How to identify swelling in the legs during pregnancy
In the body of every woman there are manychanges during child bearing. Some of them represent a physiological norm, while others are extremely dangerous states. One of the most dangerous "side effects" is the emergence of swelling in pregnancy ("Dropsy of pregnant women").
Almost everyone knows that the emergence ofswelling of tissues in a healthy person (and in non-pregnant women) is the first sign of having a kidney or cardiovascular disease. What does the appearance of swelling in pregnant women indicate?
If the first manifestations of swelling of the hands, feet, faceor the body appeared on the term of pregnancy before the 20th week, then most often their cause is the presence in your body of any disease that occurs secretly. Often, the fact that you become pregnant becomes a factor provoking the appearance or aggravation of diseases due to the increased burden on the weakened internal organ. Therefore, with the first symptoms of puffiness, a woman should be examined. Particular attention should be paid to the kidneys and heart. To clarify their condition, it is necessary to pass urine and blood tests, as well as to undergo ultrasound of the renal pelvis and ultrasound (echocardiography) of the heart.
When there is swelling on the legs, especially inthe area of the ankles and under the knees, may indicate the onset of varicose veins. Often such puffiness is accompanied by pain during walking and rapid fatigue of the legs, as well as a constant sense of heaviness in the legs.
What is dangerous for the appearance of edema in pregnant women?
According to foreign experts in the fieldobstetrics and gynecology, dropsy of pregnant women are considered a normal phenomenon, a physiological condition that does not require any medical intervention. The only dangerous condition is the appearance of "accompanying" puffiness symptom - high blood pressure and traces of protein in the urine, because they can indicate a threat of pre-eclampsia in a pregnant woman.
As for our gynecologists, theytend to the fact that the swelling of tissues that appear in a woman must be treated, because in 90% of cases the above symptoms of pre-eclampsia appear behind them, and puffiness is the first sign that a woman begins gestosis (late toxicosis of pregnant women). To prevent the development of these dangerous pathologies of pregnancy, you must definitely get rid of dropsy pregnant! Virtually all women who bear a child (provided that they have no renal or cardiovascular pathology), the appearance of swelling occurs at the end of the second - the beginning of the third trimester of pregnancy.
How can I identify swelling in a pregnant woman?
Determine what you have swelling in pregnancy. you can and yourself. To do this, you need to ask yourself a few simple questions and give them an objective answer:
- "Have not you started to put on too much weight?"- If the weight gain exceeds 300 grams per week, this indicates a delay in the body of excess fluid (and the swelling may be hidden, that is, on internal organs, and not on the body);
- "Do not you press the wedding ring (or otherrings)? How easy is it to be removed from the finger? Does it leave a trace on your finger? "- If you notice that the ring began to crash into the skin, there is a depressed trace on the finger after it is removed or you can not take it off at all - these are clear signs that your hands are swelling. In such cases it is recommended to remove all jewelry from your fingers and tell your doctor about it.
- "Have your loved ones started to press your feetshoes (slippers, sandals), especially if before the leg they sat very loose? "- If you notice that the shoes have become closer, you find it hard to stick to her feet, it is difficult to fasten the zipper or tying your shoes - it also signs that you begins dropsy of pregnant women.
In addition, with the first manifestations of external(obvious) edemas they will be noticed by your gynecologist during a routine examination. Most often there is swelling in the arms and legs, less often on the face (especially on the eyelids).
But in addition to the obvious, there are also hidden swelling in pregnancy. caused by fluid retention in tissuesorganism (this condition is called the pastosity of tissues). These pathological phenomena can not be seen with a visual inspection, usually they start to guess if the woman has started to gain weight too quickly.
Usually women note that in the morning they havethe swelling practically disappears, and by the evening it is again scary to look at your arms and legs. This dependence of the appearance of swelling at a certain time of the day is due to the fact that with a prolonged horizontal position of the body (at night, during sleep), a uniform distribution of fluid throughout the body occurs, therefore, there is practically no puffiness for the morning. But after you spent most of your time on your feet, all the excess fluid flows to your ankles, legs, feet and you notice that your legs are swollen. Usually, when you press your finger on such swelling, the skin in the place of pressure is aligned for a long time. Swelling of the skin, losing its pink color, becoming pale (sometimes even cyanotic), become elastic and smooth.
Methods for the diagnosis of edema during pregnancy
In addition to visual examination, it is possible to determine the presence of dropsy pregnant women in such methods:
- Control of the weight of the pregnant woman by regular weighing (observed in the dynamics) - about puffiness says an increase in weight exceeding the value of 0.3 kg per week or sudden jumps in weight gain;
- Control of daily diuresis (dailyamount of excreted urine) is carried out by comparing the amount of liquid consumed and released per day. If a woman has no problems with kidney function, then a day she allocates ¾ of the fluid that she consumed during these days. That is, if in the last 24 hours your body received 1.2 liters of liquid (water, soups, juices, etc.), then the amount of urine allocated for this day should not be less than 750 ml! ask, where does the remaining 1/4 part of the liquid go? It is excreted through the skin (when you sweat) and when breathing.
- Tracking the dynamics of increasing the circleshank (measure the ankle joint) - if in a week the ankle circumference increases by more than 1 cm, this indicates that there is excess fluid in your body.
- Conduction of "blister test" - introduction of 0.2 mlsaline solution to the inside of the forearm, after which a blister forms at the site of the injection. If your body is in perfect order, then this blister will dissolve within one hour.
Treatment and prevention of edema during pregnancy
For prevention and treatment swelling in pregnancy methods are usually applied tocorrection of nutrition (up to the selection of a special diet), improving blood flow in the vessels of the body, reducing the amount of fluid consumed and improving its excretion from the body.
- First of all, when assigning a certaindiet, it is recommended to limit the amount of salt eaten per day! Try to be a little nedosalivat your food, because it is salt that is a product that helps to keep the fluid in the body! The maximum daily dose of salt for pregnant women is 8 grams (for comparison, non-pregnant women are allowed 12 to 15 grams of salt). For the same reasons, it is recommended to abandon smoked foods, spicy foods and the use of spices. On how best to cook food during pregnancy. we told in one of our articles.
- Reduce the daily amount of fluid,consumed by you, up to 1 liter (maximum - 1.2 liters). Remember that liquid is not only soups, juices and teas, but also water contained in vegetables, berries and fruits.
- Consult your doctor about takingspecial vitamins and preparations aimed at strengthening the blood vessels. If the walls of your vessels are strong, it will improve the blood flow in your body and will not allow fluid to seep through the vascular walls into the tissue. Thus, preventing the flow of fluid from the vascular system, you prevent the appearance of swelling of the tissues.
- You can drink special herbal teas that havediuretic action (but only in consultation with your doctor!). usually the course of such therapy is about a month, during which you will need to drink this infusion over 1/4 cup several times (usually 3-4 times) per day.
For treatment swelling in pregnancy diuretics are also useddrugs, but they are prescribed in exceptional cases (when all ways to get rid of swelling have not produced a result) and only with a pronounced puffiness that threatens your (or your child's) life! Do not do it yourself!
There are no related articles.