Does statin affect leg swelling?
Statins are drugs that can be prescribedexclusively by a doctor and only after a series of blood tests that determine the level of cholesterol. In such cases, their main goal is to protect the cardiovascular system from diseases and acquired pathologies. When prescribing medications, the attending physician must advise the patient on the following points:
- statins - what is it;
- a complex of side effects from taking medications.
The doctor also conducts a conversation on the topic of whatstatins must be taken continuously. Only if this condition is met they really protect the heart and blood vessels and have a pronounced therapeutic effect.
Cholesterol is a lipid that has a naturalnature: 80 percent is synthesized by the liver, and 20 enters the body with food. The role of cholesterol in the proper functioning of the body is quite important: it is one of the building materials at the cellular level, activates metabolic processes, protects cells from the effects of negative factors, participates in the production of bile acid and sex hormones. Cholesterol is "good" and "bad". And from a medical point of view, this classification is as follows:
- HDL is a high-density lipoprotein. People with a high content of such cholesterol in the blood are not prone to heart disease. Excess HDL is transported back to the liver where it undergoes synthesis, so it does not collect into cholesterol plaques and does not pose a health hazard. In this case, taking statins is not necessary, because the body works smoothly and smoothly.
- LDL - low density lipoproteins. The main danger to the body they carry, when combined into cholesterol plaques. What is the danger of this?
phenomenon? Atherosclerotic deposits, which settle inside the vessels (on the walls), clog them, thereby disrupting the blood flow. This leads to oxygen starvation, stroke, heart attacks.
Statins - what is it?
In the XX century, atherosclerosis was recognized as one of theleading causes of death, because it is the cause of myocardial infarction and strokes. For a long time, the opinion of doctors was erroneous, that atherosclerosis is an irreversible and natural process of aging the body. The discovery of statins was a revolution in the medical world: they had a powerful cholesterol-lowering property. The results of the study, which were conducted for 5 years, were the following indicators:
- Reducing the level of LDL (bad cholesterol) by 35%.
- Increase in HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) by 8%.
- Reduction of strokes by 30% and myocardial infarction by 42%.
Statins are drugs that accelerate and regulate the synthesis of cholesterol in the body, reduce its concentration by inhibiting the GMK-CoA reductase.
According to the studies, after takingof the drugs, positive dynamics was observed in patients suffering from chronic coronary heart disease. There are no confirmations that the positive effect of statins on other pathologies and diseases exists. But these funds are not only curative, but also preventive. Since statins are drugs that lower cholesterol levels, they are prescribed to people belonging to the following categories:
- Persons with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia, which can not be treated with lipid-lowering drugs.
- Patients suffering from ischemic heart disease, regardless of cholesterol.
- Patients who had a heart attack, as well as suffering angina.
- Patients with coronary syndrome.
- Diabetics to adjust the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Patients suffering from hypertension, at risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Patients suffering from atheroscleroticlesions of blood vessels. Such diseases include atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels, lower extremities, renal arteries, as well as the presence of atherosclerotic plaques in the carotid artery.
- Persons who are not suffering from cardiovascular diseases, but with high cholesterol levels in the blood.
Statins are medicines that are one of the mostthe best preventive means in the fight against diseases of the cardiovascular system. According to statistics, in countries where sales of these drugs are increasing, the mortality rate from diseases associated with high cholesterol in the blood is significantly reduced.
So, statins. What this is and how much they are needed - we reviewed above. But the opinion of doctors about these drugs is ambiguous. There are valid "pros" and "against" for these medicines. Despite the fact that advertising slogans promise to save the population from atherosclerosis and all the resulting diseases, statins are not always and in any way useful. Especially controversial is the question of their admission by elderly people: first, statins - drugs, the price of which is not acceptable for everyone; Secondly, side effects can cause more harm than benefits when taking drugs as a prophylactic. Based on the results of clinical studies conducted by different institutions, experts say:
- The use of statins as a preventive agent,which reduces the risk of heart attack or stroke, is really high, but the side effects make doctors think about before assigning them to patients who have not previously had heart problems.
