Drug for leg edema in the elderly
Posted by Jenniffer on Tue, 09/29/2015 - 04:09
One of the most pressing problems among women and menare swollen legs. Often, swelling goes away on its own, but in most cases the precedent is not repeated once, thereby hinting at certain pathological changes in the body. What can be the cause? Is it possible to fix everything? How to prevent the onset of edema? Our article will tell about this and many other things.
The swelling of the legs can be caused by various reasons. Conditionally they are divided into physiological and pathological.
The following applies to the first:
- abuse of fatty and salty foods;
- excessive fluid intake before bedtime;
- flat feet;
- overweight ;
- high air temperature (often swelling occurs in summer);
- pregnancy (usually the second period);
- stay for a long time in an uncomfortable position or standing;
- uncomfortable shoes.
The second set of reasons is serious enough to ask for help from a specialist.
Among them we can distinguish:
The causes of edema formation are so diverse that it is necessary to start treatment only after the main source of the disease is identified.
On the causes of leg edema, learn from the proposed video program Live Healthily.
My legs swell: what should I do?
Get rid of the problem of leg edema canonly treatment of the underlying disease, which is prescribed only by a specialist. However, you can still improve your health and, at least slightly, but get rid of swelling.
Partly remove puffiness will help:
- a healing bath with sea salt (it is recommended to use either warm water or room temperature water);
- massage of the legs (lightly rubbing your feet and lower legs downwards);
- light gymnastics (finger movements and circular movements of the feet);
- the location of the legs "above the heart" when resting (it is enough to put them on the pillows);
- restriction in salt (it provokes fluid retention in the body);
- refusal of socks on elastic bands.
A good panacea are folk methods: broths of herbs and berries, diuretics, etc. An excellent effect is elder, sporish, flax seeds, birch buds. Natural ingredients are safe, but women with pregnancy, people with kidney disease and digestive system, should consult a doctor.
Do not forget that the above is assistance, not a full-fledged treatment.
Swelling of the feet during pregnancy
Pregnancy is the time of reorganization of the internal system and the organs of the woman. As a result, there are some complications, the most common of which are swelling of the legs.
The fact is that during pregnancy, the needbody in the water increases dramatically. First of all, this is due to the increase in amniotic fluid. Hormones provoke a constant thirst and a woman is forced to consume more water than usual. In the end, there is a problem - swelling of the legs. This phenomenon is quite normal, but the doctor's observation does not hurt.
"Normal" edema is absolutely painless and does not cause deterioration of the woman's condition. Appear in the afternoon. However, after a short rest in a horizontal position completely pass.
Swelling of the legs can become a symptom of a seriouscomplications during pregnancy - gestosis. Outside, they look ordinary, so many do not pay attention to it. Often the ailment is accompanied by headaches. increased blood pressure. as well as a protein in the urine. Once one of these symptoms is detected - it's time to sound an alarm. Otherwise, there is a risk of getting edema not only of the legs, but also of the internal tissues, placenta, uterus, liver and brain.
At pregnancy it is necessary to listen completely to advice or councils of the doctor and to observe all references.
These include the following:
- Exclusion or minimization of carbonated and sweet drinks;
- decrease in the amount of salt used with food;
- a balanced diet that includes a sufficient amount of protein.
It is better to prevent any problem than to treat, especially during pregnancy, when the body requires special attention.
Swelling of the legs in the elderly
Each age has its own characteristics. In old age metabolic processes of the organism slow down, and the glands of internal secretion gradually lose their former functions. This provokes the retention of water in the body, which ultimately leads to swelling of the extremities.
After 45 years there is a risk of diseaseof cardio-vascular system. which can also cause a similar symptom. In any case, do not postpone the trip to a specialist for tomorrow. At stake, the most precious is your own health.
The causes of leg swelling in the elderly can be a lot.
We list some of them:
- venous insufficiency (such edema is accompanied by pain and discomfort);
- thrombosis (often due to prolonged bed rest, low mobility, flights, etc.);
- heart failure (increasing pain and swelling gradually increase from foot to thigh);
- liver and kidney disease;
- medicines (in old age, the use of medicines sharply increases, some of which have side effects - in this case, swelling).
Depending on the diagnosis, treatmentthe swelling of the legs will vary. However, you can help yourself by taking diuretics that help remove excess fluid from the body. Also good herbs. possessing diuretic properties.
Edema of the legs in old age - not a problem, if you pay enough attention to the body, conducting periodic preventive procedures.
One of the main symptoms of cardiacInsufficiency is the stagnation of fluid in the body, which causes swelling. Lack of right ventricle leads to pulmonary edema. Left - to the swelling of the legs. In most cases, with both heart diseases, both legs suffer.
In the early stages of the disease, swelling of the legsmany seem to be a common occurrence. The feet and shins are swollen, but after a short rest everything returns to normal. This is what drives the majority into error: a symptom is taken for ordinary fatigue.
In case of failure to provide timely medicalhelp, the disease can progress, and puffiness to acquire new forms and move from the lower legs to the hips. At this stage, there are other symptoms. dyspnea, high fatigue, pain in the right side, yellowed squirrel eyes and facial skin.
Control swelling of the legs in the early stagesdiseases are easy: baths, lotions, rest in a horizontal position, broths from herbs and diuretics. All this allows you to get rid of trouble in the shortest possible time. But in advanced stages of heart failure, everything is much more complicated. First of all, in this case, the main source of the problem - the heart - is taken under control.
Here you can not do without medications that have a complex effect on the cardiovascular system as a whole.
