How to cope with leg swelling
About 80% of women in different periods of pregnancyface a problem such as swelling. How to determine whether this is the norm or indicates a disease such as gestosis, as well as how to deal with edema during pregnancy, Passion.ru will tell.
About 80% of women in different periods of pregnancy face such a problem as edema. How to determine whether this is the norm or indicates a disease such as gestosis, as well as how to deal with edema during pregnancy, Passion.ru will tell.
If you have such signs asswelling of the feet and enlargement of the fingers in the volume, this may indicate the presence of edema. Here you can apply a simple method for determining the presence of edema: pinch the skin with a finger on the leg - if a fossa is formed - there is edema, and if it straightened up right away - everything is normal.
Most expectant mothers in different gestational age face physiological edema. This is a natural reaction of the body to certain factors, such as salt abuse, heavy stress on the feet, heat, etc. Such swelling does not represent a threat, they do not need to be treated, they disappear after the exclusion of provoking factors.
But not always swelling can be so harmless. Sometimes they testify to such a disease as gestosis of pregnant women. Gestosis is called toxicosis at a late stage of pregnancy. It usually occurs in the third trimester, but the development of the disease can be purely individual.
There are four degrees of gestosis. The first degree is easy, is called dropsy of pregnant women. As a rule, it is often called gestational edema. In this case, patients complain of fatigue, malaise. Noticeable edema and pathological fullness.
The second degree is characterized by nephropathy of pregnant women. In this case, there are swelling, protein in the urine, a violation of pressure. The threat poses the presence of all three signs. If not all symptoms are observed, the treatment is aimed at their elimination.
The third degree of gestosis is called preeclampsia. It is characterized by nephropathy and symptoms from the brain (reduction of cerebral circulation) and the fundus (angiospasm of arterioles, hemorrhages, edema, retinal detachment).
At the fourth degree, convulsions (eclampsia). This degree is dangerous, first, the possibility of becoming a severe degree of late gestosis, secondly, the aging of the placenta, thirdly, hypoxia of the fetus.
To distinguish the true signs of gestosis from falsequite simply: pass the McClure-Aldrich test, in which 0.25 ml of sodium chloride is injected into the skin (similar to the Mantoux vaccine in childhood) and to detect the time of dissolution of the papule. The norm of resorption of the papule is from 35 to 45 minutes. If the papule resolves longer, it means that the body has excess fluid, and the presence of hydrocephalus is confirmed.
If swelling during pregnancy are visible only onlegs, it's close to normal. Deficiency of a liquid and constant desire to drink appears as a result of increase of needs of an organism. If the swelling, in addition to the lower extremities, extends to the region of the thighs, shins and the front wall of the abdomen - this is an alarm signal - do not hesitate, go to the doctor. If you leave the current condition unchanged, it can disrupt the utero-placental circulation and cause hypoxia of the fetus.
How to cope with edema?
- Do not reduce the amount of fluid intake, sincethis can cause an unexpected opposite effect. If you do not allow the body to make up for the need for drinking, it tries to accumulate water, so the swelling becomes greater. Use at least 1.5 liters of water. Soups and fruits during the day are not considered.
- make the feet rise up in a prone position.
- Do not stay in hot, sunny places. Try to reduce the amount of salt and spices in the diet, sweet and carbonated drinks that delay the removal of fluid from the body.
As options for fighting edema, you can apply the following:
- Do not reduce the amount of water consumed;
- use gels against swelling;
- take a cool baths for the legs (for 20 minutes), then lift the legs to a level above the head;
- perform foot massage with a washcloth;
- take kidney tea and other herbal preparations (according to the doctor's advice);
- drink a glass of hot milk at night;
- spend one day a week on an apple diet and juices;
- brew dried apricots, drink infusion in the morning, refraining from eating and drinking for the next half an hour, and eat the fruits themselves at night;
- Drink unsweetened tea with lemon, you can water with the addition of lemon;
- cook the cowberry compote;
- remove the rings from your fingers so that blood circulation is not disturbed;
- do not use diuretics.