Sharp foot swelling
Swelling of the feet is one of the common causesaddress to the doctor. This is due to the fact that the increase in the volume of the legs is clearly visible, often accompanied by painful sensations. The reasons for their appearance are diverse: uncomfortable shoes, prolonged stay in one position, heavy physical labor or illness.
Edema is an increase in any part of the body in the volume caused by the accumulation of fluid. Distinguish:
- light degree - the diameter of the sick leg is 2 cm above the circumference of the healthy one;
- average weight - the excess is 2-4 cm;
- sharp edema - the difference in diameter of a sick leg and healthy is more than 4 cm.
Causes of fluid retention may be a number of changes in the body's work:
- increase capillary permeability:
- mechanical (scar, adhesions) an obstacle to the outflow of lymphatic fluid and blood;
- a decrease in the concentration of proteins, especially albumin, in the blood plasma.
- heart failure;
- diseases of the veins of the lower limbs - varicosity, vein valves insufficiency, thrombosis;
- kidney pathology - glomerulonephritis, diabetic glomerulosclerosis, lymphocytic leukemia, nephropathy of pregnant women;
- violations of outflow of lymphatic fluid;
- hypoproteinemia - a low level of protein in the blood plasma, caused by a violation of the assimilation of proteins, liver diseases, pancreas;
- allergic reactions;
- taking certain medications;
- endocrine diseases;
- joint diseases - infectious arthritis, deforming osteoarthritis;
- mixed origin, combined edema caused by a combination of several factors.
Find out how to remove swelling, help correct assessment of the patient's health and to find the cause of fluid accumulation.
Fluid retention in the body is facilitated by: testosterone, estrogen, calcium channel blockers, rauwolfia alkaloids, ibuprofen, butadione, indomethacin, naproxen, and some antidepressants.
Another important indicator that allows for accurateto establish the presence of fluid retention in the body - a reaction to pressure. Three fingers press on the affected area, hold for 10 seconds, then release and lightly pass over the skin with the hand. When swelling is felt cavities. In the event that such a "dent" on the skin lasts for a long time, the edema, most likely, is of cardiac origin.
The degree of water retention in the body is also estimated from the depth of the depression when pressed. Before the fossa begins to appear on the skin after pressing, about 4.5 kg of excess fluid should accumulate in the body.
During pregnancy, the uterus is strongersqueezes the blood vessels of the small pelvis, violating the outflow of venous blood. A woman feels heaviness in her legs, fatigue, when her ankle is pressed, a small hole appears. Such swelling after the birth is complete, and during pregnancy it is not difficult to cope with them - to reduce salt and liquid intake, to rest more often with raised legs, to stay at home in hot weather, to use compression knitwear. After delivery, swelling should disappear.
Edema on the legs with heart disease occursymmetrically on both extremities, develop slowly, intensify towards evening. The skin in place of the edema is cold, with a cyanotic shade. Consistency of the edema is doughy, when pressed, a pit appears and does not disappear for a long time. In patients, there is an increase in the liver, arrhythmia, swelling of the cervical veins, dyspnea.
Cardiac swelling at an early stage can be treated with foot massage, baths, compresses, long rest. With pronounced swelling resort to medical treatment.
- Diuretics - diuretics of natural origin - parsley, dandelion root, birch buds, and synthetic drugs - bumetanide, torasemide, furosemide;
- cardiac glycosides, improving the efficiency of the heart muscle - digoxin, strophanthin K, korglikon, infusion of Goritsvet.
It is recommended to enter into the diet pumpkin, cabbage, baked potatoes, cucumbers. It is useful to spend unloading days, to control weight.
Initially, small swelling occurs on oneLegs that increase with prolonged standing. At pressing on a tissue there is a deepening, a skin pale, testovataja. At the second stage, the skin thickens, does not move, and when pressing, there is no fossa. In the next stages, trophic disorders are added to the edema. The extreme stage of the process is elephantism.
Precursors of edema associated with venousinsufficiency. serve heaviness in the legs, aching pain and muscle cramps at night. First, changes occur on one limb, then the process can hit the other leg. The intensity of changes and pain is different in both extremities. The swelling of the tissues intensifies toward evening, during the night the volume of the limb returns to normal. As the venous insufficiency increases, other disorders are added to the increase in the limb volume: eczema, dermatitis, and trophic ulceration occur.
With deep vein thrombosis, moderate edemaseverity, unilateral, accompanied by pain in the calf muscles. Pain is worse during movement. There is pain in palpation, body temperature in the area of fluid accumulation is increased.
Kidney diseases cause rapidly developingedema on the lower limbs, face, eyelids. Puffiness is more pronounced in the morning, the skin is pale, warm. For kidney edema is not characteristic trophic changes.
Edema in joint diseases
Swelling of the legs can be caused by diseaseslarge joints. Harbinger of their appearance is the morning stiffness of the joint, a decrease in the amplitude of movements, pain during movement. Edema is local in nature, not extending beyond the affected joint.
How to deal with leg swelling
Useful swimming classes, moderate physicalload when walking, skiing. Every day you need to go from 3 to 5 km. It is recommended to climb the stairs without using an elevator. 3-4 times a day perform simple tonic exercises for the feet.
- Sitting, lift slightly bent at the knees legs, rotate your feet alternately and together.
- Lift your toes with small objects from the floor.
- To roll a little ball on the floor.
- Juice from the leaves of burdock - prepare 1 glass of juice, drink 1 teaspoonful 3 times a day.
- Grape juice - drink half the glass before meals 3 times a day.
- Onion syrup - two onions finely chopped, covered with sugar, left until morning. In the morning, drink syrup.
- Hot herbal baths - chamomile flowers, mint leaves and birch trees in equal proportions, steal for an hour. Add hot water and warm your feet for 10 minutes.
Swelling of the legs can be a symptom of the disease,therefore it is important not only to eliminate the edema, but also to establish the cause that caused it. The latest advances in medical diagnostics with early treatment allow you to pinpoint the source of the problem and restore the slender legs and airy gait.