Edema of the leg after rupture of ligaments
Damage to the ankle joints is the mosta common trauma that can be obtained on vacation or doing sports. In 70% of cases, ligament rupture occurs in persons who have previously received stretching. This is due to the fact that frequent sprain of the ligaments (especially in athletes) leads to instability in the ankle, and therefore increases the risk of injury and osteoarthritis in the future.
In most cases, ligament rupture occurswhen the foot is turned inside. At the same time, the load on the outer ligaments of the joint increases manyfold. At the time of ligament rupture, small fragments of bones can come off. In the most severe cases, trauma is accompanied by a fracture of the bones that form the joint.
- 1 degree of injury: stretching or a small number of micro-ruptures.
- 2 degree of injury: a significant part of the fibers is damaged, functionality is reduced, but retained.
- 3 degree of injury: complete rupture of ligaments.
Symptoms of ankle ligament injury
- Sharp tenderness in the joint, inability to step on the leg.
- Visible deformation of the joint.
- Hematomas under the skin of the ankle.
- The injury was caused by a fall from a height or a collision with something heavy, such as an accident.
- Pain and swelling increase.
- Peace - it is necessary to remove the load from the damaged leg as much as possible. It is advisable not to step on it for two days.
- Cold - to reduce edema, you must apply an ice pack or cold compress for 10-12 minutes to 4 times a day.
- Compression - the application of a pressure bandage or a tire will also significantly reduce edema.
- Lifting - the elevated position of the limb (for example, on the stool) stimulates the lymph drainage effect and microcirculation, and therefore, reduces edema.
To establish the diagnosis, consultation of the traumatologist, X-ray pictures is necessary.
Treatment for ankle ligament rupture
- Peace, cryotherapy (cold compresses), elevated position. Constant wearing of a tire or orthosis.
- Painkillers inside (tablets, for example, Diclofenac) and topically (ointments, for example, Voltaren).
With the accumulation of blood in the joint cavity (hemarthrosis)a puncture (puncture) will be performed, during which all accumulated fluid will be removed. It is impossible to refuse the procedure, as this will lead to deterioration of the condition, significantly increase the time of rehabilitation, increase the risk of inflammation (arthritis).
The first three days are carried out the simplest exercises 3 times a day for 10 approaches each.
- Static muscle tension of the foot and lower leg.
- Active movements of the toes and in the knee joint.
After 3-7 days (depending on the severity of the injury) the following exercises are connected.
- Rise to the socks.
- Thrust of the object on yourself. It is necessary to hook on the legs of the chair with your toes and pull on yourself. Over time, you should move on to the exercise with weighting (an object on a chair, a coffee table).
- Walking. Up to 2 hours a day on a flat surface in a comfortable pace for yourself.
- To strengthen the muscles of the lower leg and the foot, it is necessary to perform stretching exercises. Static stretching. You will need an expander (rubber band). Turning the legs inside (pronation) and outwards (supination), plantar and dorsal flexion of the foot are performed with overcoming the resistance of the expander.
The purpose of the exercises is to improve blood circulation in the limb, maintaining muscle tone.
Before the beginning of the gymnastics, be sure to perform the warm-up. Never work through pain, it can only worsen the condition of the joint and ligaments.
- UHF-therapy. The use of ultra-high frequency currents during the procedure stimulates the expansion of blood vessels, enhances regenerative and metabolic processes.
- Ultrasound. The achieved effect of the micro massage improves blood and lymph exchange, has analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. After ultrasound, the skin absorbs ointments and creams better, which also increases the result of drug treatment.
- Paraffinotherapy can be prescribed already in the first hours after the injury. Has an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect, actively stimulates metabolic processes.
- Diadynamic therapy. Alternating currents of different frequencies gives an anesthetic effect.
- Magnetotherapy improves blood circulation, reduces edema.
- Massage is carried out for 10-12 days.
- Water procedures. At the first visits to the pool, it is better to limit oneself to performing physical exercises in water. After a while you can swim a comfortable style up to 30 minutes a day.
- Balneotherapy (mud baths).
It is advisable to follow a diet saturated with protein and calcium. For the speedy restoration of joint function, it is recommended to take vitamin complexes and food supplements (glucosamine and chondroitin).
Prevention of ankle ligament rupture
- It is obligatory to do warm-up before sports and stretching after finishing the workout.
- Wear an elastic bandage if you have an unstable ankle joint.
- To buy good shoes with high-quality foot support: the right size, firm back, comfortable toe, hard instep, low heel.
Given the prevalence of trauma to ligamentsankle, measures to restore their normal functioning include a wide range of manipulations. However, it should be remembered that rehabilitation without exercise therapy and physical therapy is impossible.
- Restoration of skin after a burn Under the influence of chemicals, hightemperatures, radioactive irradiation and electricity on the skin, burn tissue lesions occur. To treat this condition, it is necessary to take into account a number of factors. Restoration of the skin after [...]
- Halotherapy: indications and contraindications Halotherapy refers to artificially recreatedclimatotherapy, approximated by the parameters to the treatment of the microclimate of salt caves. The range of indications for such procedures is very wide, but one should not forget about contraindications. Concise [...]
- Myostimulation procedure: indications and contraindications Electrostimulation is the impact of impulsecurrents on nerves and muscles with the purpose of their excitation or strengthening of activity of certain organs and systems. The range of its uses is very wide, but this procedure has [...]
- Treatment with infrared radiation Light is one of the main conditions forthe vital activity of terrestrial organisms. A lot of biological processes can take place only under the influence of infrared radiation. Light as a factor of treatment was used even [...]
- Indications and contraindications for sanatorium-and-spa treatment One type of impact on the body isSpa treatment. The basis of this direction is the use for the treatment and prevention of diseases of natural factors of certain climatic zones and natural [...]