Types of leg swelling
Today I want to talk with you on the topic - swelling of the feet .
This topic has become for me, and if you read thisarticle, it is possible and for you, up-to-date, after I had a chance to spend a long time on a not very comfortable stair, waving with a spatula, and after brush and roller.
On the one hand, I'm glad that I was able to perform the work, calculated at first glance, for a month, in just a couple of weeks, but did not rejoice at the swelling of the legs that showed up in the evenings.
Therefore, today we will talk about the causes of swelling of the legs and methods of treating this small, but still unpleasant. So, let's first determine what all the same is an edema ...
Edema ( lat. oedema) - excessive accumulation of fluid in the organs of the body, extracellular tissue spaces of the body.
- Hydromeic swelling associated with the accumulation of excess fluid in diseases of the kidneys;
- Cachectic edema occurs as a result of cardiovascular disease or when the body is depleted;
- Stagnant edema is formed with the permeability of blood vessels, pressure in the capillaries, a decrease in the blood albumen protein;
- Mechanical edema is the result of injuries, can occur during pregnancy and tumors;
- Neuropathic edema appears with such diseases as alcoholism and diabetes mellitus;
- Allergic edema (angioedema) - is a deep swelling of the skin. Quincke's edema develops very quickly and also quickly resolves after proper treatment.
Most often, edema appears in the extremities, the abdominal or pleural cavity, in the subcutaneous fatty tissue.
- Great load on the legs.
- High fluid intake, especially at bedtime.
- Metabolic disease.
- The habit of sitting cross-legged.
- Long sitting on low or too soft seats.
- Wrong shoes. Do not wear shoes at a very high heel, or on a very flat sole. It is better to wear shoes on a small heel. Shoes should be spacious, do not squeeze your foot, and your toes should be in a natural position.
- Phlebeurysm. Edema on the legs with varicose veins occur gradually, initially unobtrusively. Strengthening of edema on the legs is associated with finding a person in an upright position and noted by the evening. After a dream, swelling on the legs disappears and again can appear only in the afternoon. With the progression of other signs of the disease, edema on the legs becomes more noticeable. As a rule, edema on the legs is combined with trophic disorders. Often edema on the legs are not symmetrical and, as a rule, only on one leg.
Edema on the feet are formed as a result of the fact thatthe outflow of blood is disturbed and the hydrostatic pressure in the veins considerably increases. Prolonged stagnation of blood causes an increase in pressure first in large veins, and then in the smallest vessels.
In capillaries, the hydrostatic pressure is usually higher than in the intercellular spaces, and therefore tends to squeeze fluid from the vessels into the tissue - there is swelling.
- Violation of cardiovascular activity.
- Kidney disease. Severe swelling of the legs can occur with kidney disease. Such edema usually spreads along both lower limbs and affects, in the main, the dorsal part of the leg, without itching, pain and local fever. It is accompanied by some swelling of the eyelids, the appearance of dark circles under the eyes, often a change in the color of urine and a decrease in its quantity.
- With diseases of the intestines. Externally, such edema is similar to "kidney", but accompanied by no violation of urination, and prolonged diarrhea
Strongly swollen feet also after a person has recovered from an acute respiratory infection. This symptom is a consequence of kidney disease that has arisen as a complication from infection.
- "Elephant" disease. This disease disrupts the lymph flow in the skin and subcutaneous tissue, which leads to a violation of protein and water metabolism in tissues, stasis of lymph. On this soil there are strong swelling, most often legs, and legs become like elephants.
- Problems with the thyroid gland can alsoappear elastic, leaving no pits for pressure swelling, located in the lower parts of the shins. With this disease, swelling of the tongue and on the shoulders, lethargy, drowsiness, chilliness, propensity to constipation is also noted.
- Swelling on the legs may occur and with acutethrombophlebitis, both deep and superficial veins. But in this case they are always accompanied by clinical signs of inflammation - redness, heat, pain along the veins. Much less often there are swelling due to a violation of the outflow of lymphatic fluid through the lymphatic vessels. As a rule, swelling signals about the presence of any disease, and therefore, when they appear, you must always consult a doctor.
Exercises for removal of foot swelling
- Standing or sitting for several minutes a day, press the heel to the floor alternately and lift the sock, and vice versa (press the toe and lift the heel).
- A couple of minutes like fingering.
- Spread and squeeze your toes.
- With bare feet, try to lift a pencil or small ball from the floor.
- Make rotational movements with your feet (from left to right and right to left).
- Put the right foot on the left foot. Raise the sock as high as possible, then do the same exercise with the right foot.
- Stand on your toes and wait a few seconds. Then make 5-10 jumps on tiptoe.
- Bend your toes down and sharpen them upwards.
Medical remedies for leg swelling
Important! Before using the drugs listed below, consult a doctor to determine the exact cause of the edema, and to prescribe the appropriate drugs.
