The leg after the operation of the knee swells
Today there are many diseases, withwhich can be managed with the help of minimally invasive methods. This article will consider such a procedure as arthroscopy of the knee joint: recovery from surgery, as well as the most important rehabilitation measures that will help a person to get to their feet as quickly as possible.
Initially, we need to determine the terms,which will be used in this article. Consider the concept of "arthroscopy." Like most medical terms, it is of Latin origin. So, the first part (arthro) in translation is a joint, and the second (skopien) means "to look". If you translate verbatim the name itself, you can understand that arthroscopy is "looking at the joint".
Medicine, however, gives a more accurate and detaileddefinition. Thus, arthroscopy is a modern, minimally invasive method of surgical intervention, in which specialists examine the internal structure of the knee joint, as well as the content of a special articular cavity.
We further consider such a procedure asarthroscopy of the knee joint. Recovery after surgery will not be as long as it used to be. And all because the operation itself, as already mentioned above, is minimally invasive. And although the surgical intervention itself occurs with the help of surgical instruments, they are so compact and small that the size of the incision will not exceed 10 mm (an average of 5 mm).
Thus, an arthroscope is inserted into the knee joint,thanks to which the image of the knee joint will be displayed on the monitor screen. In this case, the joint itself is filled with a special liquid, by means of which the image quality will be improved several times, and the information obtained will become as complete and reliable as possible. Further through the incision, fine surgical instruments are introduced, which cope with the task in hand.
It is also important to note that such an operationalThe intervention is carried out so neatly that sometimes patients are not even required to take painkillers, they can go home safely within 24 hours after the operation.
Recovery time after surgery
What is the end of arthroscopy of the knee joint? Recovery after surgery, namely the period until complete recovery, in each individual case may differ. And there are no exact figures here, because everything depends on many factors:
- how extensive and serious were the changes in the knee joint;
- what measures were taken immediately after the operation.
The process of recovery can also take placedifferently. However, for everything to go smoothly, you need to follow certain rules of behavior from the very beginning, immediately after the operation. So, doctors advise in the first time after the procedure to not use excessively and not to load the operated joint, so you will have to give up physical activities and long walks. After all, all this can cause puffiness, which, naturally, will provoke painful sensations.
If we talk in general, then get behind the wheel of the cara person can already in about 7 days. At the same time, you can return to work if it is "sedentary." However, it is possible to fully use the operated joint at the household level not earlier than in 4-6 weeks. And only a couple of months after surgery, a person can exercise without discomfort and pain. As a small conclusion, one can say: the stronger the manifestations of arthrosis, the longer the recovery period will be.
If such a procedure was carried out asarthroscopy of the knee joint, recovery after surgery begins with the first visits to the doctor. It should be noted that after such manipulation, the person will have stitches. In time, they will have to be removed. Also, the doctor will have to observe the patient to avoid all kinds of complications. Precautions will be needed for dressings, you may need a puncture (if swelling is severe). However, it is most important to observe the following rules:
- In the first 2-4 days after surgery, the patientpeace is necessary. At this time, the foot is strictly forbidden to load. You may need crutches or a cane to ease the load on the aching limb. It is also important to remember that when walking in the knee pain may occur - this is normal.
- To ease discomfort to the knee jointit is recommended to apply cold. For example, ice can be used about 4-5 times a day for 15-20 minutes. This first of all will help to cope with the edema, which exactly will arise (only the intensity of its manifestation will differ).
- Restoration after arthroscopy of the kneeThe joint will not pass without the application of a pressure bandage. However, in this case, you need to know that you need to bandage your leg with an elastic bandage from the very toe to the middle of the thigh.
- And, of course, during rest the leg should be slightly above the level of the heart. It will have to be placed on a small hill (for example, a pillow).
But this is not the most important thing. The necessary recovery after arthroscopy of the knee joint is an exercise that a person must do daily and as hard as possible. It's the only way to shorten the period of full recovery.
