Treatment recommendations post-traumatic cerebral edema
Under post-traumatic encephalopathyimply any change in the function and structure of the brain that occurs as a result of mechanical action. The danger and insidiousness of this disease lies in the fact that the symptoms can appear and grow after a complete, it would seem, recovery.
Among the causes of this type of encephalopathy, the first place is a brain injury. There are five steps in the mechanism of the development of the disease:
- Direct damage to the nervous tissue (usually frontal and temporal lobes) at the time of injury.
- Change in blood supply to the brain due to cerebral edema.
- Disturbance of circulation of cerebrospinal fluid due to compression of the ventricles.
- In connection with the lack of regeneration of nerve cells, their connective tissue replaces with the formation of scars and adhesions.
- The pathological response of the immune system, which begins to perceive its own nerve cells as a foreign agent (autoneosensitization).
Signs of posttraumatic encephalopathy directly depend on the location of the lesion and its size. In the case of diffuse changes, the symptoms will be more pronounced.
Usually this disease is manifested by the following set of symptoms:
- Astheno-neurotic syndrome, associated with the depletion of the nervous system.
- Nystagmus (rapid involuntary jerking of the pupils).
- Headache, constant, throbbing. It is associated with a violation of the circulation of lymph. This does not help conventional analgesics.
- Dizziness. especially during exercise.
- Sleep disturbance. People with posttraumatic encephalopathy often suffer from insomnia or intermittent sleep. Therefore, they are forced to take sleeping pills every day, which only worsens the condition of their nervous system.
- Emotional lability in which control of one's behavior is disturbed. A person can show unreasonable aggression towards others.
- Reducing the level of intelligence and memory is especially characteristic of people engaged in mental work.
- Depression from the realization of helplessness before the disease.
- Epileptic seizures. associated with damage to certain areas of the brain and the formation of foci of pathological activity.
It should be noted that almost all of these symptoms usually appear several months or years after the injury.
The diagnosis is based on careful collectionanamnesis, which may indicate the presence of a traumatic brain injury some time ago. To confirm the diagnosis, you must perform a computer or magnetic resonance imaging. With these studies, the doctor receives detailed information about focal or diffuse changes in the substance of the brain. In addition, it allows you to exclude another pathology of the central nervous system, accompanied by a similar symptomatology.
As an additional method of examination it is desirable to perform electroencephalography. which will reveal the pathological focus of epileptic activity.
The main task of treating posttraumatic encephalopathy is to eliminate the symptoms of the disease.
So, with a headache caused by intracranial hypertension. the appointment of diuretics and analgesics.
Psychotropic drugs and psychotherapeuticsessions can be effective in a number of cases of disorders in the psychoemotional sphere. In addition, prescribe B vitamins and various nootropics, which improve the metabolism of nervous tissue.
Physiotherapy includes a combination of reflexotherapy and laser treatment. Its effectiveness has not been proven.
Important is the observance of a healthy lifestyle, as well as the refusal of alcohol. It is necessary to exclude all additional harmful effects on the nervous system.
Prognosis for post-traumatic encephalopathyadverse. This is mainly due to the fact that against the background of the treatment the brain tissue continues to disintegrate under the influence of human immunity. Modern methods of treatment can only slow the progression of the pathological process, but do not stop it.
How we save on supplements and vitamins. probiotics, vitamins, intended forneurological diseases, etc. and we order on iHerb (under the link the discount is 5 $). Delivery to Moscow is only 1-2 weeks. Much cheaper several times than to take in a Russian store, and some goods in principle can not be found in Russia.