Swollen legs to the knees what to do
Almost all diseases and injuries of the knee joint are accompanied by the development of edema and inflammation of soft tissues. If you have swollen knee and it hurts - there can be many reasons.
Possible causes of swelling and pain
- Damage to the knee ligaments. When breaking, stretching or other damageknee ligaments it visibly swells, there is a strong sharp pain and a sense of instability. For example, if the anterior cruciate ligament is damaged - severe pain and joint instability will not allow you to step on the aching leg, walking will be almost impossible.
- Inflammation of tendons - tendonitis. Tendons are thick dense fibersconnective tissue, through which the muscles are attached to the bones. When they are irritated, inflamed or damaged, the knee swells, and when walking, running or rotating movements in the joint, there is a sharp pain.
- Inflammation of the joint bag (bursitis) leads to inflammation, a pronounced tumor and reddening of the soft tissues around the knee joint. When bending the leg, severe pain occurs.
- Dislocation of the patella accompanied by a tumor, discomfort, difficulty walking. With the straightening of the leg, the pain intensifies, sometimes it is not possible to straighten the leg to the end.
- Knee joint injury accompanied by swelling, redness and pain during movement.
- Rheumatoid arthritis - An exhausting chronic disease, in which the knee can be constantly swollen and hurt during any movement, especially in the morning.
- Osteoporosis accompanied by a tumor and pain of varying severity, with movements of the joint there is discomfort. Often the pains are weather-dependent (intensified before any weather changes).
- Septic arthritis accompanied by a tumor, redness, pain, sometimes - a fever.
- When gout the knee hurts, swells, redness appears, suddenly there is a strong pain, which lasts for several days, and then ceases.
As you can see, the reasons for the appearance of a tumor and pain in the knee are numerous, and It is impossible to determine why they originated in your particular case. To do this, seek medical attention.
Click on the image to enlarge
Methods of diagnosis and treatment
After examining the patient's knee, the doctor mayappoint an x-ray study, computed tomography (CT) or MRI. If there is a possible infection, you will need to take a blood test. In some cases, the puncture of the joint is performed to clarify the diagnosis: through a small puncture, a sample of blood or intra-articular fluid is taken for analysis.
Treatment will depend entirely on the diagnosis.
If you feel severe discomfort and intense pain in the knee - before calling a doctor, you can try to remove these symptoms. Here are the methods of rapid home treatment:
- Give the knee a rest, try to not load the aching leg as much as possible.
- For 15-20 minutes attach to the joint the ice forreduction of edema and pain. If there is no ice at hand - you can use any item from the freezer (a package of ice cream dumplings, and a piece of frozen meat).
- Compress from tincture of horse chestnut flowers. For 50 grams of flowers, take 500 ml of vodka, stir the mixture in a glass container for a week in a cool dry place, then rub the knee overnight or with pain.
- Compress from a mixture of iodine, camphor, medicalalcohol (taken in the ratio 1: 1: 1) and 10 tablets of analgin. Analgin dissolve in a mixture of alcohols and iodine, compress on the diseased knee. Hold for about 30 minutes, then, when the pain subsides, gently wash off with warm water and resemble for a while
If you managed to remove the pain for a while - this is not an excuse to postpone the visit to the doctor. Do not wait for complications, try to solve the problem immediately!
Everyone can get a knee injury or get arthritis, but there are categories of people who are constantly at risk:
- People are overweight. Excess weight significantly increases the load on the knees even with normal walking, because of which the joints can deform and collapse.
- People whose activities are associated with high physical exertion, for example, athletes.
- In women after 40 years, the risk of osteoporosis is significantly increased, and in general the representatives of the weaker sex are more prone to rupture of the knee ligaments. than men.
- People who lead a sedentary lifestyle, in whom there is a lack of flexibility of the muscles. Such muscles are worse supporting the knee joint and do not smooth the load on it.
- People with certain anatomical features, for example, flat feet or legs of different lengths.
If you know that you are at risk -Try not to overload your knees without good reason. People with excess weight should think about adjusting their lifestyle and diet, because excess weight is reflected not only on the joints, but also on the heart, blood vessels and other internal organs. And do not take your health lightly - pain and swelling of the knee should be the reason for an early call for a doctor.