- "Essaven gel" helps strengthen the walls of capillaries and veins, also helps blood circulation and eliminates microthrombi;
- Heparin ointment, which improves blood circulation, dissolves microscopic blood clots, has anti-inflammatory effect;
- "Venitan", which includes extract from horse chestnut, well strengthens the walls of capillaries and veins;
"Troxevasit has an analgesic and cooling effect, at the same time strengthening the walls of the capillaries and veins.
- Against edemas are good ointments made on the basis of horse chestnut.
The above ointments contain rutin and heparin, which strengthen the capillary system.
Folk methods for removing leg swelling
- 1 part turpentine in 2 parts castor oil. Heat the oil, pour in turpentine and rub your legs. After the massage, put cotton socks on your feet.
- 1 egg yolk mix with a teaspoon of turpentine and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. The resulting mixture vigorously rub your legs.
- Astragalus (plant). Decoction of it reduces puffiness and has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system. To prepare the broth 10 g of astragalus steal a glass of boiling water, slowly cool and strain. Take the broth should be 2-3 tablespoons 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks. After a three-day break, repeat the treatment. The general course of treatment lasts 4-6 months.
- For tired and swollen feet is very goodhold a massage with pieces of ice. Better if the ice is not made from ordinary water, but from the infusion of herbs and plants. For example, from sage, mountain arnica flowers, dyeing dye, yarrow, peppermint, eucalyptus.
- The bath. In the water of the tray you can add sea salt, it is good for puffiness and relaxes your feet. Dip your feet in cold water, then lightly tweak massage the swollen areas from the bottom up.
- Contrast baths. Excellent help with fatigue, heaviness and swelling in the feet. Keep feet alternately in hot (5 minutes) and cold water (10 seconds), with the addition of herbs and salt.
- In addition to the foot baths, massage is also useful. After the evening shower dry your feet and begin to knead them first from the feet, the self-massage begins with the big toe on the shin, then from the knee to the thigh. It is useful to click on the following points: on the nail plate, on the base of the finger.
- You can stretch your feet, rolling on the floor a small rubber ball.
- After 7 pm try to eat less fluids. To remove excess fluid from the body use decoctions of herbs.
- Effective decoctions of bark and elderberries with edema of the legs and kidneys.
- If you have varicose knots on your legs, then put steamed elderberry leaves on them.
- In a bucket of cold water dissolve the stone packsalt, then take a shaggy towel, thoroughly moisten it with this water, then wring it out, put it to the waist. Repeat the procedure ten times. As a result, the excretion of urine begins, the swelling disappears.
- Drink diuretics from birch buds, field horsetail extract. Recipe:
take a field horsetail, sporish, birch buds -2-3 tablespoons of each ingredient. 1 teaspoon of the mixture for 1 cup of boiling water, then 15 minutes in a water bath, insist 30 minutes and strain. 1 tablespoon 3 times a day after meals. 3 days to drink, 1 day - a break. The course is 3 weeks. Store the broth in a cool place.
Important! Hot baths are contraindicated in the expansion of veins!
Edema during pregnancy is very common. After all, during pregnancy, a woman has a dramatically changing hormonal background. In nearly ten times the amount of the hormone progesterone that increases responsible for containing contractileability of the uterus, so that there was a miscarriage. But also progesterone promotes fluid retention in tissues and the formation of edema. During pregnancy in the body of a woman, water-salt metabolism changes, which can lead to violations of the outflow of lymph and blood through the veins of the legs, to changes in the blood and the vascular wall. Let's see what edema there is and what preventive measures can be taken to avoid them or improve their condition.
Water is not retained in the body at once. In the first trimester of pregnancy, puffiness is rarely seen. Already closer to the second trimester, a pregnant woman may notice that the skin of the legs and hands loses elasticity and elasticity, becomes "loose". Later, the roundness of the face increases. In the last trimester of pregnancy often swelling of the legs and less often the hands, face, abdomen.
Check if there is swelling, you can push your finger on the skin of the shin in front (the area where there are no muscles), if you press a hole that does not immediately pass, then there is swelling.
During pregnancy, the body weight of the woman increases gradually, a sharp jump may indicate the appearance of edema. Therefore, in the women's consultation, the weight of the pregnant woman is monitored.
Types of edema during pregnancy
Physiological swelling in pregnancy. In some women, even with menstruation, there are slight swelling of the legs, heaviness and fatigue. Most likely during pregnancy these symptoms will be frequent companions.
Physiological edema is a tendency of the bodypregnant women to delay sodium and water in the body, especially provoked by the abuse of salty foods, physical overload and may appear in the heat. Also, an increase in body weight, and accordingly, the load on the legs leads to swelling of the legs. Such edemas are natural, they do not pose a health hazard and as the figure is restored after childbirth, the legs will find their former ease.
