Medication for leg edema with diabetes
With diabetes, many organs are affected andsystem of the human body. Legs are one of the targets for which the disease beats. Because of the high level of sugar irreversible changes occur in the nerves and blood vessels that feed the feet. That is why proper foot care for diabetes is of great importance.
Causes of foot injury in diabetics
- Diabetic nerve damage is neuropathy.Over time, under the influence of high sugar, the nerve endings of the feet are damaged. This leads to a violation of their sensitivity. The diabetic loses the ability to feel pain, pressure, temperature. Possibility of feeling pain is very important for a person, since pain warns about illness, about danger. When this ability is lost, it is very easy not to notice the wounds or even the ulcers on the legs. That is why the feet of diabetics with neuropathy do not hurt, and they late turn for their treatment;
- Diabetic vascular lesions - angiopathy.In diabetes mellitus, the function of the blood vessels in the whole body worsens. Particularly affected are small (peripheral) vessels of the legs, this leads to disruption of microcirculation and cell hypoxia. As a result, the skin of the legs is very dry and inelastic in diabetics. Such pathological dryness is not removed by moisturizing cream and causes the appearance of cracks in which the infection enters. Wounds develop which, due to lack of microcirculation, heal very long;
- Diabetic joint damage is arthropathy.Disturbance of glucose metabolism of proteins leads to disruption of cartilaginous tissue development of hyperostosis. Therefore, diabetics often suffer joints of the lower extremities, especially when walking. Arthropathy begins with edema and redness of the foot. With the years of deformation of the fingers, there is a pronounced edema of the foot. In severe cases, dislocations, subluxations, fractures occur, as a result of this stop shortening and widening.
In modern medicine, the whole variety of diabetic lesions is usually denoted by a single term - "diabetic foot".
There are many manifestations of diabetic foot injuries. Some of these patients may not be attributed to complications of diabetes, or even not notice. In view of this, every diabetic needs to know the symptoms of leg injury in diabetes.
- dry skin, which can not be overcome by cream;
- peeling and itching of the skin of the legs;
- hyperpigmentation and depigmentation of the lower leg;
- excessive corns (hyperkeratosis);
- hair loss on the shins of men;
- change in shape and thickening of the nails;
- swelling of the ankles;
- the skin of the legs is pale and cold to the touch (seldom on the contrary cyanotic and warm);
- fungal infection of the skin of feet and nails;
- numbness of lower limbs;
- pain in the legs;
- violation of thermal, tactile and other types of sensitivity.
If you do not pay attention in time to the above symptoms, then there are severe consequences of diabetic foot injury.
- non-healing painless sores and wounds;
- abscesses, phlegmon;
- osteomyelitis (suppuration of bones);
Characteristics of pain in the legs with neuropathy
Legs with diabetes mell ill when walking, and inrest, especially pester the patient at night. As a rule, they are of medium intensity, but with time they become stronger and prevent diabetics from leading a habitual way of life. Localized pain in the feet and legs, rarely hurt the large joints (with diabetic arthropathy). In this disease, in addition to the fact that the diabetics have pain in their legs, symptoms also appear: convulsions, tingling, numbness, weakness in the legs, decreased sensitivity, swelling of the legs.
The causes of the above described symptoms may beare different and not always caused by the development of diabetes - this is the pathology of the joints, nerve or vascular lesions, vein diseases, osteochondrosis. To correctly diagnose and identify the true cause, the doctor must recommend that you undergo a test.
Treatment of pain in the legs is different and depends onprimary disease. For example, drugs that are used to treat joint disease do not help relieve pain in the legs with diabetes.
Edema of the feet with diabetes also have different causes. Often, diabetics have concomitant diseases of the heart, and, as is known, with heart failure in the evening there are swelling of the feet and shins. Also, swelling may be due to varicose veins of the lower extremities. Diabetic kidney damage is characterized by morning swelling of the legs.
Foot tests for diabetes mellitus
It is very important to come to the doctor in time fordiagnosis of complications of diabetes. The patient can accurately examine the lower extremities in the "Cabinet of the diabetic foot." Where specially trained endocrinologists, vascular surgeons and nurses work.
