Swelling of the leg from the hip to the knee
Leg (free lower limb, lat. membrum inferius liberum) - an organ intended for the exercise of the function of movement and support of man, paired. Located below the hip joint, part of the lower limb.
Anatomically the foot includes three basicparts: stop, shin and thigh. The thigh consists of the most solid and massive bone in the human skeleton - the femur, and also the patella, which protects the knee joint. Small and large tibia form the shin. The foot includes many small bones. The place where the pelvic bone articulates with the femoral is called the hip joint. The articulation of the tibia bones with the femur is called the knee joint, but the place where the bones of the foot are connected to the tibia bones - the ankle joint. Concerning the tibia, the movements of the foot are limited to the Achilles tendon. Serious danger is represented by traumas of the ankle, especially knee joints, since the damage caused by them is often irreversible.
Painful sensations, as well as a feeling of heaviness in the legsarise throughout the life of many people. Some suffer these symptoms long enough. Nevertheless, it is very important to diagnose the cause of discomfort. After all, the well-known truth says that only the beginning disease can be cured much easier than neglected.
At what diseases does the leg pain occur?
There are various causes that cause pain in the legs. These include: diseases of the vessels of the legs, spine, muscles, joints.
The most common occurrence of pain in thelegs due to vascular disease. Painful sensations are caused by a violation of the outflow of venous blood, because of which the pressure in the vessels rises. Stagnation of blood in the veins - this is the reason that the nerve endings are irritated, and pain syndrome develops. The most common pain is "stupid in nature, and also, often, there is a heaviness in the legs. With time, varicose veins may develop.
When thrombophlebitis occurs, throbbing pain, which can go into a burning sensation under the skin. Thrombophlebitis is characterized by persistent pain, especially affecting calf muscles.
To cause pain in the legs can and atherosclerosisarteries. For this disease is characterized by the densification of the walls of the vessels. This disease causes constricting pain in the calf muscles. Atherosclerosis very often entails a pain syndrome in the muscles of the lower leg. When walking pain - increase. Atherosclerosis is characterized by a feeling of cold feet at any time of the year.
The group of diseases is also quite extensive,associated with the spine, causing pain in the legs. Violations in the spine, for example, hernia or protrusions. can lead to irradiating pain, that is, pain that is given to the feet. Pain in the spine, however, is not necessary. Such diseases include sciatica (inflammation arising in the sciatic nerve). This disease causes pain, transmitted to the legs from the spine and along the sciatic nerve.
Often, the cause of pain in the legs are diseasesjoints. Such pains cause a feeling of "twisting" the legs. This syndrome can worsen during the weather change. If the disease is sufficiently started - the pain syndrome can acquire a permanent character, sometimes becoming simply painful. Most characteristic is a bout of pain with gout. If there are pains in the knee joint - this may be a sign of destruction of cartilage in this joint. Nevertheless, the exact diagnosis, as well as the prescription of medications should be performed only by experienced specialists.
Flatness can be one of the causes of pain in thelegs, which appear constantly. This disease is characterized by rapid fatigue during walking and a feeling of heaviness in the legs. Flat feet require the daily execution of a set of special exercises, which should be developed by a specialist. To facilitate the course of the disease, you can use orthopedic insoles.
May cause leg painperipheral nerves. Neuralgia causes paroxysmal pain along the nerve fibers. There is no pain between seizures, and seizures can last from a few seconds to several minutes.
For sciatica (lesions of the sciatic nerve)characterized by high intensity pain, spreading on the back of the thigh or the entire leg. The sensations of the patients are described as having a "painful stretched cord".
During the examination, the following can be detected:
- directed to a healthy side, scoliosis of the spine;
- painful sensations arising along the sciatic nerve;
- pain with a passive raising of the leg in a straightened state, when the patient is in a horizontal position (a positive Laceg symptom);
- limited movements of the spine of a flexural nature, as a result of pain on the back surface of the foot;
- atrophy in the shin muscles (with some neglect of the disease);
- absent, or reduced Achilles reflex;
- Appearance on the external surface of the shin of a hypoesthesia.
Attentive it is necessary to be at statement of the diagnosisacute sciatica, especially in children, so as not to confuse it with acute tuberculous coxitis, which is characterized by a painful syndrome in the joint itself, during his palpation, under load (heeling on the heel), and the stretching and stretching of the leg. There may also be a symptom of a "thickened skin fold" localized in the region of the hip joint.