Pathological swelling in pregnancy. Swelling in pregnancy can be symptomsdisease. The so-called dropsy of pregnant women is expressed by a sharp increase in body weight of more than 20 kg, swelling of the legs, hands, face and lower back. A woman is difficult to shoe, bend down, eyes become small because of puffiness of the eyelids. When dropsy the child practically does not suffer, this is the initial form of gestosis. It must be treated so that the dropsy does not go into a heavier form of gestosis, which is accompanied by the release of protein in the urine and increased blood pressure. With gestosis, both mother and fetus suffer.
Treatment of small edema is carried out inoutpatient conditions, but if, despite the treatment, the condition does not improve, then the woman is sent to a hospital. If there is no improvement after the course of treatment, then premature delivery is performed. It is necessary to visit a woman's consultation in time, in time to notice and warn a possible illness.
What is the danger of edema in pregnant women?
Foreign doctors tend to consider swelling of pregnant women as a physiological phenomenon that does not require treatment. However, with the proviso that the protein in the urine and high blood pressure do not join the edema.
Russian midwives believe: swelling should be treated, since dropsy of pregnant women is the first stage of gestosis and 90% of cases after the swelling there is a protein in the urine and increased pressure. In time, the treatment started can prevent the dropsy in the subsequent stages of gestosis.
Edema is one of the three main signs of gestosis (he is also a late toxicosis). Usually it appears in the third trimester, but it is possible and individual development of the situation.
Preventing edema during pregnancy
Previously, for "prevention" of pregnancyrecommended limiting the intake of fluid, but now came to the conclusion that if you limit the intake of fluid, the body will try to delay it, thereby increasing the swelling. Drink follows 1,5 - 2l of liquid (taking into account fruits, soups and juices). But it is advisable to drink bound fluids - these fluids are retained in the bloodstream and do not enter the tissues, hence, they avoid edema. They include freshly squeezed juices (fresh) and milk.
- Also, you should completely abandon the productscausing thirst. Try to abandon such products as glazed curds, ice cream, cakes, halva, cheese masses, vanillin, processed cheeses, kefir, smoked, pickled, sharp and fried foods.
- Do not drink sweet and carbonated liquidscausing thirst. Reduce the intake of salt or even go for a salt-free diet. Food should be under-salted, since salt retains liquid in the body. For a day is allowed the use of salt to 8 g instead of the usual 12-15 g.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, cereals. They can be stewed, boiled and baked. Sometimes you can quench your thirst by eating a juicy apple, orange or cucumber.
- Eat better than food, cooked steamed or boiled, extinguished, but not fried!
- As agreed with the doctor, you can drinkphyto-tea with diuretic properties (infusions of leaf bearberry or bear ears, field horsetail, kidney tea). A glass of infusion is drunk during the day for 3-4 meals (1/3 cup at a time). The course lasts from 3 to 4 weeks.
Important! Diuretics prescribe only with pronounced edema, and even then for a short while. It is impossible to take these funds on your own!
- To prevent swelling during pregnancy, try to lead a mobile lifestyle. Movement for each hour can prevent fluid accumulation.
- An effective way to combat swelling is to lie with your legs raised up.
- Wear in the morning tights with a high waistline before you get out of bed. Thus, the blood will not stagnate in the ankles.
- Try not to be in a hot place.
- Make foot baths with cold water. The procedure time is 20 minutes.
- Foot massage in the evenings will also help prevent leg edema, and in case this happens, then the removal of edema.
- Drink a glass of hot milk for the night, 1day in a week on apples and juice and try to brew dried apricots at night, and in the morning the first thing to drink water from it and the next 30-40 minutes is nothing to eat or drink;
- Regular tea with lemon without sugar or just water with a slice of lemon;
- Cowberry compote also prevents swelling of the legs.
- If there is such an opportunity, try to change shoes during the day, especially if you wear high-heeled shoes.
- After 7 pm try to eat less fluids.
- During the day, try to give your feet rest. Stroke, massage.
- Get special medical stockings or tights that prevent the occurrence of edema.
- Stick to a diet with a limited intake of salt and water. Avoid the use of sweet soda.
- Sleep by placing a roller under your feet (a pillow or a folded blanket).
- Do a foot massage every day and make baths with decongestants.
- In the evening, when you come home, take this position: Lie down on the floor, lift your feet and rest against the wall. Remain in this position for 10-15 minutes. Then massage the legs in the direction from the feet to the knees. Movements must be energetic.
Important! If all these tips do not help, swelling becomes regular, firmness and increased skin temperature on swollen areas are felt, be sure to consult a doctor.
Discuss this article on the "Good Forum"
Tags: swelling of the legs, legs swelling, swelling of the legs, from whichswelling of the legs, the swelling of the legs, the treatment of edema of the feet, how to remove swelling of the feet, if the legs swell, swell strongly legs, edema of the legs of the treatment, ointment from edema of the feet, folk methods of treating leg edema, swelling of the feet, swelling of the feet during pregnancy