Often in such cases diuretics are appointed and,so-called cardiac glycosides. They favorably affect the work of the heart, at the same time stimulate the process of removing fluid from the body. returning the legs to their former health and pleasant appearance.
As you can see, the swelling of the legs is not always purely physiological reasons. They may well be a symptom of such a serious disease as heart failure.
Drugs for leg swelling
To date, physicians have not yet invented a singlecure for leg swelling. Depending on the type of disease, a specific treatment is prescribed, the complex of which includes special medications.
Edema of the legs is divided into three types:
- swelling without pathologies;
- cardiac and renal.
For this type, you do not need to use specialpreparations. The effect is directly on the feet (massages, wearing compression stockings, elevated position of the legs when resting). It is also possible to use topical ointments and gels, such as:
This requires an integrated approach to solvinga problem primarily aimed at fighting venous insufficiency. Recommended special stockings or bandages with a compressive effect. The drugs are prescribed by a specialist, however they usually look like this:
- phlebotonics, such as detraleks and escusans, are intended to strengthen the walls of veins and improve microcirculation in the blood vessels;
- blood-thinning drugs (for example, cardiomagnet, aspecard), removing swelling from the legs due to dilution of blood;
- preparations of local influence (clopidogrel, aescin, tracevazin).
Cardiac and renal edema
Treatment implies directmedicamentous effects on the kidneys and heart. In combination with diuretics, it is necessary to take drugs containing potassium. For example, asparks. The fact is that the body, along with urine, loses valuable potassium ions, which must be constantly replenished.
With kidney failure, potassium preparations are contraindicated.
At the same time, it is important to stimulate the proper functioning of the heart. Here, cardioprotective agents that strengthen the heart muscle come to the rescue.
It is quite acceptable combination of medicinal treatment, traditional and folk remedies. So, on an equal basis with drugs, the use of medicinal broths based on herbs and berries is allowed.
Whatever the reasons and methods for the treatment of leg edema, they should all be approved by a specialist after a thorough examination and diagnosis.
Diuretic with swelling of the feet
Diuretics (diuretics) - groupdrugs, whose actions are aimed at removing excess fluid from the body, as well as increased urine output. Since swelling of the legs is nothing else than unnecessary water in the tissues, the diuretic is the most effective panacea for this problem.
The effect of the drugs is one, howevertheir composition is different. Some of them have their own, unique properties. Depending on the main problem that caused swelling of the legs, this or that remedy is prescribed. Diuretics are divided into three main groups:
The most powerful effect is provided by the last, loopdiuretics. The duration of their action is not great, but they deserve recognition. As they say in the people: "Quality, tested by experience."
One of the most popular drugs of this groupis furosemide. It has established itself as an excellent diuretic. It is often used in complex treatment, having a beneficial effect on the heart, liver and kidneys.
Along with medicamentous preparations, folk remedies with a diuretic effect are actively used. They are safe and much cheaper than the "official" brethren.
Broth from the roots of the fumar
A universal remedy for edema, which, in addition to the main task, copes quite well with the strengthening of the vascular wall.
Preparation: 1 tablespoon chopped root pour a glass of boiling water and hold about 30 minutes on a steam bath. Then leave for 20 minutes, then drain. In the resulting broth, add as much boiling water to a full glass. Take 3 teaspoons a day before meals.
Infusion of birch leaves and spores
Also an excellent tool, actively used in folk medicine.
Preparation: mix the plants (one teaspoonful) and pour a glass of water. Send to the fire and boil for 20 minutes. Insist 30 minutes. Take half a cup in the morning and in the evening.
Another popular means in the people, the raw materials for which it is easy to get.
Preparation: a teaspoon of burdock pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and send infusion overnight. Take the remedy in small portions the whole next day.
There are also a number of natural diuretics "from the bed": cucumber, melon, watermelon, tomato, etc.
With edema of the feet can not do without diuretics. It is not necessary to take medications (if the state of health and the specialist allows), since there is an effective alternative - folk therapy.
Even if the swelling - infrequent, does not cause discomfort, it is important to comply with the preventive measures that will preserve the beauty and long legs health.
- Footwear. Perhaps, one of the factors of the appearance of edema is uncomfortable shoes, on high heels or on a completely flat platform. To improve blood circulation, you need to choose something medium - a small heel. This will prevent not only swelling, but also reduce the fatigue of the legs to a minimum.
- Salt and water. Swelling provokes water, which, in turn, delays in the body of salt. Especially, this refers to summer time, when a person experiences a double thirst and consumes twice as much water. To prevent swelling of the legs, you need to try to exclude salt from your diet.
- Sedentary lifestyle. Life is motion. If you do not follow this principle, you can end up getting not only swelling on your legs, but also other troubles, such as obesity and varicose veins. During the day, the body needs a banal warm-up.
- Sleep and rest. Going to sleep or rest, the legs must be fixed above the level of the heart. It is not difficult to do this by placing a pillow or a roller under them.
- Medicines. One of the reasons for the appearance of edema on the legs are medicines. Consultation with a doctor will help to get rid of this problem: in the extreme case, a specialist will replace the funds for more suitable ones.
Leg edema is a problem familiar to many. Do not be afraid to visit a specialist, because it is possible that this is only the tip of the iceberg. In the case of a serious illness, self-medication is harmful and even dangerous. If swelling is an ordinary consequence of fatigue, then there are a lot of ways to eliminate this trouble. The main thing is to watch your body and notice the signs that it gives every day.