Why there are edemas on legs or foots
Under the name of swelling is a congestion in the bodyexcess fluid in large quantities. Almost every person faced the problem of swollen legs. If during the day you actively walked, and by the evening noticed that your legs swelled, this often indicates the presence of swelling. Its seriousness depends on the reason for its occurrence. Edema is permanent and temporary, general and local. Consider common reasons why your legs swell.
Often the reason for swelling of the legs is the presence of another disease. With edema of the feet may be associated:
- phlebeurysm. The development of edema is slow, and it becomes noticeable already towards evening. On the spot, the skin may change color. Edema can have different sizes and be asymmetric;
- heart diseases;
- deep vein thrombosis. Swelling is affected by soft tissue, while swelling is noted for several hours or for several days;
- impairment of outflow to the lymphatic vessels of the lymphatic fluid;
- thrombophlebitis of superficial and deep veins. Edema accompanied by inflammatory signs: redness, fever, pain near the vein;
- kidney pathologies. Spreading of the edema occurs on the back of both legs. Side-effects of the disease are the appearance of dark circles under the eyes, swelling of the eyelids, a change in the color of urine;
- intestinal diseases. Externally, puffiness looks similar, as in kidney pathologies, often accompanied by diarrhea;
- acute respiratory infection;
- diseases associated with the thyroid gland. Edema is located at the lower legs, elastic. Additional signs include the occurrence of drowsiness, swelling of the tongue and shoulders, lethargy, constipation.
Why there is temporary swelling on my legs
The appearance of temporary edema is associated with an effect onorganism of negative living conditions or allergen. Disappearance of such edemas occurs after some time after elimination of the causes of their occurrence. To the reasons why temporary swelling occurs on the feet, are:
- the harmful effects of alcohol;
- overheating in the sun;
- lack of sleep;
- abuse of salty and sweet dishes;
- reception of oral contraceptives;
- taking liquids at night in large quantities;
- the presence of excess weight;
- keeping a sedentary lifestyle;
- period before menstruation.
Why there are constant swelling on my legs
The occurrence of permanent edema is associated withpresence in the body of serious problems. To eliminate them, you should consult a doctor for advice to find out the reason why permanent swelling appears on your legs. For example, the swelling of the legs and waist begins in people who suffer from heart disease. If there are problems with the kidneys, the swelling of the hands and face begins.
Why there is swelling in pregnancy
Often the reason why pregnancy occursedema, is the amount of fluid consumed. Since the future mother needs to feed not only herself, but also the child, she should consume more fluid, which can lead to puffiness of the legs. The phenomenon of fluid retention in the body during pregnancy is called dropsy of pregnant women, and in case of edema, a woman should consult a doctor who will receive a special diet for her.
In addition, the cause of foot swelling in pregnant womenmay be the presence of varicose veins of the lower extremities. In such a situation, a woman is recommended to wear special compression underwear, which should be recommended by a doctor.