Doctors diagnose the degree of leg injury,correct the treatment of diabetes, and also prescribe a specific treatment for neuro - and angiopathy. The nurses of this room teach the patients the proper care of their feet, conduct hygienic treatment of the legs (cut corns, apply medicinal creams, etc.).
To pass examination in the "Cabinet of the diabetic foot" with the initial diagnosis of "diabetes", then at least once a year with normal health.
Studies conducted in the office:
- examination, with mandatory check of the pulse on the lower limbs;
- checking neurological reflexes;
- ultrasound examination of the vessels of the legs;
- checking of pain, tactile, temperature and vibration sensitivity;
Even a slight change in the condition (the appearance of new symptoms) or a slight inflammation on the skin of the legs - an occasion will turn to a consultation with a doctor within a day.
Care for your feet with diabetes is to observe several easy, but very important rules:
- Every day diabetics should be carefullyto examine their feet, especially the feet, soles, gaps between the fingers with the means of a mirror mounted on the floor or by resorting to the help of relatives. When examining, it is necessary to detect even small scratches, cuts, blisters, cracks and other skin defects that can become a gateway to infection.
- Diabetics should wash their feet daily with warm water with neutral soap, special attention should be paid to the interdigital spaces. Wipe them with blotting movements of a soft towel.
- When the first symptoms of fungaldiseases, especially between the fingers, such as peeling, white plaque, redness, itching. It is necessary to address to the dermatologist, he will appoint or nominate treatment, as a rule, in the form of an antifungal cream.
- A diabetic patient is needed dailyTo inspect your shoes for the presence of foreign objects, ruptures of the insole and other defects that can rub or injure the skin of the legs. Any insoles with protuberances are categorically contraindicated in diabetes, since they can imperceptibly contribute to the formation of corns, bedsores, ulcers.
- With great care, treat the nails onlegs, for this it is better to use a nail file, not a pair of scissors. Cut the nails straight, the corners are better rounded and do not leave sharp edges, as they can injure other fingers. If the nails thicken with a saw, you need to grind them from above, leaving only 2-3 mm of thickness. Too thick nails when walking will put pressure on the tender nail bed and cause bedsore.
- For warming the feet, it is better to use warmsocks, but not a hot bath or a hot water bottle. Diabetics have reduced thermal sensitivity, so they do not feel the temperature of the water, which can lead to a burn. For the same reason, diabetics can not soar their feet. When washing their feet, also gently avoid very low or very high temperatures. First, check the water in the bath with your hand and only after you make sure that it does not dip your feet hotly.
- If you find an injury, then remember, becausetanning properties in diabetic foot contraindicated alcohol solutions "zelenok", iodine, as well as alcohol and manganese. Therefore, all damage must be treated with special medical creams, 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, betadine, miramistin and apply a tight sterile bandage.
- As a rule, diabetics have very dry skin on theirfeet. After washing, it must be lubricated with a nourishing fat cream for the feet. For these purposes, cream based on vegetable oils is also suitable. It is also useful to apply daily prophylactic creams with urea on the skin of the feet.
- When the appearance of horny skin it is necessaryto process with pumice stone. In this case, this is the best remedy. However, the pumice needs to be changed frequently, since the fungus itself may appear in it. You can not use scissors or a blade for this procedure. After treatment, the skin should be lubricated with a nutritious cream.
- Do not use patches such as "Salipod", remedies for calluses, cutting tools to remove coarse skin.
- Wear only comfortable shoes. Forget about buying shoes that need to be worn. Give up sandals with a strap between your fingers. When deforming the feet, wear orthopedic shoes. Never wear shoes on your bare feet, darning or dirty socks or stockings, do not go barefoot.
- Walk every day on foot in comfortable shoes for at least 30 minutes. Do massage and gymnastics for the shins and feet. Refuse from smoking.
For effective treatment and preventiondiabetic foot to maintain normal blood sugar levels and follow the rules of foot care. This will help to avoid such formidable complications as phlegmon and gangrene.
The chief diabetologist of the Russian Federation: "To sugar was normal, flush the skin around the navel and for 8 hours ..."