Why one leg swells during pregnancy
How many future mothers suffer from swelling! Often upsetting that favorite things have long and hopelessly small, do not fit into comfortable shoes. In the evening, aches and pains. Though cry! What is the reason? Is it dangerous or not? Can I solve the problem myself?
Explanation should be sought in the hormonal background. After conception, it changes dramatically. The level of progesterone - the hormone of pregnancy - is almost ten times greater. This is necessary for the mother to deliver the baby and safely give birth to it. But! On the other hand, progesterone delays fluid in the body. Violated water-salt balance. Lymph outflow and movement of blood along the vessels of the legs varies. There are edemas.
They do not bother pregnant women from the first days. Women suffer late. How to distinguish between swelling and weight gain? Push your finger on the front of the lower leg where there are no muscles. If there was a cavity that did not immediately level out, then the legs swelled.
Pregnant women may suffer from several types of edema:
physiological (due to the peculiarityorganism to retain sodium and water; often appear after physical exertion, abuse of salting; in hot weather; as a result of weight gain; such swelling is considered natural and not dangerous for health, after birth will come back to normal);
pathological (indicating a particular disease).
a) varicose veins;
b) heart problems;
c) kidney and intestinal diseases;
Specific pathology - dropsy of pregnant women.
The pathological condition, manifested by the inadequacy of the organism to its condition. The reasons are different:
a) endocrine disorders;
b) changes in neuronal regulation;
d) hereditary factor.
The inability to adapt is manifested as follows:
a) the walls of the vessels are compressed;
b) in the body microcirculation is disturbed at various levels (in the brain, in the muscles, in the placenta, etc.);
c) the tissues retain sodium and water.
After the twentieth week of pregnancy, edema appears. They will not pass by themselves. We need qualified medical care. If the condition is not treated, fetal hypoxia may develop.
Habitual shoes become tight, engagementthe ring presses, for a week the woman is gaining more than three hundred grams, the ankle is rapidly increasing (about five centimeters per month). First, only the feet and shins swell, then - the legs completely, the abdomen, the lower back; subsequently the hands, face are involved in the process.
A dropsy does not harm the child. But it can develop into a gestosis, which is dangerous for both mother and fetus.
Small abnormalities are treated on an outpatient basis. If the improvement does not occur, put it in the hospital. In particularly difficult cases, childbirth is caused.
Physiological edema can be removed by yourself. To do this, follow the recommendations:
1. Reduce the amount of table salt.
2. Get plenty of rest. Daily walk in the open air unhurried step. Start at fifteen minutes. Increase the amount of time gradually.
3. Drink clean water at least one and a half liters per day. You can add lemon juice to it. Cowberry and cranberry fruit drinks are useful. You can not drink coffee.
4. Stick to a diet. Completely eliminate smoked and fried, carbonated drinks, limit salt, spices, seeds, nuts, tomatoes. Eat proteins.
5. Do not walk in the heat. Do not sit for long or stand in one pose. During rest, lift your feet to the hill.
6. If there are no contraindications, do physical exercises.
7. Ask your beloved husband to give you a foot massage.
1) For half an hour before breakfast, drink a decoction of dried apricots;
2) Every night, make cool foot baths, after which lie on your left side and lift your legs;
3) For the night, drink hot milk with a teaspoon of honey.
Independently prescribe yourself diuretics and herbs FORBIDDEN!