics and cycling are recommended, you can practice a special ballet or yoga - all these exercises are recommended for patients with this diagnosis. And remember that you should not lift loads heavier than 6-7 kg (15 pounds).
13. For people who suffer from lymphedema or haverisk of its development, it is necessary to observe some rules for air travel. Firstly, it is necessary to use a compression sleeve of the required size. Secondly, with long air travel, there may be a need for an additional bandage. Thirdly, it should be during the flight is recommended to drink more.
14. Women with large breasts shoulduse lightweight prostheses, since the heavy ones can put too much pressure on the supraclavicular lymph nodes. You can use soft pads or simply strips of matter. You should carefully choose a bra: necessarily pitted, not tight.
15. In order to remove unwanted hairs from the armpit area, it is better to use an electric shaver, for which it is necessary to follow closely, to change the blades in time.
16. People diagnosed with Lymphostasis shouldAlways wear a compression sleeve, which must be very well selected. You can only take it off while you sleep. Every 4-6 months. it is necessary to visit the attending physician to check the effectiveness of the sleeve. If it has become too loose, then it is possible to reduce the volume of the arm or stretch the sleeve itself.
17. Be carefull: any atypical disorder - itching, rashes, redness of the skin, fever, pain - is the reason for immediate medical attention. Any inflammation, any infection can be a sign of the onset or complications of lymphedema.
18. It is necessary to keep your normal weight. The diet should be well balanced, low in salt (sodium) and with a lot of fiber. It is necessary to refuse from the use of alcohol-containing (alcoholic) drinks, from smoking.
In the interstitial fluid that accumulatesin the field of edema, there is a very large number of proteins, but adhere to a low-protein diet is not worth it - it will not lead to a decrease in protein in the lymph, but can contribute to weakening connective tissue, which is dangerous. Better to use in the diet proteins easily digestible, which are found in fish, chicken, tofu.