How to check the swelling of the legs
If you have diabetes, watch yourfeet. Your attending physician is also required to conduct a thorough examination, and not to take the word of the patient. The fact is that some people may not even suspect that they are at risk.
Everyone who suffers from diabetes must consult a specialist every year to check the condition of his legs.
If doctors detect any changes, you will have to visit medical institutions at least twice as often.
The main symptom of the emerging complications is a decrease in the sensitivity of the legs. Most often - it's temperature, pain, vibration and tactile sensitivity.
You should be disturbed by such signs:
- The appearance of any open wounds (regardless of the degree of their severity and size).
- Corns and wounds that either heal for a long time. or do not tighten at all (this also applies to bone injuries).
- Edema of the feet with diabetes (feet and knees).
- The skin of the lower limbs acquires a bluish, red or black hue.
- After healing of cuts or wounds, brown or bluish traces remain.
- The hairline on legs is drastically reduced.
- The patient experiences painful sensations when walking and even during rest.
- Even small scratches heal very long (1-2 months).
- With diabetes, my legs are very cold.
- At night and at moments of rest do not give rest strong pain in the legs.
How to test your feet?
The lower part of the foot and heel can be checked forthe subject of cracks and cuts after carefully feeling these places. To determine the presence of wounds on the toes and the upper part of the foot, a thorough examination is necessary.
Do not forget about the area between your fingers, however, it's difficult to see the damage, so you need a mirror.
If the swelling of the legs is observed in diabetes mellitus, there is a danger of neuropathy, which leads to both numbness of the fingers and feet, and to the swelling of the extremities.
There is also the possibility of developing the first stage of diabetic nephropathy. as a result of which the pathology of the kidneys occurs, the accumulation of fluid in the body and the occurrence of edema.
The appearance of leg edema in diabetes mellitus is accompanied by a variety of reasons. Often, a patient may suffer from heart failure, which just causes such side effects.
Sometimes the swelling of the legs is due to varicose veinsexpansion of veins. Diabetic kidneys are also characterized by the fact that the feet swell in the morning. To make a correct diagnosis, doctors strongly recommend that patients be examined.
Treatment of leg pain in diabetes mellitus is carried out in various ways and directly depends on the initial disease.
When using drugs used to treat joint diseases to relieve pain in the limbs, the result will be zero.
Only a correct diagnosis, well-chosen methods of treatment, a good diet, plus a course of health-improving exercises will help you avoid complications.
This leg disease is characterized by another unpleasant symptom - frozen limbs. There may be a slight tingling or numbness in the fingertips.
It happens that the legs are numb completely. In such cases, there is a feeling that they are "poured with lead." We recommend that you make an appointment at the diabetic foot. to avoid the development of complications.
Diabetic neuropathy includes such signs:
- Pain when moving.
- Seizures (usually at night).
- "Bake" the soles.
- Painful sensations during the rest.
With this foot disease, doctors prescribe special drugs that relieve pain.
For prophylaxis, the drugs of alpha-lipoic acid are prescribed:
They effectively relieve all the symptoms of diabetic polyneuropathy (list) and increase sensitivity. In combination with these drugs are prescribed vitamins B - neurovitan, milgamma, neurorubin.
At home, you can use ordinary woolen socks to warm your legs.
- Take hot foot baths.
- Use an electric heating pad.
- Warm your feet near the fireplaces and stoves.
Because of the low sensitivity of the limbs, there is a high probability of getting a burn. Therefore, it is better not to take risks.
There are many ways to treat the feet in diabetes mellitus. However, before acting, you need to know - what you can do, and what can not be done under any pretext.
- To obtain a positive and effectivethe result of prevention should be constantly monitored so that the blood sugar level was normal (read about the norms here). Thanks to this you can avoid such serious troubles as gangrene and phlegmon.
- When the slightest manifestations of skin disorders appear, use antimicrobial solutions miramistine and chlorhexidine .
- Do not try to heal damage to the feet yourself. Especially, this prohibition extends to attempts to apply "people's means". It is better to ask for help to professionals.
- Immediately go to the hospital in case of (even the slightest) inflammation of the extremities. Or when new symptoms appear.
- If it is necessary to treat the feet, contact the podiatrist, and if an operation is required on the vessels of the legs - to the angiologist.
Do not delay with a hike to the doctor, properly take care of your legs, give up bad habits.
If you ignore these rules, you can get an infection or damage the foot, which as a result will lead to amputation.
Do you like the article? Tell your friends about it →