Lesion in the femoral nerve. In most cases, this disease is secondary, with lumbar osteochondrosis. sometimes with spondylitis (often in children), tumors localized in the spine. The defeat of the femoral nerve is characterized by painful sensations on the inner-front surface of the thigh. Also, painful sensations arise when the femoral nerve is being palpated on its way. There are symptoms characteristic of nerve tension: tenderness along the front surface of the thigh. when, the patient lies on his stomach and bends his leg in the knee joint. There is also a decrease in the strength of the quadriceps muscle, the absence or decrease of the knee reflex. In addition, hypeesthesia is observed in the innervation zone of the femoral nerve.
It is necessary to differentiate the pain arising inthe result of the defeat of the femoral nerve from the pain that arises from inflammation in the ilio-lumbar muscle (the so-called psuit), accompanied by contracture of the thigh during flexion. In addition, there are painful sensations in the study of per rectum, as well as during palpation of the abdomen. It is also possible to change blood, increase body temperature. These signs signal an inflammatory process.
The most acute pain is felt with muscular inflammation. Myositis is a very dangerous disease that requires treatment and constant monitoring by a doctor.
Pain sensations in the lower limbs can alsocaused by osteomyelitis - an infectious disease of bones. This disease is characterized by prolonged and acute pain. In such a situation, the cause of the pain syndrome is the bones themselves.
Sometimes the cause of pain in the legs Is a trauma (fracture, bruise, distension, orrupture of ligaments or muscles), in such situations, the measures to be taken are fairly obvious. It happens that such violations do not occur in one moment, but develop gradually, as a result of excessive loads, wearing uncomfortable shoes, insufficient warm-up before performing exercises, running on a hard surface.
Skin redness, fever, andsharp pain in the lower leg. most likely, is evidence of erysipelas (erysipelas). Phlegmon (purulent inflammatory process), thrombosis, lymphatic edema can be characterized by pulsating and pulsating pain in the lower leg, as well as dense edema. Pain increases with palpation and musculature work. When leg pain lasts more than three days - shouldSeek professional help, especially if pain affects all parts of the legs, feelings of numbness arise. weakness, cooling, and the skin becomes swollen, or acquires a bluish tinge.
In order to prevent pain in the legs,follow a number of rules. For example, if there are problems with the vessels - you need to limit the intake of fatty, cholesterol-rich foods, perform exercises designed to prevent the development of varicose veins, and lose weight. Avoid prolonged sitting or standing. If you are engaged in standing or sedentary work - regularly change position and take breaks for warm-up.
Problems with the joints or the spine requiretimely treatment, as well as strict adherence to the doctor's instructions. If problems with the spine occur frequently, and with them irradiative pain in the legs - periodic repetition of treatment courses, which consist of acupuncture sessions, vacuum therapy, is recommended. manual therapy. Also, exercises that help strengthen the abdominal muscles are useful. Such exercises can reduce muscle tension in the lower back, help fight with irradiating pain.
The doctor should be contacted if:
- cold, weak and numb legs;
- sharp pains in the legs last more than three days;
- pain gives to the lower and upper parts of the legs;
- as a consequence of the trauma a strong edema appeared;
- swells and turns blue.
Typical complaints of patients with pain in the legs
- About a year, pain in the leg, to be more precise -in the muscles! When it started, I wrote off the shaking after the load and just did not pay attention. Gradually, aching pain developed into a convulsive. Periodically, my leg grows numb and tingles like I did it. The pain does not concentrate in one place, but passes from, for example, calves to the thigh or knee. Sometimes he gives in the foot and waist! Recently, a seizure occurred at night;
- I have a leg aches for 1 month already: sensations, as if burning from the inside, are covered with goosebumps;
- During the heat, my legs hurt and continue to hurtnot stopping till now. The sensation is as if they "burn" from feet to knees. But this does not happen due to the load on the legs. Just "burn" all the time and a sense of tightness. Periodically, the pain is slightly shooting. The most painful are the joints of the feet and lower legs;
- There was a pain in the left leg from the inside of the knee. Painful, does not pass as a year;
- My back aches. and then the leg. Now constant aching pains in a buttock and gives in a foot, the weak numbness of fingers on a leg or foot is noted;
- My back aches, the pain has gone to my left leg. It was not possible to walk:
- About a week ago, my left leg hurt. Earlier, there were no such pains: it starts to hurt for lunch, regardless of the load. At night does not hurt. The pain is lomiting in the heel and above the heel of the pre-angiopathic joint on the sides of the foot. It gives up to the knee. Light swelling in the same places. Feeling that the leg burns.