Swelling of calf calves
Pain in the calf muscles is incredibleis widespread. Almost every person has experienced this unpleasant feeling at least once in a lifetime. Possible causes of pain in calves legs are varied. Even a slight injury or irritation of the calf muscle (a large load or an unsuccessful step) can lead to pain in the calves of the legs. Such pain is often unexpected and arises from unusual physical activity, sometimes even during normal walking.
Often the cause of pain in gastrocnemius muscles is doctorscall the disease of blood vessels. This may be due to a violation of the outflow of venous blood due to increased pressure in the vessels. As a result, stagnation of blood occurs, which leads to irritation, and subsequently inflammation of the nerve endings, thus causing painful sensations. To distinguish the pain associated with this cause is not difficult: there is a heaviness in the legs, as well as dull pain. This symptom may be a consequence of varicose veins.
The cause of dull, aching, and sometimes stabbing pain,as well as sudden seizures and heaviness in the legs can become an inactive way of life. This is due to a violation of normal blood circulation in the veins and arteries due to prolonged standing or sitting. Stagnation of blood can lead to oxygen starvation, the accumulation of toxins in the vessels and muscles.
There are many diseases that cause pain in the calves of the legs:
- Inflammation of skeletal and gastrocnemius muscles, the so-called myositis, causes the most severe pain in thecalves. Since myositis is a very serious disease, it requires mandatory long-term treatment under the supervision of a doctor. The cause of myositis can become complications of certain diseases (such as influenza). Less often myositis is caused by a large load on the eggs, overexertion or trauma of the muscles of the calf.
If the cause of pain is myositis, a person feels aching pain in the muscles of the calves, which can be amplified by movement, in addition, the muscles appear seals.
The consequence of infection of an open trauma canto become purulent myositis. It is characterized by increased pain, increased body temperature, chills, redness of the skin above the muscle, which can be densified and tight.
This kind of myositis, like parasitic myositis, canbe caused by the defeat of muscles such parasites as cysticerci, trichinella (trichinosis), toxoplasma. In this case, there is a fever, pain in the chewing muscles, muscles of the limbs, chest and tongue.
- Thrombophlebitis - often occurring vascular disease, provokes throbbing pain, and then burning in the muscles of calves. At the same time the soreness of the calves is felt continuously.
- Diseases of the spine can also cause pain in the calves of the legs. Disturbances in the spine (such as dislocation of the discs) cause the so-called irradiating (giving oneself to the feet) pain. However, pain in the spine may not be felt. An example of this type of pain is sciatica, i.e., inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
- Atherosclerosis - causes compaction of the vessel walls and sensationclamping muscles, which causes soreness of the calves. Pain caused by atherosclerosis, worsen when walking. A sign of atherosclerosis can be constantly cold feet.
- Diseases of peripheral nerves can also lead to the appearance of soreness of the calves of the legs. Pain caused by neuralgia is not constant, seizures are short (several minutes, and sometimes seconds).
- Osteomyelitis - an infectious disease that affects bone tissue. Satellites of osteomyelitis are prolonged acute pains, the cause of which lies in the bones.
- Spasm . that is, involuntary muscle contraction or evenmuscle groups, can also cause painful sensations in the calf muscles. The cause of seizures may be fatigue or prolonged tension of the calf muscle. Simple relaxation of the muscle sometimes helps to relieve the pain caused by convulsions. To do this, it is necessary to sit or lie down with a change in the position of the legs, severely grind the contracted muscle, make a cold compress or stand up on a cold surface, after having rummaged.
- The cause of pain in the calf muscles can also become Neurogenic or idiopathic inflammatory myopathies . In the absence of neurologicalabnormalities of pain in the calf muscles are caused by metabolic or inflammatory myopathies. According to the international classification, three types of myopathy are distinguished:
- idiopathic inflammatory myopathies,
The cause of most idiopathicinflammatory myopathies are systemic connective tissue diseases. Such myopathies include myositis, polymyositis, dermatomyositis, paraneoplastic myositis, myositis with intracellular inclusions. To determine or prevent a systemic disease that results in pain in the calf muscles, in the case of the abovementioned diseases, a rheumatologist's consultation is mandatory.
Drug myopathy often occurs as a consequence of taking statins and fibrates.
- Fibromyalgia - pain that appears in the lower back(lumbago), in the nape of the neck, neck, shoulder joints, hip. This pain is more common in women. With physical and mental overload, insomnia, in a cold damp room, fibromyalgia may increase. If a person has rheumatic diseases, such pain can become systemic.