On the sea swelling of the legs
Under edema on the legs means an increase in the lower limbs involume, especially pronounced with excessive use of liquid, intensifying toward evening, after prolonged standing or walking. Edema is a fluid accumulated in the tissue (intercellular) gaps, which leads to an increase in tissue in the volume.
The cause of swelling can be either in violation of the removal of fluid (blood and lymph) from the lower extremities or in its increased formation.
The most common reasons are from the groupmechanical obstacles. There is a compression of venous vessels with tumors or a pregnant uterus, with blockage of veins by thrombi, with lymphatic drainage of lymphatic vessels. In this case, there is an increase in pressure in the smallest capillaries and an increase in the sweatiness of the liquid of their blood plasma into the surrounding tissues.
Acceptance of certain medications, includingnumber and recommended by the doctor, can promote fluid retention in the body. First of all (because of the frequency of admission) this refers to the group of glucocorticoids prescribed for allergies, inflammatory joint diseases, bronchial asthma, and oncological diseases.
Diseases with foot swellingDiseases, which are accompanied by swelling of the lower limbs, are quite diverse.
- One of the most common causes of edema is varicose veins of the lower extremities.
- Pronounced edema may indicate a long wayheart failure. Insufficient work of the heart also slows the drainage of blood from the lower limbs. Therefore, edema appears first of all on the legs. For cardiac pathology symmetrical edema is characteristic, more by the evening, leaving a pit with pressure, an increase in the liver.
- Swelling on the feet can also be a signkidney disease. In this case, they develop rapidly, against back pain, temperature, changes in color and amount of urine, edema on the face in the eye area. Edemas in this case develop due to a violation of excretion of salt and water by affected kidneys.
- With hypothyroidism (decrease in hormone productionthyroid gland) there are puffiness, which does not leave a fossa when pressed, combined with a general gain in weight, inhibition, lethargy, propensity to constipation and depression.
- Local edema on the foot may appear wheninflammatory diseases of the joints of the legs. In this case, edema is detected only over the affected joint, this area has an elevated temperature to the touch, movements in the joint are painful, its function is violated. This may be a sign of arthritis or arthrosis of the joint. In this case, a consultation with a rheumatologist may be required.
Swelling of the feet should not be underestimated. It is better to visit a doctor to make sure that the reason for this is simply fatigue and heat, and not a serious illness. After a timely diagnosis of heart disease, it makes it possible to prevent a heart attack and stroke, and the kidney diseases treated in time will not lead to chronic kidney failure.
One of the most formidable complications of defeatvenous bed of the lower extremities is a violation of the integrity of the skin, up to the development of ulcerative defects and gangrene, in which amputation of the lower limb is indicated.
With untreated deep vein thrombosis, the development of thromboembolism of the pulmonary artery is possible.
What kind of doctors can help with edema on the legs?
- Therapist or general practitioner (family doctor).
- Vascular surgeon.