Complex of exercises for the first week
As it was said above, it is necessary to start from an early age, but only under the supervision of the attending physician. What kind of exercises will be important in the first time after the operation?
- Training of the hamstrings. You need to lie down on the floor and try to bend your knees as hard as you can until the pain appears. So it is necessary to do 10 times.
- How should recovery afterarthroscopy of the knee joint? Exercises - that's very important. The next lesson: you need to lie on your stomach, and put a platen under your feet. The essence of the exercise is to press the feet on the roller and "tear off" the knees from the couch.
- The next exercise is also performed in a prone position. A healthy leg in the knee is bent, the patient is not. The operated limb should be "torn off" from the couch, without bending.
- Now you need to hold the lesson in the standing position. So, the diseased leg will need to be lifted by 45 °, keeping it on weight for about 5 seconds.
A man had arthroscopy of the kneethe joint. Recovery after surgery, exercise and maximum zeal will help in the shortest possible time to return the former health. After all, from the fact that a person does everything honestly, the rehabilitation period depends. So, the next couple of weeks will need to perform such actions:
- In the supine position on the back (under the knees lies the roller of the towel) you need to try to bend a little leg in the knee little by little.
- In the course of this exercise, the operated limb will have to be lifted in the forward position, it should not be held for more than 15 seconds on the weight.
- Now I have to get up near the back of the chair. Holding onto her, you'll have to start squatting a little. At the lowest position, you should wait 10 seconds.
- Rehabilitation after arthroscopy of the knee jointwill not do without stretching the front of the thigh. So, it is recommended that the injured leg be bent at the knee and grab the foot with the hand. So you need to stand about 5 seconds.
What is most important afterarthroscopy of the knee joint? Recovery after surgery. The patient's testimonies indicate that even after a certain improvement, you should not leave the class. You need to train up to the eighth week after surgery. For a quick recovery, you will need the following exercises:
- A little crouching on one leg, lingering in the lowest possible position for 5 seconds.
- Slowly climb the small steps.
- The next exercise is carried out in the sitting position. We put the operated leg on a chair, maximally at the same time straightening it.
- Rehabilitation after arthroscopy of the knee joint also includes stretching the posterior group of hamstrings. In this case, you need to grasp the sick leg with your hands, alternately bending and unbending it in the knee.
- It is important to note that at this stage it is already possible to use an exercise bike. The maximum amount of time spent on the bike is 10 minutes.
- What else should include rehabilitation afterarthroscopy of the knee joint? Patients' recommendations are recommended at this time not to be lazy, but as much as possible to walk. Not for long, but often. It is important to remember that after such walks, the leg should not hurt or sweat.
Here, in principle, and all permitted exercises,which can be performed without fear, however with the permission of the attending doctor. This is the ideal recovery after arthroscopy of the knee joint. The patients' testimonies indicate that it is not necessary to run about 8 weeks after the operation. So you can only harm your own health. This is also not tired of reminding and doctors, because you must avoid too much strain on the operated cartilage.
What else is important to remember afterarthroscopy of the knee joint? Recovery after surgery (patient feedback - the first confirmation) should be carried out under the supervision of a doctor. Also, all loads should not cause pain or discomfort in the leg. Training should be directed at improving, but in no way worsen the condition of the operated knee joint.
However, this is not all there is to know about thisprocedure, like arthroscopy. If an operation was performed on the knee joint, there may be a variety of complications. But here it is important to note that the frequency of their occurrence is very low. What post-operative problems can bother? Most often these are infections, thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, and thromboembolism, when there is a blockage of the veins or arteries. It is necessary to immediately seek medical help in such cases:
- There was fever or chills, the body temperature increased significantly.
- In the operated knee joint, there is pain, there is redness.
- The patient does not pass or gradually develop pain.
- Strong puffiness in the region of the operated joint.
- There was a pain in the chest, shortness of breath, breathing became difficult.
Remember: the earlier a person applies for qualified help, the faster he will receive effective treatment.