Swelling of the legs and stomach causes treatment
Edema - a serious symptom, requiring careful comprehensive examination of the patient and adequate treatment.
Doctors of the MC "Stolitsa" will help you!
- Perform a medical examination using the most modern equipment and identify the cause of edema.
- They will give recommendations on the treatment of a disease or condition that causes shortness of breath, and lifestyle adjustments.
- Provide the possibility of round-the-clock remote monitoring of your heart condition - cardiomonitoring.
Edema is characteristic of many diseases - allergic, kidney disease, liver, heart. It is important to accurately identify the cause of edema, since the correct diagnosis is the key to effective treatment.
Edema in heart diseases develop withsevere heart failure. The heart does not cope with the load, which leads to a slowing of blood flow in the vascular bed and the accumulation of fluid in the tissues, primarily on the legs. A simple test: press your finger on the front area of the leg over the bone and hold for 1-2 seconds. If, after pressing, there is a slowly disappearing fossa, then there is edema. Another sign is the increase in weight due to fluid retention in the body.
- Begin with the legs and lower abdomen, in bedridden patients - from the waist and sacrum, are located symmetrically
- Cardiac edema develops slowly, gradually, within weeks, months
- The edema is dense, leaving a pit under pressure
- Accompanied by augmentation of the liver
- In severe cases, cardiac edema is accompanied by ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity), spread throughout the body
- Combined with other symptoms of heart failure - dyspnea, worse in prone position, tachycardia, pallor, even cyanotic lips, poor tolerance of the slightest physical exertion
- Disappear when the heart failure is compensated
- First there are edemas on the face, under the eyes
- Swelling soft, loose, pale skin
- Kidney swelling occurs very quickly, overnight or several days
- The liver does not suffer
- Shortness of breath and other symptoms of heart failure are not present
- There are symptoms of kidney damage - general weakness, headache, back pain, it is possible to change the color of urine, a decrease in the amount of excreted urine
- In the urine appears protein and blood (determined by the analysis of urine)
- They can develop a few days or weeks after the infection (sore throats, SARS)
- Develop in response to contact with an allergen, an insect bite
- Edema develops rapidly (it can in minutes, right before our eyes), is very pronounced
- It often begins with eyelids, the face with the involvement of mucous membranes (conjunctivitis, lips), can spread to the hands, elbows and knee folds
- It is accompanied by an itch, possibly a rash (hives)
- In severe cases, edema can seize the larynx, which can lead to suffocation
- Can be combined with bronchospasm (difficulty breathing, especially on exhalation)
Allergic swelling, accruing or accompanied by difficulty breathing, require urgent medical attention.
Before the arrival of a doctor or the delivery of a patient to a medical institution, it is necessary:
- take an antihistamine drug (diphenhydramine, tavegil or suprastin 1 tablet),
- when weighting the condition - take a hormone pill - prednisolone or dexamethasone,
- with difficulty breathing - inhale 1-2 doses of medication from the inhaler (salbutamol, berotek).
Treatment of edema requires treatment of the disease, which was the cause of edema development - compensation of heart failure, treatment of kidney disease, etc.
But there are general recommendations.
- It is necessary to limit salt intake to 1-1.5 g per day
- Limit the amount of liquid consumed to 0.8-1.0 liters per day (including soups)
- To measure daily volume of allocated urine (the volume of consumed liquid should approximately correspond to the volume of urine output)
- Diuretics apply strictly toappointment and under the supervision of a doctor, since a number of diuretic drugs have the property of removing potassium from the body. A lack of potassium causes weakness, a violation of the rhythm of cardiac activity, can cause seizures. Therefore, the doctor, limiting the intake of salt and appointing diuretics, monitors the level of electrolytes in the blood, timely adjusting the dose of drugs, changing diuretics for a certain period. Self-medication can greatly harm the patient.
- Partially compensate for potassium losses can be eaten with foods rich in potassium products - raisins, dried apricots, baked potatoes, dog rose, rice, oatmeal.
Treatment of heart failure and edema, bothone of her symptoms, most often a lifelong process. It is necessary to choose a therapy that supports a compensated state of the cardiovascular system, and regularly visit your cardiologist to monitor the process.
At the first signs of heart failure, contact the cardiology center "Stolitsa"! Edema is evidence of severe circulatory failure.
Do not allow serious complications. Come on time!
Mamaev Huseyn Kerimovich
Head of Cardiology Department of the clinic on Arbat, Deputy Chief Doctor for clinical and expert work of the clinic in Arbat
Doctor of Medical Sciences
Tartakovsky Lev Borisovich
Head of the Department of Cardiology, Deputy Chief Physician for clinical and expert work at the Leninsky Clinic
Candidate of Medical Sciences
Kolesova Marina Borisovna
doctor of the highest qualification category