Feeling of swelling of the legs
Swelling of the legs is a symptom that is manifested by visible swelling of the lower extremities, an increase in the circumference, and also, as a rule, other symptoms and unpleasant sensations.
There is a huge number of causes of leg swelling. These can be common diseases (for example, cardiac edema of the legs), as well as the pathology of the lower limbs themselves. Leg edema can be one-sided and bilateral, have varying degrees of severity (swelling of the fingers and feet, or up to the thigh). Based on these signs, as well as additional symptoms, the doctor can give the patient a certain diagnosis.
Below we will consider the most common causes of leg swelling.
Excess fluid intake
Sometimes swelling of the legs can occur in perfectly healthy people. They are associated with excessive consumption of water and salt. Most often there are such swelling of the legs in summer in the heat.
During hot weather, people consume large amounts ofthe amount of fluid that enters the blood and does not always manage to be excreted from the body with sweat and urine. If in this case there is a large amount of salt in the food, then, entering the body, it promotes the retention of liquid in it. As a result, the heart stops coping with a large amount of blood, and first of all it stagnates in the lower limbs. Stagnation can contribute to many other factors:
• Overweight: the fat people often swell legs in the summer, as it is more difficult for the heart to push blood through a large amount of adipose tissue;
• The work of many people involves a long stay in a sitting or standing position: in this case, the blood flow is less intense, blood stasis is easier;
• sedentary lifestyle.
In this case, the swelling of the legs may nottestify about some disease. It is enough to reduce the volume of consumed liquid and salt, and they will pass independently. But all the people who have this problem need to see a doctor and consult.
Edema (swelling) is an excessive accumulationfluid in the organs, tissues and cells. Most often, puffiness is the swelling of the subcutaneous tissue, the so-called edema of the skin. They can be located on different areas of the body, have different sizes, accompanied by various additional symptoms.
Depending on the cause, there are edemas of the following varieties:
• hydrostatic - develop due to the fact that the outflow of blood from the organs is difficult due to the weakness of the heart muscle, the presence of various obstacles to the flow of blood;
• hypoproteinemic, in which, due to the fact that the amount of protein in the blood is reduced, the liquid enters the tissues, to where the osmotic pressure is higher;
• membrane-gene, in which there is a violation of the integrity of the wall of blood vessels, as a result of which the liquid freely leaves them;
• neurogenic - as a result of the nervous system inadequately controlling vascular function;
• inflammatory process - swelling is always an integral part of inflammation of the infectious or allergic nature.
There are a huge number of diseases that can cause swelling.
When the swelling is normal?
A slight swelling of the legs in the evening may wellbe a normal phenomenon. However, this does not mean that in such a situation it is possible to remain idle. It is best to visit the therapist and undergo a survey, take measures aimed at preventing varicose veins of the lower extremities.
Sometimes swelling on the face in the morning is a consequencea lot of liquids drunk at night. It is simply to limit the amount of water consumed, especially at bedtime. You can also limit the amount of salt in the diet. If the swelling still persists, then it's worth visiting a therapist or nephrologist.
Virtually all pregnant women are concernedsmall swelling on the legs during pregnancy. Most often, there is nothing terrible in this. But it is better to visit a doctor of a woman's consultation in order not to miss such a state as gestosis of pregnant women.
Every person is familiar with blisters and smalledema that occurs in the areas of action of allergens: when contacting nettles, after a mosquito bite, etc. These local swelling most often do not pose any danger and pass independently soon after contact with the allergen is discontinued. But sometimes they are huge and require medical intervention. These cases will be considered below.
To edema can cause any diseaseheart, which are accompanied by heart failure, a condition characterized by the inability of the heart to function normally, to fully perform its pumping functions. Such pathologies, accompanied by swelling, include:
• arterial hypertension;
• increased pressure in the vessels of the lungs due to their diseases;
• Heart valve defects, congenital or due to the transferred diseases (rheumatism, syphilis, etc.);
• Angina pectoris - insufficient blood flow to the heart, which is often accompanied by a violation of its normal functioning;
• myocarditis - an inflammatory process in the heart muscle;
• cardiomyopathy - heart damage caused by metabolic disorders;
• arrhythmias - if the normal heart rhythm is disturbed, even if they have sufficient strength, they are wrong and do not provide normal blood flow.