- Especially cautiously prescribed statins to people who have cataract symptoms or are already suffering from this disease. According to statistics, taking drugs increases the risk of developing cataracts by 52%.
- This applies to elderly people with diabetes. The use of statins provokes the development of cataracts 5.6 times faster.
But, nevertheless, the newest statins are usedin medical practice increasingly and bring their own benefit. An experienced physician is required to advise a patient before prescribing treatment with these drugs, on such questions:
- Statins - what is it?
- What to expect from taking medications: the positive side of treatment and prevention.
- Side effects and effects of taking the drug.
- How and in what doses to take the drug.
Statins and cholesterol: the reverse side of the medal
Drug reduction of cholesterol in the blood leads to a change in other indicators in the body:
- Statins reduce the production of not only cholesterol,but also of its predecessor - mevalonata. It is the source of many important substances that perform biological functions in the body. The lack of such substances can lead to other diseases.
- Low cholesterol can be more harmful than high: this leads to an increased risk of cancer, anemia, nervous system diseases and liver.
- According to studies conducted in the US, an increase in the level of cholesterol is provoked by a low content of magnesium in the body. Its deficiency leads to angina, hypertension, the development of diabetes and arrhythmia.
- "Bad" cholesterol takes an active part inrestoration of tissues at the cellular level. Taking statins can suppress this function, leading to myalgia (weakness, edema, muscle pain) and even to muscular dystrophy.
Harm of statins with their long reception is expressed by such side effects:
- Allergic reactions: itching, rash on the skin, urticaria, anaphylaxis, exudative erythema, Lyell's syndrome.
- Digestive system: indigestion, nausea, vomiting, hepatitis, pancreatitis, jaundice.
- Hematopoiesis: thrombocytopenia.
- Nervous system: dizziness, paresthesia, amnesia, peripheral neuropathy, general malaise, weakness.
- Musculoskeletal system: convulsions, back pain, arthritis, miasitis.
- Exchange processes: hypoglycemia (decrease of sugar in the blood), risk of diabetes.
Long-term use of statins can lead to insomnia, headaches, impotence, weight gain or anorexia.
Some principles of statin selection
If after all the pros and cons were decided to prescribe statins, then it is worth taking into account some features: compatibility with other drugs and the presence of chronic diseases.
- Taking statins with medications for gout, diabetes and hypertension can trigger a risk of myopathy doubling.
- In chronic liver diseases,Take drugs with additional protective functions. This is rosuvastatin in low doses and pravastatin ("Praviksol"). Together with them, it is strictly forbidden to take antibiotics and alcohol.
- With constant pain in the muscles or with physical exertion that can cause damage to muscle tissue, it is advisable to take pravastatin.
- With extreme caution appoint drugspatients with chronic kidney disease. Categorically, toxic for the kidneys of statins can not be used: the name of fluvastatin preparations is Lescola Forte, atorvastatin is Lipitor.
If the goal of taking statins is to lower low-density cholesterol, then they can be used in combination with nicotinic acid. Ideal agents are rosuvastatin or atorvastatin.
Regarding their activity to reduce cholesterol, statins are divided into 6 groups:
Level of cholesterol reduction,%
Words programming misfortune, or Neversay this. Do you realize that you can unwittingly program your own life? It is only necessary to get used to the use of some stable expressions.
How a python "dined" a porcupine and what it is forit ended The cyclist, who was driving to Lake Eland, discovered a huge snake, obviously eating something very large. Python, judging by the impressive size of his "belly", n.
13 celebrities who look better withoutmakeup Super glamorous, bright, flashy makeup, maybe great for a red carpet or scene, but sometimes our favorite stars look the best.
10 Common symptoms of cancer that peopleignore Cancer is an incredibly dangerous disease that can lead to death. But if you find symptoms in time, then the process will be possible.
9 reasons why you do not like people at once There are many ways to make sure that others do not want to have anything to do with you. And most of them do not require much effort. After all.
Top 10 Simple and Effective Tips for Losingweight What is the path to success? Do not be surprised, this is the simplest and most direct way. Perhaps, for some it will seem obvious, but it's worth it.